Move a Tuff Shed?

bmbirch

Disco Birch
I need advice. Does anyone have experience moving a tuff shed? I need to move it a few blocks. The only problem is; I need to go over an 8' cinder block wall and over a chain link fence on the other end.

Should I disassemble it and re assemble it on the other end? Is there an easy way to piece it apart? If not, the only way I can think of is a crane.

Any advice will be appreciated

soda blaster

I would use a crane to do it they run about 95.00 an hour and well worth it I would count on spending about 180.00 to do it, they charge travel time also I use Hoystal Crane Mike will take good care of you.2620515.

bmbirch

Disco Birch
That was what I was thinking. Have you meved one before? How should I prep the shed before "lift off"? should we run straps under it to lift it? Or eye bolts on each corner?Thanks

chadschoon

Usually the crane guy will only use the straps he has so don't waste your time with that. Never lifted a tuff shed but we did crane our hot tub out of our deck and over the house onto a trailer. Kinda scary ;)

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
Moved one last year just used a couple high lifts and my flatbed, kinda scary but it worked as for the fence and block wall good luck but the crane idea is sounding better!

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Bump for an old thread - I have a Tuff shed that I want to move about 120 ft across the backyard. First shed moving business I called said they would definitely damage the shed due to the metal floor; said it was too flexible, unlike wood beams.

Due to the location behind the house (distance), I doubt a crane would work. If I'm stuck, I'll need to remove 2-4 ft from my shop width (in design right now)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have a huge shed I'd love to move ten feet and rotate 180*. It's one of those barn shaped ones with a second level loft..i had thought a crane would be way more expensive..

I'm tuned in...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've moved 2 on a flat bed trailer. First time I used camper jacks to lift it, and just backed under. That one went from midvale to Herriman.. so I planned better.

The second one just had to move on the same property. I used a crow bar to lift the front, stuck a wedge under. Did it again, stuck a 2x4 under, did it again, stuck a 4x4 under. Got a jack under the front and just kept lifting it more and more, supported by lumber on the sides. Once it was high enough I backed the trailer under the front of the shed. I put the jack on the trailer and lifted the front more. Then I backed up as the jack rolled on the trailer to get the shed far enough on the trailer and just let the back hang off. It was sketchy.. but only had to go a short distance.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I moved a 7x8 lifetime shed when the wooden platform rotted out underneath it. I used lengths of 2" pvc pipe to slide/roll it to a different corner of the yard and onto a new platform.
I have also moved an 8x12 wood shed rolling it on landscape timbers. A word of caution if the base has joists in it. When you move the shed, make sure the joists are aligned in the direction of travel. If perpendicular to travel, the bottoms of the joists snag on the ground and twist them.
I had to cut out the floor to restore the joists to a vertical orientation

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I need to move a 10x20’ with steel floor. Tried lifting with forks on a skid steer and stuff started to bend…would love to figure this out.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
That size would be pretty simple. What kind of terrain does it need to cross?

@Cody how big is yours and what kind of floor?

It has to move off the concrete pad its on currently, across the shop pad (packed road base) maybe 20 feet, and then grass/dirt for 80-100 feet.

The first place I called said the steel floor flexes a done

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I moved a 7x8 lifetime shed when the wooden platform rotted out underneath it. I used lengths of 2" pvc pipe to slide/roll it to a different corner of the yard and onto a new platform.
I have also moved an 8x12 wood shed rolling it on landscape timbers. A word of caution if the base has joists in it. When you move the shed, make sure the joists are aligned in the direction of travel. If perpendicular to travel, the bottoms of the joists snag on the ground and twist them.
I had to cut out the floor to restore the joists to a vertical orientation

I did the same with a winch for propulsion and 6-7 round fence posts

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
That size would be pretty simple. What kind of terrain does it need to cross?

@Cody how big is yours and what kind of floor?

Hmm, off the top of my guesser, I'd say it's 15' x 15'. Maybe 15 x 18'. Probably 15-18' tall. The floor is carpet tiles currently, which leads me to believe it's wood. It's all drywalled inside, has a power panel in it powering the lights and outlets...even has coax for tv/internet in it. Currently it's half gear/bike/snowboard storage, and 1/2 cookie cutter kingdom.

It's also impossible to get a truck to. My dream is to remove the massive, asshole horse-chestnut tree (massive in both it's size, and how big of an asshole it is), then move the shed to the opposite side of the yard and then I'd actually have the ability to have a yard that is enjoyable for my spawn. Maybe even have a bbq one day with friends over. Just dreamin.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yup I used big pieces of PVC and moved my 4x8 wood one all by my lonesome. When I was done the PVC still looked new so I returned it 🤣