my new ultralight winter sleep system

sixstringsteve

I had a wool balacalava doubled up as a beanie, and a polyester balacalava over my mouth. Midweight (200) merino wool base layers.

Next time I'll bring a heavier beanie, my big down parka, and a sleeping bag that has less dead air space in it that fits my body better. I'm also going to experiment with something to keep my face and breath warm.

I might try something like this:
http://www.exmask.com/psolarhx.php

or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Headsokz-Adul...r_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1389227049&sr=1-2

I'm tempted to build a little fleece bag/hood to go over my head. My wife says I snore more when the air is cold and when it's dry. If I can find a way to breathe warm, moist air, I should sleep better.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Davy, did you sleep with your bag pulled up to your nose, or was it cinched off at your neck? Did your head or face get cold?

It was not cinched off at my neck. Mostly just draped over me. I very rarely pull it over my head. My face got cold, but it doesn't bother me unless it is really cold. My head did not get cold. I was wearing a fleece beanie and a down beanie on my head. If I wouldn't have had the down jacket on I probably would have had to cinch it up.

I've always thought/heard that breathing in the bag would cause a lot of moisture build up, so I've avoided it. Might be ok for an overnighter if the bag is hung out afterwards, but I suspect would be an issue over multiple nights. I have no proof of this.

I ordered one of these from Moolala a few weeks ago. I've tried it on a few ice climbing outings and it is almost impossible to not fog my glasses up with it. All political correctness aside, I think it was made for a chinese face and does not allow for my big american nose, so my breath stays under the mask instead of coming out the nose holes.

For sleeping, I really need to look into a down beanie/balaclava. Anyone have a recommendation on their favorite? My best solution so far to keeping the face warm is to wear a big beanie and pull it down over my eyes/ears and part of my nose at night. Kindof like this without the eye-holes :)

dumb-donald-Gif.gif

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I wear a down beanie from black rock gear. It is a very nice beanie.

For down balaclava I like goosefeet or katabatic. There is one other I can't think of right now.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Goosefeet makes the Zpacks balaclava. Strange since Zpacks makes gear, but they farm it out to goose feet.

Duh, the balaclava I was forgetting is made by Black Rock.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Re-looking at sleep socks. Is anybody using down sleep socks? I am really tempted to pull the trigger on a pair of goose feet. I can't really find any others I like a ton.