My new tow rig!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
OK

not really. But could you imajine pulling into Moab in this thing with the Scout on the back of it???
dreamtowrig.jpg

But in all honesty, Im considering getting some like this (minus the 3' wide tires) for my tow rig.

The setup I have right now is nice. 02 Cummins, 28' trailer, tent trailer on the front, Scout on the back. It tows perfect and is very comfy. I feel safe at 70 mph no problems and it is perfect if Im going somewhere where I am camping at the trail or something like that. In moab, I have to unload the tent trailer so I can use the trailer to haul the Scout between trails since I get pulled over for even thinking about driving on the street now.

Unloading the tent trailer is a PITA and then I have a 28' trailer to haul around as well which can be a PITA.

I am getting lockers for the Scout next week so I could perhaps get some mudflaps on it and drive it between trails but it still isnt ideal and I would have to register it in Idaho or something like that.

So here is what Im thinking. Get a medium duty truck with at least a 16' flat bed on it to haul the Scout on. Get a 19' or so camp trailer and pull behind the truck. I can leave the camp trailer where ever and still be able to haul the Scout around fairly easy.

There is downsides to this as well. These trucks (at least in my pricerange) are not made for comfort. I will be lucky to be able to go 65ish fully loaded. I will have this truck that basically all I can use it for is hauling. But at the same time, I have a $5000 trailer that is all I use for as well.

If I do it, I would want to spend around 5 grand on the truck. There are a couple on KSL close to this price range. Then I could get a pretty decent camp trailer for about 4 grand. I owe 10 grand on the cummins and 5 on the trailer and bought the tent trailer for 1200. So I would be in a lot cheaper setup and would be a lot more comfy camping.

I would like to hear any input you guys have on this idea as well. I think it would work out great and be different from the norm but Im not 100% sold on it yet.

Flame on :greg:

Corban_White

Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure you have seen bucking bronco's setup? The scout would likely require a heavier truck on account of its girth tho. :D:D

Chevycrew

I have been looking a ton at medium duty trucks...

But with the 4 of us (2 big dogs) a std cab truck doesnt suit us very well. So I started looking at bigger. A sleeper and a big engine would be the way to go!

LT.

You know, it seems like all of us are trying to find the perfect solution to hauling our toys and campers to go four wheeling. Sprueitt had one of the best ideas I have seen yet. Kind of a poor boy toy hauler. I am trying to duplicate it in my own way. Problems with medium duty rigs is manuverability or lack there of. You just bought a truck that really has only one purpose. Hauling. That's it. Parking, a pain, going to run errands, a pain, manuvering, a pain, there is very little good about them in everyday life. Had you thought about mounting your pop up camper to the front of your flat bed sideways? Place the pop up so that the door exits onto the deck of the trailer. It cannot be more than 6 feet wide or so. This would give you more room on the deck for the Scout and you would never have to remove the pop up again. Now, get the Scout somewhat street legal and you will have it made.

LT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm a fan of the flatbed truck. I'd seriously consider something with Kenworth or Peterbilt on it for the Scout, though. Similar towing mileage as a one ton diesel with a heavy load and you won't even be working that truck at all. I know NOTHING about the heavy trucks, but it would seem you'd be underworking them. They're built for comfort and built to haul. I've seen them as cheap as $4K, but I've seen some I'd be interested in checking out from around $13K-8K.

I'm not a tent trailer fan. Had one. Been there. Done that. Moved on.

ChestonScout

You know, it seems like all of us are trying to find the perfect solution to hauling our toys and campers to go four wheeling. Sprueitt had one of the best ideas I have seen yet. Kind of a poor boy toy hauler. I am trying to duplicate it in my own way. Problems with medium duty rigs is manuverability or lack there of. You just bought a truck that really has only one purpose. Hauling. That's it. Parking, a pain, going to run errands, a pain, manuvering, a pain, there is very little good about them in everyday life. Had you thought about mounting your pop up camper to the front of your flat bed sideways? Place the pop up so that the door exits onto the deck of the trailer. It cannot be more than 6 feet wide or so. This would give you more room on the deck for the Scout and you would never have to remove the pop up again. Now, get the Scout somewhat street legal and you will have it made.

LT.

Char likes having the tent tent removable so we are not required to take the whole trailer to go out camping. We can pull it with the XJ no problem.

The duallies main purpose is towing but I do drive it a lot. Probably more than I should but I like it.

I am going to wait until I get my lockers installed for sure. If it is somewhat driveable I most likely will just stay as is for now. Right now I cant turn a normal corner on pavement without using the rear steer. The tires turn but just push straight with the welded spiders.

The trucks I have been looking at have a 20k lb. payload capacity so my little 7k lb. Scout wont phase them.

ChestonScout

I'm not a tent trailer fan. Had one. Been there. Done that. Moved on.

I fully agree but we are stil in bliss over having something a little better than just pitching a tent. An actual camper tho......with AC and heat and whatnot, thats just plain spoiling yourself :p

ChestonScout

One other problem I forgot to mention with these medium duty trucks Ive been looking at is they are all standard cab. Anything extended cab or crew cab is instantly 20k easy.

My wife has the Boyscout motto of Be Prepared. She could stuff our crew cab long bed with a shell to the gills for a week trip in Moab. And that was just for us 2! We have the baby boy on the way so.......

kgb

School Bus :)

Seriously I'm almost at the same point my burb is still streetable but seems to be on its way to not being.

Take two vehicles ;)

A medium duty even a heavy duty seems like the best way to go flatbed, and tow the trailer that way when you get to go where your going you don't have to move the trailer. A flat bed long enough to hold your rig and maybe a gooseneck so you can tow a big trailer.

kgb

Look for a four door tow truck with a flat bed get rid of the bed and make your own. International made a bunch of them they aren't race cars but they do ok.

LT.

There was a cool build on pirate kinda like you are looking for. Here is the site.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735740
I liked the idea but, it really is a purpose built rig. Not something the Mrs. is going to want to drive to the grocery store. Any medium duty truck is going to be a purpose only rig. Need to take something to the dump, you need a pickup truck, not a F-700 medium duty truck. The motor that is in your current tow rig can trace it's roots all the way back to 1959. This is the same basic design that was used in over the road trucks before President Eisenhower signed the Interstate bill in 1956. What I am getting at is you have the right motor in your current rig. It is not breaking a sweat moving your junk to and from the trail head. Even Sprueitt will attest to the motor and its working abilities. If you are not overloaded (i.e. over the GCWR of your truck) I would not worry about it.

Didn't you say how impressed you were with your rig hauling to and from Cali for TTC? In fact I remember you posting, "I will have this set up for a long time to come." Wasn't that in June of this year? Take it from me, bigger is not always better.

LT.

sixb

Will work for beer!
How far is camp usually from the trail heads? If chevycrew and spuritt can get away with it you should try and do it to. I say spend the time and money making the Scout street legal instead of buying more and bigger trucks and trailers. The insurance and possibley a cdl on a bigger truck will be expensive.

ChestonScout

ut oh....

Look what just got posted up on KSL....

Crew cab, 7.3 diesel, 4 speed Allison and best of all..........ITS A INTERNATIONAL!!!

Doesnt hurt that the price is only 3500 and it has 12,888 miles on it!

build a big ol plate bumper for the front.....I might be sold!

Attachments

• tow rig IH.jpg
    tow rig IH.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 118

ChestonScout

There was a cool build on pirate kinda like you are looking for. Here is the site.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735740
I liked the idea but, it really is a purpose built rig. Not something the Mrs. is going to want to drive to the grocery store. Any medium duty truck is going to be a purpose only rig. Need to take something to the dump, you need a pickup truck, not a F-700 medium duty truck. The motor that is in your current tow rig can trace it's roots all the way back to 1959. This is the same basic design that was used in over the road trucks before President Eisenhower signed the Interstate bill in 1956. What I am getting at is you have the right motor in your current rig. It is not breaking a sweat moving your junk to and from the trail head. Even Sprueitt will attest to the motor and its working abilities. If you are not overloaded (i.e. over the GCWR of your truck) I would not worry about it.

Didn't you say how impressed you were with your rig hauling to and from Cali for TTC? In fact I remember you posting, "I will have this set up for a long time to come." Wasn't that in June of this year? Take it from me, bigger is not always better.

LT.

It has nothing to do with the truck. I really do like it! (even tho I miss my Superduty still)

Its just a conveinience factor. Idaho Top Truck kind of opened my eyes to it. I pulled up and set my tent trailer up on the trailer at Lehi's house. I was going to have to take the tent trailer down, load the Scout back up and then repeat the process at the end of the day but Lehi towed me over to the park. He was just going to tow me back again but a guy there with a roll off tow truck offered to haul it back for me.

It fit perfect on his bed and I just thought.....that would kick a$$

Plus Stan just getting one doesnt help :greg: