More Death Wobble

travK5

98 TJ WITH A 4 IN LIFT.
So I Replaced The Stock Track Bar With An Aftermarket One (helped A Little Bit) Put A New Steering Stabilizer (didn't Help At All) And New Lower Control Arms. I Have Played With The Caster And The Alignment (took It From An 1/8 To A Little More Than A 1/4 Of Toe In). But I Sitll Have Death Wobble Problems.

Any Advise. Or Am I Just Going To Have To Replace The Stock Upper Arms, And All Of The Steering To See If That Fixes The Problem??

Help

TwistedTJ

I just cured mine! :D 89TJ 5.5" RE long arm suspension.

I have Dana 44 wagoneer front end with wagoneer steering I still had death wobble develop. Ended up being my drag link that was worn out. I replaced that last week and perfect no more death wobble... sort of. -_-

DorkAlert

travK5 said:
98 TJ WITH A 4 IN LIFT.
So I Replaced The Stock Track Bar With An Aftermarket One (helped A Little Bit) Put A New Steering Stabilizer (didn't Help At All) And New Lower Control Arms. I Have Played With The Caster And The Alignment (took It From An 1/8 To A Little More Than A 1/4 Of Toe In). But I Sitll Have Wobble Problems.

Any Advise. Or Am I Just Going To Have To Replace The Stock Upper Arms, And All Of The Steering To See If That Fixes The Problem??

Help

I recently finished trouble my wobble(DW).

Of the billions of aftermarket track bars which one did you decide to purchase?...Are you sure the trackbar is tight? Are there any odd looking spaces where the trackbar mounts to the chassis bracket and the axle. Are you tires properly balenced? Do you have a bent rim? Are any of your control arms bent? Loose? Check the bracketry on your D30. It is known to bend and tear as the gage of steel used is not very thick and is prone to be damaged if wheeled hard. This could be affecting th geometry of your axle enough to make it a problem. You may want consider checking the ball joints on your D30...not likely but a possibility. Also check your wheel bearings..not likely but also a possibility. You also may want to consider repacing your control arms and switching to a long arm. This may not be a direct cause of your DW but it will give the opportunity and excuse to replace any worn parts and have a smoother ride. The Teraflex kit is fairly inexpensive and is easy to install.

Good Luck!

travK5

thanks for all of the advise now all i need is the time to play with it. I have noticed that one of my front tires has ALOT of weight on it! so i might try to put it on the back and see if that helps? the track bar bolts are as tight as i dare take them. the lower front control arm mount is bent about an 1/8 of an inch from contact with a rock, but it just sort of rolled the bottom of the bracket. I can still rotate the cam bolt a full 360', and it still fits the control arm snug.

I only wish that i had the money for a long arm kit. I heard that they cure everything ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (atleast thats what i am trying to tell my wife)

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I've heard that a long arm kit helps a lot. I just cured mine with new tires. My old ones were wearing crappy and even though after a balance there was no vibrations I still had DW. New tires and not even a hint of DW now.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i had dw on my xj with a 3" lift! i got tires of replacing bushings and tre's and balljoints... so i swapped to leafs, shackle reversal style. drives way better now and i am at like 8-9"s of lift
the stock setup sucks

NHMuddrunner

Will Wheel for Money
If you are still running stock upper arms...that could be your problem. The lower adjustable arms are great for recentering the tire in the wheel well but to truely dial in the caster, you need adjustable upper arms. Sorry but those are the facts.

travK5

NHMuddrunner said:
If you are still running stock upper arms...that could be your problem. The lower adjustable arms are great for recentering the tire in the wheel well but to truely dial in the caster, you need adjustable upper arms. Sorry but those are the facts.

yes I still have the stock upper control arms.
so what it the easiest and cheepest fix for me. I just have to get by until i have the cash for a long arm kit. Is there anything that i can do to get by until then? But the whole wobbling thing is just getting on my nerves :mad2:

thanks for your input

travis

travK5

Jay5.9L said:
I've heard that a long arm kit helps a lot. I just cured mine with new tires. My old ones were wearing crappy and even though after a balance there was no vibrations I still had DW. New tires and not even a hint of DW now.

so what tires were you running and what tires did you put on that cured the wobble. what rim signs etc.

i had my tires balanced (i guess) but there is ALOT of weight on one of the tires. I think that when i get a free hour i am going to switch my tires around and see if I have a bad tires or something like that.

Last edited:

my4thjeep

Tire pressure affects my death wobble. If the front tires are different or above 30 psi I get the dw a lot more often.

NHMuddrunner

Will Wheel for Money
my4thjeep said:
Tire pressure affects my death wobble. If the front tires are different or above 30 psi I get the dw a lot more often.

That is not death wooble....DW is cause from suspension and steering geometry problems. If you are getting wooble from your tires, get them balanced.

my4thjeep

NHMuddrunner said:
That is not death wooble....DW is cause from suspension and steering geometry problems. If you are getting wooble from your tires, get them balanced.

Oh believe me it is the death wobble. The air pressure seems to affect the size of the bump that starts the wobble. For example I work up Provo Canyon and until recently there was a bump that would cause the Death Wobble. I noticed that if my front tire pressure was higher than 30 psi or if it wasn't identical the bump would start the death wobble. Lowering the pressure or matching pressure would lower the occurance of dw. I don't believe its a cure but it reduces the symptoms.

I suspect its my track bar as I just redrilled the stock one. I have been too cheap to fix it.

Last edited:
Start with the basics, PSI. Make sure all your tires have the same amount ;) Then, as you mentioned, the balance of the tires. It's possible that the damn weights get knocked off during trail rides. If that is a problem there is some silicate beads that are placed into the tire to take place of the external wheel weights for balancing, Equal.

Here's some info on it.

www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/New Jun 2003/Equal tire balancer brochure.pdf

travK5

chevtech said:
What lower control arms did you get?

I think that they are just some tuff countries or something like that. They came with the jeep. poly bushings in like 1"round tube. they suck but thats what I have for now.