more carnage (canyon)~~

P

pokeyYJ

Are you guys talking about Old Ward Canyon Road above the "B" in Bountiful?

Box Rocket

bored
I've got a softtop and use it a lot in the early spring and early fall, but when it get's cold I really prefer the hardtop. My problem is that my cruiser is still my daily driver. If it turned into a trailer queen or just a trail truck I think I would definitely ditch the hardtop.

P

pokeyYJ

Do you guys want to make it harder? Because I don't think that it is that hard right now. All though some of the hills above Buckland flats? are pretty hard. Do you guys run Ward Caynon alot. I live about 5 min away from there and have run it a couple of times. How hard is it to do in the snow?:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Read Adams earlier post...I think he mentions that the goal is to slowly improve the trail with the cooperation of the FS.

Check it out in the snow this weekend and give us a report on how hard it is... I have never run the trail so I can't be a good gauge of its dificulty.....:D

P

pokeyYJ

Wish I could check it out this weekend but I'm going to Moab. I don't think that there is much snow up there right now. I tried getting though it a couple of years ago with the snow but I had bald swampers and could only get about fifteen feet up the trail before I would just spin.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Well let us know when you head up there and what its like in the snow... heck for that matter tell us how moab is this weekend also...make us jealous.... haha your going to miss the swap meet... I have a feeling that will compare wiht moab....:D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I can't speak for the Locals on RME who are close to Carnage Canyon, but if they want an Organization to associate with, I'd be glad to provide it.

Heck, I'd probably be making weekly drives up there to run it myself, if its all its cracked up to be.

Brett, Jim, Spence....... what do you guys think?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Shot Greg... I think this is a great idea...we need to hear from some of the dudes in the ogden area......lets get this rolling....

holler if ya' need some help...

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
I have not been up carnage very far (mostly on foot), but carnage /w snow is no go. To make it you would need 45"s /w door knobs imbeded into each lug. We are talking about 35+ degrees of incline for the entire trail /w loose rocks, grave, and dirt anywhere there isn't a bolder. Snow on top of all of that would make it virtualy impossible to climb even if there where no obsticles in the way. I see only two possibilities, an ultra light zuk that requires little traction in the first place, or a mog /w the affore mentioned door knobs in place.

Snow? Have fun...:rolleyes:

jp008

Originally posted by Greg
I can't speak for the Locals on RME who are close to Carnage Canyon, but if they want an Organization to associate with, I'd be glad to provide it.

Heck, I'd probably be making weekly drives up there to run it myself, if its all its cracked up to be.

Brett, Jim, Spence....... what do you guys think?

I'll be happy to do whatever it takes. I am going to be gone quite a bit but when I'm home I'll definately help out with keep up on "Carnage".

xjc

I give up :(
no snow up north here. this weekend would be possible. Let spence or me know and we would be happy to take you there.

if the trail is even wet it would be impossible. it's basically boulders and loose rock at a 45degree incline. With snow you couldn't even get close to the trail.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Id be up for it, Id like to take a look at BB88's kick if hes going, take some digital cam pics :p

jp008

I can't do it this weekend I have a show at the E-Center Friday and Saturday. Sunday is always possible though. I'll keep an eye out for posts.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Did we ever hear from any other clubs from up North that might be interested in a combined effort with RME? Winter is the best time to sit down with the city, FS, etc.. and get this thing rolling. Possibly recruit the efforts of the U4WDA, since they have done huge amounts of work towards keeping other trails open...:D

BTW...Do your part and join the U4WDA...:D

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Carnage canyon is diffrent from other trails. This trail is not well known at all. Not many people outside of RME know about it, and personaly, I wouldn't mind keeping it on the down-low so it dosn't draw much attention. As long as there arn't hardly any people running it, it won't need any upkeep.

Checking for permision to run it is fine, making it public will just get it closed because people will bring their F-950s and trailers and try to park on the side of the road, drawing more attention of old ladies and treehuggers who will try to get it closed.

Summed up: leave it alone.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I agree on keeping it out of the public spotlight to keep traffic down but it is only a matter of time before legality must be addressed. I don'y live up there so I won't press the issue other than stating that keeping it quiet isn't always the best solution.

Corner Canyon in Draper was about the same for some time, everyone kind've knew that it wasn't legal yet no one got in much trouble for being up there, until a few years back they started regulary patrolling the area including the use of helicopters. In a matter of months I got two tickets for being up their, both of which were partially dismissed because no one was positive of the boundaries etc. But know the boundaries are well defined "nothing off of the main road". period...(not that this keeps people from wheeling up their!)

I guess the first step may be to quietly find out who the land belongs to, public or private...:confused:

G

Originally posted by jp008
I can't do it this weekend I have a show at the E-Center Friday and Saturday. Sunday is always possible though. I'll keep an eye out for posts.

ILL BE THERE FRIDAY NIGHT :D :D :D :D :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
I agree on keeping it out of the public spotlight to keep traffic down but it is only a matter of time before legality must be addressed. I don'y live up there so I won't press the issue other than stating that keeping it quiet isn't always the best solution.

Corner Canyon in Draper was about the same for some time, everyone kind've knew that it wasn't legal yet no one got in much trouble for being up there, until a few years back they started regulary patrolling the area including the use of helicopters. In a matter of months I got two tickets for being up their, both of which were partially dismissed because no one was positive of the boundaries etc. But know the boundaries are well defined "nothing off of the main road". period...(not that this keeps people from wheeling up their!)

I guess the first step may be to quietly find out who the land belongs to, public or private...:confused:

I totally agree with you Kurt....The best route would be to define if it's legal. If it's found to be, then it would be better for everyone because you don't have to sneak around, running it. If it can't be made legal, then we're in the same position, just a little more informed.

It can be legal and kept on the Down-Low, like Rattlesnake.