My first experience with credit card points/miles

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I just experienced something completely new to me, and I'm so excited I feel like I need to tell someone.

I know uncontrolled credit card spending is a very common financial disaster, so it is something I have avoided at all costs for quite some time. In fact, I quit cards completely and used to be a cash-only guy for many years. I wouldn't even pay for gas at the pump; instead I would go inside and hand them cash, go back out and fill my tank, then go back inside and get my change. It was just my way of life, and I was happy.

One co-worker in particular began teasing me about it. "I can't believe you of all people don't use cards." He went on and on about the annual cash-back reward from his Costco credit card, and how I, too, could get some free money just from the spending I already do. And so it was that, about two years ago, I signed up for a Cap One Quicksilver card and began receiving 1.5% cash back on all my purchases. Of course, in order to maximize this reward I gave up using cash entirely and now paid for everything with this card, carefully making sure to pay off my balance in full every month. Things were good.

Meanwhile, another co-worker (who now sits directly beside me) is big into the whole AmEx/Delta points ecosystem. Thanks to his former job as a Chrysler Financial executive, he has literally racked up over a million Delta flyer miles and is now a lifetime Gold member. He earns miles at an accelerated rate, and is constantly cashing them in on free/reduced airfare, free upgrades/perks, etc. It didn't take long before he began goading me to switch from camp cash back and join him in camp travel rewards. Wanting more info, I discovered that YT is littered with travel rewards influencers. I began watching a number of how-to videos posted by various gurus who politely walked you through the process. Hmm, could it be that easy?

Because my new wife is big into travel, and because we were planning a big trip to Europe, back in February I bit the bullet and opened another Cap One account, this one for a Venture X card that earns 2x points/miles on all purchases. At the time, it offered a generous sign up bonus of 75,000 points if you spend $4000 within the first three months (or something like that). It also grants 5x or 10x points on all hotels and flights purchased through the Cap One travel portal. Once my new card arrived, I paid off my Quicksilver card and switched over to the Venture X exclusively. In less than two months, I had earned the signup bonus.

There I was, sitting on a small stockpile of points, trying to figure out if I could work the system in my favor. Our upcoming vacation will take us to Paris, so I've been eyeing flights for a couple of months. The prices are hideous! Any flight I'd actually want to take costs around $1300+ per person, and that's in the cheapest Economy class. Ouch. After re-watching a YT video and being reminded about some search tips, yesterday I finally found my holy grail: Air France flies direct from Houston to Paris for only 20,000 points + $64 per person, including luggage/fees/taxes. Are you kidding?!? I could barely contain my enthusiasm as I transferred some points from my Cap One account to my Air France account, then completed my purchase. Yes, that means we need to get ourselves from here to Houston, but American Airlines will do that for $205 each all in. We are getting from SLC to Paris for $269 each! I feel like I just discovered the fountain of youth, or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, etc.

Maybe my co-worker was on to something after all.

STAG

On my grind
I have a lot of points saved up and I’m planning a trip to Australia soon, but have never bought any travel plans or anything with points before, but I’m hoping I can cover as much of it as possible with points. I’m with capitol one too, but I don’t think I got the same points perks you got!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I’m with capitol one too, but I don’t think I got the same points perks you got!

All of the major CC brands--Cap One, Chase, etc--have their own partner airlines. You may freely transfer your reward points/miles to any one of these partners, but only these partners. The best points benefits come from transferring your points to the right partner based on the deal you want.

The vast majority of airlines are members of one of the big three alliances:

AirlinePartners.jpg

For example, Delta is part of the Skyteam alliance. As it happens, Cap One does not let you transfer points to Delta, leading you to think you can't cash in Cap One points for a Delta flight... but that's not entirely correct. Air France is also a member of the Skyteam alliance. If you visit the AirFrance web page and try to book a flight, they will sell you a ticket for a Delta flight just the same as they will sell you a ticket for an Air France flight. So if you want to pay with Cap One points and you must fly Delta, transfer your points to Air France and book the trip through them. Tah-dah!

Irony: even for a Delta flight, Air France charges you fewer points for it than Delta typically does. From the videos I've been watching, a large part of the trick is figuring out which airlines charge the smallest amount of points for the flight you want (no matter whose plane it is) and then figuring out how to transfer your points accordingly. At least that's what I've learned so far.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yup, we’ve done a fair bit of traveling using our Amex points. It’s the best!

That Venture X is a good card for those interested in Cap One.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm I point generating machine. Cap one 2x cards are the best right now. I rack up about 75k points per month and it would be more if I had enough cash flow to pay the card off faster. If I can ever get on the right side of things, I bet I could do 100k points per month. Why my suppliers let me pay huge bills by card is an ongoing mystery

Pike2350

I'm I point generating machine. Cap one 2x cards are the best right now. I rack up about 75k points per month and it would be more if I had enough cash flow to pay the card off faster. If I can ever get on the right side of things, I bet I could do 100k points per month. Why my suppliers let me pay huge bills by card is an ongoing mystery
Have they not started charging a 3-3.5% fee for it? It's very common now. Make sure they aren't because otherwise you are buying your own points at a loss

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Have they not started charging a 3-3.5% fee for it? It's very common now. Make sure they aren't because otherwise you are buying your own points at a loss
Ya, I don't use the card if they charge a fee. Well, at least not if it's a significant charge. Sometimes I'll have small charges... A couple hundy or something.. That I just don't want to put off until I print checks. Most of my raw material suppliers all happily take the card. They offer to put me on net 30, but I'll take the points.

My wife doesn't read this so the surprise is safe here, but for her birthday in a couple of weeks I've booked round trip flights to Amsterdam to see Taylor swift. Ten days lodging. All paid for by points.

85CUCVKRAWLER

Although the Cap One card is good, the Delta + Amex Reserve is much better. SLC is a Delta hub so basing your travel around Delta will be a strong strategy plan. My job makes me travel about one a week and i buy everything through my Amex and get reimbursed. I think i spent $80k last year on Delta tickets alone. Last year i flew my wife and two kids back east twice, and flew out four different people from the east coast all for free and still had a bunch of points left over. Also earning medallion status is important as it nets you free upgrades and the reserve card gets you unlimited access to the Sky Club (a must if you travel often).

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've still got 400k points sitting in the Amex ecosystem, but that card is 1:1 for most of my purchasing, and even with the 35% points rebate for travel on delta, it doesn't keep up with the 2x on everything I get with cap one. I also have a major supplier that will take my cap one bit won't take Amex. I can definitely see how someone that flies a ton could use the Amex travel cards a lot more effectively than they work for me.

Pike2350

My wife and I are a bit less intense when it comes to the rewards stuff..but we do use them. We have a joint Chase Freedom that we use for household stuff. I believe it is 1.5% on things with a few categories getting 2%. Every quarter they do 5% on select locations (this quarter is Amazon, restaurants, hotels). So far, since we started the card about 8 years ago we've earned almost $2k in cash rewards. We've only used the cash part but I know we could probably get more out of it if we looked through the reward portal.

Each one of us also have a Chase Amazon reward card in our name only. I have earned almost $1k on mine and she is similar if not more. Not bad considering we pay them off each month and don't really go crazy with buying what we don't need.

Houndoc

*sigh* I need to get in on this. I spend between $8-15k/mo on my business card and get cash back only.

That isn't bad.

One down side to points on some cards is their flight options can be limited.

When I went to Greece a couple years ago (using business card) to get my brother to a Jethro Tull concert none of the flight options on the card worked well so booked the flights elsewhere and then took cash for the points to pay for them.

For our home card we also find it hard to use the points on the best flight prices and schedules. But the points work great for purchases on Amazon. We put almost any purchase we can on the card but track the expenses and make sure the money is set aside so we pay it off in full every month.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I need to deep dive on the points game. I've joked that I'm planning to buy a car with my reward points but that may be less realistic than I imagined a few years back. So, I may as well use them for travel and if I use them for travel I should use a card that nets better than 1x points.

My wife and do use AmEx, really just for the flight benefits particularly the Sky Club access. I fear that if I move my spending to the AmEx, she'll just gobble up the points with her travels and I'm just further subsidizing her lifestyle while simultaneously pushing back my goal of being a retired trophy husband.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I run two cash back, the apple card and discover. Apple card gives me 2% on any purchase I use apple pay with, which is starting to be nearly all. Discover I get 2% on gas and restaurants. Use that card obviously for gas and eating at work. Been getting a fair amount back each month from both. My wife uses the chase freedom cash back card and that thing generates a lot of cash back.

N-Smooth

I've still got 400k points sitting in the Amex ecosystem, but that card is 1:1 for most of my purchasing, and even with the 35% points rebate for travel on delta, it doesn't keep up with the 2x on everything I get with cap one. I also have a major supplier that will take my cap one bit won't take Amex. I can definitely see how someone that flies a ton could use the Amex travel cards a lot more effectively than they work for me.
Amex Blue Business Plus (BBP) card gets 2x on everything. I opened one, hit the required spend to get the 50k MR bonus and then immediately opened one for the wife and we just got her bonus too. Gold, Platinum and BBP are known as the AMEX trifecta.

To get the best deals on travel with all of the different cards it’s all about transferring to airline partners. I don’t have the energy for that nonsense so I just make sure I’m getting a 1 CPP (cent per point) redemption and send it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Amex Blue Business Plus (BBP) card gets 2x on everything. I opened one, hit the required spend to get the 50k MR bonus and then immediately opened one for the wife and we just got her bonus too. Gold, Platinum and BBP are known as the AMEX trifecta.

To get the best deals on travel with all of the different cards it’s all about transferring to airline partners. I don’t have the energy for that nonsense so I just make sure I’m getting a 1 CPP (cent per point) redemption and send it.
The BBP is only 2x on the first 50k in spending. For the VAST majority of card holders, that would be plenty, but I would burn that up in a couple months. I use the Platinum, but I'm about to cancel it and move everything over to Cap One. There is some ego attached to the big fancy, heavy metal box-cutting card, but it's not worth $700 per year to keep a box cutter in your wallet full time...or $500 per year after you use up your flight credit. The unlimited 2x on cap one really adds up.

I've honestly never tried to move the points off of the card portal and over to the partners. I just look at that 1 CPP, but you're saying you can get better than that if you transfer out to Delta or something directly? I need to find a home for those AmEx points.

I wish I was such a fancy high roller that I could spend like that on a personal card. I'm not trying to be the BSD here just because my business is super cash intensive. It DEFINTELY doesn't relate to how much I personally take home from said business ha ha. I've talked to people that spend millions per year on their points CC's, and there is a next level rewards program with unpublished perks that those assholes get to be a part of.

N-Smooth

The BBP is only 2x on the first 50k in spending. For the VAST majority of card holders, that would be plenty, but I would burn that up in a couple months. I use the Platinum, but I'm about to cancel it and move everything over to Cap One. There is some ego attached to the big fancy, heavy metal box-cutting card, but it's not worth $700 per year to keep a box cutter in your wallet full time...or $500 per year after you use up your flight credit. The unlimited 2x on cap one really adds up.

I've honestly never tried to move the points off of the card portal and over to the partners. I just look at that 1 CPP, but you're saying you can get better than that if you transfer out to Delta or something directly? I need to find a home for those AmEx points.

I wish I was such a fancy high roller that I could spend like that on a personal card. I'm not trying to be the BSD here just because my business is super cash intensive. It DEFINTELY doesn't relate to how much I personally take home from said business ha ha. I've talked to people that spend millions per year on their points CC's, and there is a next level rewards program with unpublished perks that those assholes get to be a part of.
True, which is one of the reasons I wasn’t sad to be able to get 2 of them 🤣

I easily pay for my Platinum and Gold card annual fees with the benefits but that doesn’t mean they’re for everyone.

Man I wish I had your business spend to put on a card, that’s awesome.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've honestly never tried to move the points off of the card portal and over to the partners. I just look at that 1 CPP, but you're saying you can get better than that if you transfer out to Delta or something directly?

The one-way tickets I just purchased from Houston to Paris have a cash price of $1163.00 each. As you know, I instead paid 20,000 points + $63.50 each. Doing the math: (($1163.00-$63.50)/20000)*100 = 5.5 CPP. According to all the YouTubers I've been watching, this is a very good deal.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The one-way tickets I just purchased from Houston to Paris have a cash price of $1163.00 each. As you know, I instead paid 20,000 points + $63.50 each. Doing the math: (($1163.00-$63.50)/20000)*100 = 5.5 CPP. According to all the YouTubers I've been watching, this is a very good deal.
Holy shit. How do you track those deals?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Holy shit. How do you track those deals?

I basically just lucked my way into it. I've seen a few YTers state that, within the SkyTeam alliance, AirFrance/KLM often offers the best deals as far as flying on points is concerned. Even if you're flying on a Delta plane, they say AirFrance often charges significantly fewer points than Delta themselves do.

Based solely on that info, I went to airfrance.us and began investigating Delta flights. Direct from SLC to Paris, AF charged 43,000 points minimum. That wasn't horrible, especially since Delta charges 120,000 points for the exact same flight, but if I selected that option I would not have enough points left over to get us back home. This led me to research all the US cities served directly by AirFrance, and then one by one I checked to see how cheap a flight would be from each one direct to Paris. Numerous cities bottomed out at 20,000 points (which seems to be the lowest point cost for flying between the US and Europe on AirFrance), so I simply chose the city closest to SLC that charged this low amount and booked accordingly. Yes, this meant I had to spend some time checking 12+ options, but I felt the payoff was worth it.

Tip #1: It definitely helps to be flexible with your travel plans. If you're like me and ink in your travel dates before you even begin searching for airfare, you'll be at the mercy of whatever deal may (or may not) exist that fits your parameters. OTOH, if you can casually browse for a great deal and then construct your plans around that, your odds of flying on the cheap go way up.

Tip #2: Be ready to act fast. Many YTers state that the best points deals come and go quickly, usually with little or no notice. Make sure you know not only your point balance, but also if there is any sort of delay in transferring points from your card to the airline in question. (Some points transfer instantly, while others may need 24+ hours to show up.) Also, transferring points is a one-way street; if your flight deal disappears, you can't just move the points back to your card.

Tip #3: I've seen one or two YTers mention there are web sites which will track this stuff for you, helping you find good point deals. However, those are all subscription sites. I don't know that I will travel enough to make it worth paying money, but others may find this to be a good value.

I am still learning here, and am in no way any sort of professional about all this. But the above is what helped me score this particular deal. I hope it helps you guys, too.