my new ultralight winter sleep system

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I thought some of you might appreciate this, most of you will think it is lame:-\. It is an ultra light backpacking quilt/sleeping bag hybrid. http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

I bought the 10 degree wide medium length, and it weighs 21.7 ounces. I will be returning it for the long version as the medium is a little short. It compresses really small and is stupid light. Yes, it weighs under a pound and a half for a 10 degree bag. I use a down hat from black rock as I sleep so the hood is not needed. I will rarely if ever zip the bag up. I have grown accustom to sleeping with quilts and can barley handle sleeping in a sleeping bag anymore.

I have yet to test it out, but the loft seems great and the quality is amazing. I love the old school green color as well.

For the really cold temps I will supplement with a down jacket(New Balance FUGU) and synthetic, but lofty pants(sherpa). The pants and jacket will not add any extra weight becasue they go in my winter gear anyway. I dropped about 2 lbs from my current set up by going this way.

I still need to figure out a sleeping pad. Right now I use a thermarest prolite 4 and like it, but it is a little heavy for me. I am thinking about a exped sun mat UL at 17 Ounces plus a closed cell pad. That is much heavier than I like, but a simple closed cell pad(my summer favorite) doesn't cut it in the winter.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for an ultralight bivy sack. I will not carry one over 8 ounces I have looked at most of the ones on the market, but haven't found the perfect one yet. I am leaning toward the mountain laurel designs bivy.

Attachments

• green_quilt_top_c.jpg
    green_quilt_top_c.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 24

DAA

I've been looking at the Zpacks bags and quilts, packs too- I might snag an Arc Blast. Nice stuff!

I've got the UL7 pad and I like it. I also have a Neo XTherm, same weight but higher R value. You're welcome to borrow either or both if you want to road test before you buy.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I've been looking at the Zpacks bags and quilts, packs too- I might snag an Arc Blast. Nice stuff!

I've got the UL7 pad and I like it. I also have a Neo XTherm, same weight but higher R value. You're welcome to borrow either or both if you want to road test before you buy.

- DAA

Thanks for the offer. I thought you would be one of those to appreciate the this thread haha. I have had most of the different models of the NeoAir and I am not a big fan. Is you synmat the regular synmat or the UL. I may take you up on that offer.

Sweet! Taking this to the Yert, I imagine???

yes, taking it to the yurt.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Davy, at this wonderful time of year, may all your pants be synthetic and lofty and filled with Christmas cheer.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Davy, at this wonderful time of year, may all your pants be synthetic and lofty and filled with Christmas cheer.

Why thank you Devin. You always know just what to say.

Thats cool!

It took me a long time to pull the trigger. Sometimes I am leery of smaller boutique type gear shops. These guys make good stuff. I asked for a rush order and they got it out in under a week. Each bag is made for the customer so 1week is stellar.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
That is ridiculously light for a ten degree bag. I've been looking for a light summertime bag, around 30 degrees. i'd like a lightweight down bag that's inexpensive.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That is ridiculously light for a ten degree bag. I've been looking for a light summertime bag, around 30 degrees. i'd like a lightweight down bag that's inexpensive.

Yeah some people won't understand what a big deal that weight is. Let me know a little more about what you are looking for in a bag. I can help you out maybe. What fill power of down are you looking for? What is your budget? what weight are you looking to hit. Obviously you are looking for the lightest bag for the least amount of moony, but give me some parameters and we can try to find you something.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
My bag is by far the heaviest part of my pack. After doing some overnight snowshoe trips, weight is a huge deal in the winter. That looks like a great solution.

DAA

Thanks for the offer. I thought you would be one of those to appreciate the this thread haha. I have had most of the different models of the NeoAir and I am not a big fan. Is you synmat the regular synmat or the UL. I may take you up on that offer.

It's the UL - just holler if you want to borrow it. I haven't actually used the XTherm myself. I'm a cold sleeper, but my Son is a really cold sleeper so I got that one for him, it was the lightest highest R value pad I could find. He really likes it though. I've got some early spring canyon trips coming up and I think I'm going to try the XTherm on the first one.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

Awesome specs on that and killer price. Im ore of a mummy bag guy, i like being swaddled. Billy light might have some ideas on pads, he's an ulttalight guy too.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My bag is by far the heaviest part of my pack. After doing some overnight snowshoe trips, weight is a huge deal in the winter. That looks like a great solution.

That has been a huge hinderance for me in the winter. It is hard to find a good lightweight sleeping bag. Especially one that will fit bigger guys like me.

I love it! Not lame at all! I'm interested to hear how it works for you. I have a nice, light 50 degree bag, but I need something like this for higher elevations.

I will let you know after this weekend.

I really want to get my hands on one of these backpacking quilts. I hate sleeping bags.

Once you try a quilt you won't be able to sleep in a regular bag, unless you are weird like steve and want to be swaddled. I have a few options you are welcome to borrow if you want.

It's the UL - just holler if you want to borrow it. I haven't actually used the XTherm myself. I'm a cold sleeper, but my Son is a really cold sleeper so I got that one for him, it was the lightest highest R value pad I could find. He really likes it though. I've got some early spring canyon trips coming up and I think I'm going to try the XTherm on the first one.

- DAA

When you get a chance I would appreciate it if you could weigh the UL for me. I am interested to see if the real world numbers hold up to the claimed numbers. If you don't have a scale then don't worry about it. I would imagine you do.

Awesome specs on that and killer price. Im ore of a mummy bag guy, i like being swaddled. Billy light might have some ideas on pads, he's an ulttalight guy too.

This bag can work just like a mummy if you zip it up. I am looking forward to a talk with billy. He and I have had some Ultra light talks over the years.

One other pad I am looking at is the klymit insulated static V. It is a little heavier than the Exped, but can be had for about half the price. I don't think I like the horizontal air chambers. That is one of the things I didn't like about the neo air. Little D loved his Neo air though.

skeptic

A bit OT, but this last summer I picked up a fleece sleeping bag liner. Wow, what a huge difference in comfort. They claim to add 10-12* to the bag rating, but to me it was more like 20* on the cold nights. On the warm nights I used just the fleece and it was perfect. Not to mention, it's much nicer against the skin than the inside of my nylon mummy bag. Might not fit "ultralight backpacking" needs in the winter, but for overall comfort and as a warm weather option...