Mortgage Rates

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like rates are creeping up slowly. They are up a quarter percent since we locked in. We are finally closing tomorrow morning.

I've been watching that. I just read an article on Bankrate.com that analysts are nearly 50/50 split on where the interest rates are going to go within the next 2 months. There's a slight lean towards another decline in rates, if anything. I hope so!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
chart_img.aspx

It's like watching a bouncy ball and it's driving me NUTS :rolleyes:

Greg

Admin
I know this has been mentioned in Kurts thread about ARMS, but it looks like rates are back at at fairly low levels again. Currently I can get 30 yrs at 5.47% APR and a 15 yr loan at 5.25% APR. I wonder where they'll go from here, perhaps down a tad more?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ya, it's a good time. Thats why I'm trying to prep my home for sale. I think now is a great time to try and move a starter home and move up to something a little bigger/better.

Bart

I heard talk this morning of another drop in the prime rate to help with the Wall Street disaster that's happeing. I don't know how long that takes to filter into ARMs. I know mortgage $$$ are getting tougher to come by at the moment with all the failing lending institutions, but it should come around soon.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I know mortgage $$$ are getting tougher to come by

I heard that a lot when we applied for our mortgage.... I thought a fairly newlywed, young couple with barely any credit would have a hard time getting a loan. We qualified for more of a house than I felt we were able to afford. I understand the self employed are having a difficult time getting approved...

Bucking Bronco

I heard talk this morning of another drop in the prime rate to help with the Wall Street disaster that's happeing. I don't know how long that takes to filter into ARMs. I know mortgage $$$ are getting tougher to come by at the moment with all the failing lending institutions, but it should come around soon.

It was expected but the feds chose not to lower rates

Greg

Admin
Mortgage rates for a 30 yr fixed were over 6.5% a while ago, but they're down and continuing to drop again. Currently a 30 yr fixed is about 5.6%... I'm still holding out for 5% before we refinance. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Guess I could have held on a little longer, we locked in at 5.5% in September but we had an ARM up for change in October so it was needed.

Greg

Admin
Guess I could have held on a little longer, we locked in at 5.5% in September but we had an ARM up for change in October so it was needed.

I wouldn't sweat it, I think you did well getting 5.5%. We're at 6%, so it's not like we're hurting. I hear it's not worth refinancing unless it's a full percentage point less than your current rate, due to the associated fees.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I wouldn't sweat it, I think you did well getting 5.5%. We're at 6%, so it's not like we're hurting. I hear it's not worth refinancing unless it's a full percentage point less than your current rate, due to the associated fees.

I'm at 5.75% if I lock in at 5.0 I save $200.00 per month. 4.75% only saves me an additional 30-40 bucks. 5.0 is a good number that I have been waiting for.

$200.00 x 30 years = $72,000.00 Not including additional interest.

Yep, the 5.0 is reasonable and there is a very good chance it will happen.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

Exactly.. And you have to be staying in the home for a long period as well. If you plan on selling in a few years, it doesn't really make sense.

Reason I bring that up is currently our home is a 5/1 ARM at 7% IIRC. We've been wanting out of WA since we moved here - even if it's ~30 miles east into ID. Our five years is up in 10/2011 I believe. We have to be here through 10/2010 before they will allow us to transfer again (no WA wasn't our choice, but our next transfer will be).

We don't want to be stuck in an ARM! But at the same time, we don't want to pay to refinance now and then end up selling over the next year and buying something else at 5%. It's a tough decision..... Homes are selling up here. Not a lot and the realtors are a pain to list with now - new disclosures to be sure you aren't selling because of financials.

Greg

Admin
I'm at 5.75% if I lock in at 5.0 I save $200.00 per month. 4.75% only saves me an additional 30-40 bucks. 5.0 is a good number that I have been waiting for.

$200.00 x 30 years = $72,000.00 Not including additional interest.

Yep, the 5.0 is reasonable and there is a very good chance it will happen.

Well then, by all means refinance! If you hear about 5%, please update this thread. I'd be all over it.

If I can get 5% I'd honestly do a 20 yr loan. That would be about the same payment I'm making now, with 7 yrs less than the mortgage I'm paying on.