Moving back to Utah--another lift laws question...

leorn

reset
So the Vegas economy sucks even worse Utah so I am coming back to Utah for the time being.

I have some bad memories about getting pulled over once a month for some lecture about the 4runner is not legal, no matter how hard I tried to make it comply. That was when it had 35s. Now it has 39s. I am really going to miss the vegas cops among other things.

I have until January before registration expires which should give me some time to bring it up to snuff again. Questions:

1. I know I need mud flaps that cover the tread at least half the height.
2. I need to ditch my front spacers right? (its a toyota I need them to steer and the tires still hit my leafs)
3. I am right at 26" frame height. I am really looking for an excuse to lower it even though last time I had it checked they said that was fine for its GVW. Can I link it, or do I have to stay with an OEM style suspension (leafs)???
4. Tube bumpers, do I need to ditch them??? I'm looking for an excuse to redo them as they have put up with many years abuse and are do for a makeover. Can I mix plate and tube to comply?

Thats all I can think of for now.

On the bright side I will be closer to moab!

Oh and yes I searched and read the inspection manual, but it seems like some of this stuff has come up in threads recently that my searching skills didn't find.

jdub

Scrambler
Bumper is a bumper with my experience. The width has to make it to the middle of the tires though. I have seen shorter pass but just to comply I run them at that width.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
26" is legal for the 4runner. Tube bumpers depend on the station. I argued with my last boss for an hour over bumpers on toyotas. The manual states it has to be 4 1/2" tall and go i believe the entire width of the original, and be as strong or stronger than factory. I told him that a 1" DOM tube bumper is far superior in strength than a factory as it is just sheet metal, and the only strength in the front end for impact is the frame rail. He passed it when the owner welded a second tube below to make the overall height 4 1/2" even though his brother a Sargent in the highway patrol said it has to be a solid bumper no gaps. So its all in who you get and how they interpret the book.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What year 4Runner? Better yet what is your listed GVW?

"d) to a frame height of more than 24 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,500 pounds;
(e) to a frame height of more than 26 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 4,500 pounds and less than 7,500 pounds;
(f) to a frame height of more than 28 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 7,500 pounds;"

" 41-6a-1632. Bumpers.
(1) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a bumper on both front and rear of the motor vehicle, except a motor vehicle that was not originally designed or manufactured with a bumper or bumpers.
(2) (a) On a motor vehicle required to have bumpers under Subsection (1), a bumper shall be:
(i) at least 4.5 inches in vertical height;
(ii) centered on the vehicle's center line; and
(iii) extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distance.
(b) A bumper shall be securely mounted, horizontal load bearing, and attached to the motor vehicle's frame to effectively transfer impact when engaged.
(3) If a motor vehicle is originally or later equipped with a bumper, the bumper shall:
(a) be maintained in operational condition; and
(b) comply with this section. "

Houndoc

FYI, technically you need to re-register in Utah as soon as you move here (within 30 days??), not when your registration expires in another state.

leorn

reset
Houndoc, thanks for the heads up. It's a complicated situation. My primary residence will still be in Nevada, and I really don't know how long I will be in Utah. Hopefully I find a job there, but that's not guaranteed. I will be applying all over the US.

Cruseroutfit its an 85.

Anyways good responses so far.

Any thoughts on suspension or spacers?

864runner

I know I'm your hero
If they are spacers like the ones trail gear sales then they are legal from what I understand, I run them on mine. It's the ones that don't replace the studs that are illegal.

Houndoc

Houndoc, thanks for the heads up. It's a complicated situation. My primary residence will still be in Nevada, and I really don't know how long I will be in Utah. Hopefully I find a job there, but that's not guaranteed. I will be applying all over the US.

I hope it goes well, I feel for anyone looking for jobs now days!

What type of work?

leorn

reset
I hope it goes well, I feel for anyone looking for jobs now days!

What type of work?
Thanks, me too! Landscape Architect -- as in does blueprints, planning etc.

*edit* I think I'm the only Landscape Architect in the rockcrawling crowd the rest are all sending their paychecks to SUWA -- JK, but I am definitely a misfit.

Last edited:

Silly Willy

Thanks, me too! Landscape Architect -- as in does blueprints, planning etc.

*edit* I think I'm the only Landscape Architect in the rockcrawling crowd the rest are all sending their paychecks to SUWA -- JK, but I am definitely a misfit.
If you want I can see if my dads neighbor is looking for anyone. He owns a landscaping company and does stuff allover utah

spencevans

Overlander
Even if your vehicle is under 4500 lbs you can still have 26" frame height. You just need to make a simple modification. If the vehicle's door plate is missing the vehicle is classified as 4500 lbs which will allow you to have a frame height up to 26".