My brother had a funny experience at Midas

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My brother has a 78 Blazer that had the tailpipe fall off from his Midas muffler so he took it in to have it fixed. While he had it there he figured he might as well have the emissions and inspection test done. He told them to watch out for his somewhat touchy clutch (too much wear on some of the shift linkages). The mechanic came back with the following story: "We can't put that thing on our dyno because it could wreck it, someone put the throw out bearing in backwards and when we try to shift it the bearing will hit the torque converter and cause it to break which will bind it all up and wreck the dyno. So it needs to be fixed first" . My brother did his best to keep from laughing and walked out. I wonder if that line works for people who don't realize that a clutch car doesn't have a torque converter. By the way I did the clutch job a few months ago and just for fun looked at the throw out bearing and it was not in wrong. I did fix one sloppy linkage and it works better now.

Dave

DaveB said:
My brother has a 78 Blazer that had the tailpipe fall off from his Midas muffler so he took it in to have it fixed. While he had it there he figured he might as well have the emissions and inspection test done. He told them to watch out for his somewhat touchy clutch (too much wear on some of the shift linkages). The mechanic came back with the following story: "We can't put that thing on our dyno because it could wreck it, someone put the throw out bearing in backwards and when we try to shift it the bearing will hit the torque converter and cause it to break which will bind it all up and wreck the dyno. So it needs to be fixed first" . My brother did his best to keep from laughing and walked out. I wonder if that line works for people who don't realize that a clutch car doesn't have a torque converter. By the way I did the clutch job a few months ago and just for fun looked at the throw out bearing and it was not in wrong. I did fix one sloppy linkage and it works better now.

Dave

Well sure, the guy kind of missed that diagnosis... but I bet he did a good job identifying the bad muffler bearings on teh next rig!

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
StrobeNGH said:
I wonder what that store charges to change the blinker fluid?
:rolleyes:

Hey, don't knock Midas. I had them replace my steering-wheel filter and my car has never steered better. It only cost me $85 and it usually costs $2000. Next week Midas will be rebuilding my dashmat and replacing the oil in my carburetor. They're doing both for only $340. They say they give me good deals because I'm a regular and keep coming back.

H-K said:
Hey, don't knock Midas. I had them replace my steering-wheel filter and my car has never steered better. It only cost me $85 and it usually costs $2000. Next week Midas will be rebuilding my dashmat and replacing the oil in my carburetor. They're doing both for only $340. They say they give me good deals because I'm a regular and keep coming back.

Hehehe...

My dashmat's got over 200 thou and still going strong.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
H-K said:

Shat, you think that is a good deal? just jast week I took my wifes car in to get the K9P fluid replaced and they said the could do it for the cool deal of $2000 if I changed out the kaniffler rods that were worn beyond military specs! They mentioned that this could not be done by a redneck mechanic such as myself, because I don't have the authorization and training to operate left handed screw drivers!! FACK!! what a deal!!

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
DaveB said:

Dave

MAN! I completely forgot about this one time (@ bandcamp)they gave me an awesome quote to change out my pneumatic fluid in my antenna! it only cost me a grand and I got my Hymen extractor piston serviced for free, well, it cost me dinner but it was still free!! now that is customer service!