my 91 ex cab

krany

kranberry
since the runner-up passing away i bought this 1991 toyota ex cab long bed.
here are some pics
91 toyota ex cab
5" trail gear sas swap with hd front springs
5" trail gear classic lift
trail gear rock sliders
trail gear stinger( goes on tomorrow)
35x12.50 r15 mtr-kevlars on 15x10 procomp 152 series wheels with 3.75" back spacing
bushwacker flares
2" body lift for now-_-
here are some pics.
DSCN3911.jpg

DSCN3914.jpg

DSCN3915.jpg

DSCN3910.jpg

this thing is huge, its almost too tall. colton in the picture is about 6' tall and the hood is right at his shoulder
DSCN3912.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I think that's the truck I was looking at Steve but decided against it cause I wanted a 22re instead. Nice truck though Krany! I agree with the body lift....for now. It'll look sweeter when it's gone.

Taco4life

I think that's the truck I was looking at Steve but decided against it cause I wanted a 22re instead.

Same here, I looked at it but decided to wait and see if I could find a 22re. It was still a really sweet deal though! If you are putting the trail gear stinger on, and are planning on removing the body lift, then I would hold off on the front stinger until after you remove the lift. 5" trail gear springs + 2" body lift is a pretty tall truck. I would buy some stock body mounting hardware from Roger Brown at http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml#ToyotaOnlyProducts
And lower your truck, then you can see how and where you should mount the front stinger.

sixstringsteve

good luck finding a 22re x-cab, they're next to impossible to find these days. I had to go to idaho to get mine. I think the ticket would be to find a 3.0 x-cab with a blown motor. Then have Nic Panos swap in a 3.4L from a tacoma and you'll have the best of both worlds.

littlyota

Did you get the title with it? I contacted the guy when it was for sale on KSL, but he did not have a title. I did not want to deal with that issue. Not sure what is required in Utah. Great truck to start with.

krany

kranberry
Did you get the title with it? I contacted the guy when it was for sale on KSL, but he did not have a title. I did not want to deal with that issue. Not sure what is required in Utah. Great truck to start with.
yea, it was his brothers truck but since he was in iraq he could be there to sign or deal with selling it. but yes i got the title and it was no issue:cool:

got the stinger on today. it was kind of a pita getting it to fit. this picture makes it look really horrible but its not bad in person.
2011-10-11194622.jpg

krany

kranberry
lookin good kranny, love those tires. 5-speed or auto? I'm guessing open diffs with 5.29's in em?

iam gonna be keeping stock gears for now. but iam in the process of pulling my 5:29 thirds out of the runner up so i can build them up. iam thinking spartan rear with an arb front.
in addition to that i would also like to pull out the t-case from the runner up and put in the 4:7:1 trail creeper kit. or dual stock cases...not sure yet.

Last edited:

Max Power

Bryce
Nice truck. I love those tires. I would put gearing down the axles at the top of your to do list. 35's with stock gearing has to be working your automatic trans pretty hard.

sixstringsteve

iam gonna be keeping stock gears for now. but iam in the process of pulling my 5:29 thirds out of the runner up so i can build them up. iam thinking spartan rear with an arb front.
in addition to that i would also like to pull out the t-case from the runner up and put in the 4:7:1 trail creeper kit. or dual stock cases...not sure yet.

Nice! I like the direction you are headed with this. Your truck is a 5-speed, right?

You'll LOVE either the 4.7's or the duals. 4.7's are a lot less work, but duals have their advantages as well. Here's how I see it:

One huge advantage that I didn't realize 'till after I had duals was the ability to run in stock 2.24:1 low range. Sometimes 4.7:1 is too low, and 1:1 is too high. With duals, you can leave the front one in 1:1, and put the rear in low (2.2), and have it just right. for cruising bumpy roads. Then if you need it lower, put the front one in low too for a total of 4.6:1.

You also get a longer front driveshaft. In my current rig, it worked out just right so I can run the front driveshaft in the rear if I have a failure.

But duals require extra work, like cutting the floor, extending and shortening driveshafts, etc.

You can't go wrong with either, but I think I'll always choose duals over a single 4.7 case in the future, especially for a crawler. The dual ultimate setup (duals with 4.7's in the rear) is overkill. I love having my gearing at 220:1, but I hardly every use it.

krany

kranberry
so things coming soon, i just picked up a grizzley locker for the rear and a spartin locker for the front. and since i dont have a front driveline i picked up the tg creeper long slip drive line and holy cow is that thing beefy. i dont have my cv end on it yet and it weighs a ton. the 5:29 thirds from the runner is what these are going into. anyone need some v6 thirds?

krany

kranberry
i got bored on lunch so i went out back and flexed out the truck, first time i did it i had hardly any flex, about a foot or less. now its just about right where i like it. not too much but well enough to keep my satisfied. she will flex more once i get a front drive line and it will pull itself up higher.
2011-10-21131657.jpg

rear tires pretty stuffed
2011-10-21131707.jpg

with it having a body lift i had to get creative to mount that bumper. so here is the extension i made for the inner bolt holes.
2011-10-19181709.jpg

i still have to make 2 bars that go from the outside of the bumper to the factory bumper mounts to stiffen it up.

and what do you guys think of this, I wanna do something similar, just more sides.
2011-10-21180739.jpg

2011-10-21180730.jpg

Last edited:

krany

kranberry
before wedness day i have the following to do:
install new front 5:29 third with a spartan
tear down rear third and install grizzly locker in rear 5:29 third
cut up my old runners drive shaft and build new one
rear bumper, prob end up getting trail gears
install rock lights

all this before next wednessday, wish me luck