My new tow rig!

kgb

Maybe I should look into something like that. My issue is I'm trying to find something that I can drive every day and tow with and haul hay and carry the family, didn't think about when the burb is totally not street legal.

LT.

Plus Stan just getting one doesnt help :greg:

Ask Stan how well that big ol' truck did. I would put money on his old tow rig pulling circles around his new one. Stan's problem was weight. It had nothing to do with the Dodge dually pulling or handling the load. Any medium truck is kind of already behind the que ball. They have the exact same motor as any other 1 ton truck, Duramax, Cummins, and Powerstorke. Plus they weigh more and have to use more power just to get themselves out of their own way. Someone will chime in here and tell me that I am full of it and that the medium duty truck is the only way to go. Maybe, but what else can you do with a truck that big? Sure they have larger axles, lower gears, more gears in the tranny, and that may make up for their lack of power or even their more portly weight. But, can they haul from your house to Cali and back at 70 mph and get as good of fuel mileage as you got. What was it you got again? 12+ mpg? A medium duty truck may get that empty.

Your dually is just begging for some computer tuning. All of the ground work has already been done for you. Larger turbo, exhaust, intake and the like. The International you were looking at had what, 200 horsepower max? Your current rig is putting out more than that now. Plus it weighs less. If you were over the limit of what you truck should be hauling, I say should be not could be, then maybe it is time to look at a bigger rig. If your Scout weighs 7,000 and your tent trailer is, what maybe 1,500, and your flat bed weighs 4,000 you are still okay. Only 12,500 total. For a truck that can haul 16,000 you are barely working it at all. If you are trying to keep up with the Prueitt's forget it. You need six wheel drive and you have to have six wheels on everything you take with you, tow rig, trailer, and off road rig.

I sold Stan all the tuning hardware on his old tow rig. He never had it fueled up all the way, that I know of. His new D-max is just an old LLY motor. The same motor that Chevy and GMC put into their 3/4 trucks. With half the weight.

So, now that I am towards the end of my novel, if you are over weight then a medium duty is the way to go. (Think insurance liability here). If you are just wanting to extend your man hood, okay, get the larger truck. If you are just wanting one to keep up with the Pureitt's forget it. He will be the first one to tell you that the little 1 ton was enough to pull and haul his big green beast anywhere he wanted to go.

LT.

Last edited:

Corban_White

It isn't that the current truck doesn't have enough power, Cheston wants to leave camp in camp and still be able to haul the scout. It's all about the convenience. Exactly why I support him getting a medium duty truck. You wanna talk overweight? He wants to put the scout on the bed. I don't think the 3500 will like getting the bed ripped off, a flat bed slapped on and the giant scout parked on top. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

LT.

It isn't that the current truck doesn't have enough power, Cheston wants to leave camp in camp and still be able to haul the scout. It's all about the convenience. Exactly why I support him getting a medium duty truck. You wanna talk overweight? He wants to put the scout on the bed. I don't think the 3500 will like getting the bed ripped off, a flat bed slapped on and the giant scout parked on top. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can see the reason. I agree, leave camp at camp but, to put 7,000 lbs of Scout 4' in the air on the back of a medium duty truck seems a little heavy even for that big of a rig. Thing to remember is just how tall the Scout is especially if you are going to place it on the bed of a truck. I have seen crazier loads but, I would not want to do it especially with my family in the rig with me.

LT.

Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Alright.... Alright.... just everyone calm down. Everyone lay down on the ground and put your hands on your heads!!!! Nobody is going to kill anybody now that I am here to return some order to the city!!! As soon as Stan gets here and gets you all cuffed up to each other chain-gang style, then we can get on with things. And that would include me taking Rob's tow rig and Cheston's Scout!!! I already have an almost new gooseneck trailer that would work perfect for it!!!!! Now as long as nobody looks up at me there won't be a problem. I will hit the vault next time!!!! That's right 90 seconds in and out!!!! Like a CAT!!!!!!
-M

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Well....after thinking more about it I am thinking Im going to put the truck and trailer up for sale.

If they dont sell, no harm no foul.

If they do...I have a few months to find a truck before Easter.

Hopefully I dont sell just one or the other.....that would suck.

I just think this option would be the most conveinient for me. It is deffinately not for everyone but with my HEAVY non streetable Scout....I think this will work best.

We will see what happens I guess