Jeep My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looking great. You'll wonder why you didn't upgrade your headlights sooner. Huge difference.

-4wheelair.com

Yes, it's amazing! And you're right, any JK owner should look at upgrading the lights right off the bat.

Nice, I keep thinking about getting some new LED's for the front of my Disco. But I don't want to spend the money yet.

They're nice if your stock lights aren't up to par... if you look at the before pics, you can tell the Jeeps headlights needed improvement.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I put some HID's in my stock headlights with hi and low. they work well. But I'm waiting for the ARB Intensity lights to come down in price. No way I'll spend $500 on a set of lights. I would be way to angry if they got broken or stolen.

i have some 4.5" led lights in place of the fog lights on my ARB bumper. They are pretty good, but they are not a spot beam. I need some longer range lights for back roads.

Nice Jeep Greg, tasteful mods so far.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I absolutely hate my Trucklites! In heavy snow, you can't use them at all. I hope you got the new heated version? That wasn't an option when I got mine.

Greg

Admin
I put some HID's in my stock headlights with hi and low. they work well. But I'm waiting for the ARB Intensity lights to come down in price. No way I'll spend $500 on a set of lights. I would be way to angry if they got broken or stolen.

i have some 4.5" led lights in place of the fog lights on my ARB bumper. They are pretty good, but they are not a spot beam. I need some longer range lights for back roads.

Nice Jeep Greg, tasteful mods so far.

Appreciate it, tasteful additions & changes is a big part of my build plan!

The lights look amazing. I've been thinking about one of those for my Harley.

They're a big improvement over traditional halogen lighting, that's for sure.

I absolutely hate my Trucklites! In heavy snow, you can't use them at all. I hope you got the new heated version? That wasn't an option when I got mine.

Of course! Heated or nothing here, I love driving in the snow... last thing I'd want is headlights getting covered in snow. I think they're the only LED heated light option out there.

Greg

Admin
It's been a few weeks since the last update and there has been some additions! Since we have been in the heat of mid-Summer, I was feeling the need to do something about the heat soaking in thru the black hardtop. The A/C works well, but the amount of heat that you feel on the inside of the top is crazy! It was time for some HotHead Headliners. I added the side window liners, their 'Sound Assassin' deadener and choose the Dark Oak color, which is a close match to the color of the interior.

P7103297-L.jpg

P7103298-L.jpg

The difference is impressive, much less heat coming in thru the top and reduced noise as well. It would be nice if JK's came with this from the factory!

Next up was the TeraFlex MP multi-purpose tailgate table w/ cutting board. Install was quick and easy, less than 30 min. Using the nutserts was simple, I tried to take my time and be careful and it helped. I installed the tailgate table right before a camping trip in the JKU and was very happy to have it.

20150809_105750-L.jpg

20150809_072449-L.jpg

Today I spent the morning installing the TeraFlex JKU rock sliders. This was a delicate operation, you need to drill 20 holes in the Jeep and add 14 nutserts. It's a bit unnerving drilling 20 holes and adding the nutserts, but again taking my time and being patient really helped... even thought it was 95*s outside! I watched the TeraFlex install video and that really helped in addition to the instructions. I used a liberal amount of anti-sieze on the nutsert install tool and threads of the nutserts and had zero issues. Collapsing the nutserts was done with hand tools, I felt I had more control and feeling of where the nutsert was 'set' with hand tools. Taking my time, the work took a few hours. I also decided to install a pair of Husky mud flaps on the front. I'll probably get some ribbing for these and never would have put something like this on my Jeep before, but the amount of mud, rocks and dirt that gets throw all over the side of the JK bothers me. The hinges get pitted and my windows have scratches in them already due to being rolled down with dirt on the outside. I don't know how long the front mud flaps will stay on after a trip to Moab, but I wanted to try them out. I think with the TeraFlex sliders and Husky mud flaps, I'll keep a good deal of dirt off the side of the Jeep. Last but not least, I added some 2" wide 3M grip tape, for sure footing when standing on the slider.

20150816_111606-L.jpg

20150816_115109-L.jpg

20150816_115136-L.jpg

20150816_092829-L.jpg

20150816_130207-L.jpg

20150816_130214-L.jpg

Greg

Admin

Greg

Admin
Are you still liking the KO2's? How many miles have you put on them?

I'm very happy with them, I think they're an amazing AT tire. Comparable to the old BFG AT, but with some good changes. To me, it seems like the tread pattern is a little tighter, but that hasn't caused any problems. When we took the Jeep to the San Jauns right after getting the lift and tires on and were driving in snow on steep trails, there were a few times I expected the tires to slip even a little, but they found traction without issue and kept us moving forward. Seems like there's a lot more siping with the new KO2. I probably have less than 1k miles on them still, no big trips at this point.... but plans are in the works for something huge in November with the Jeep!

Mine are load range E, which is a pretty beefy tire for the weight of a JKU. I've been airing down to 15 PSI or so and feel like I could go lower for real rocky terrain to make up for the heavy sidewalls.

looking good greg. You have great taste in mods.

Appreciate it Steve, that means a lot! There are plenty of examples out there of what not to do.... ;)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
When I had mine I had load range E Nittos and normally would air straight down to 11 psi and never lost a bead. Occasionally I went as low as 8 psi with no issues. And people know how hard I wheeled that pig. I would guess you could go down quite a bit more with the KO's with little problems.

Greg

Admin
When I had mine I had load range E Nittos and normally would air straight down to 11 psi and never lost a bead. Occasionally I went as low as 8 psi with no issues. And people know how hard I wheeled that pig. I would guess you could go down quite a bit more with the KO's with little problems.

Good info! I think I'll play around with 11-12 PSI next trip out, more often than not I'm covering a lot of ground rather than rock crawling so I need a good balance between traction and support at speed.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Great job Greg. I was in your neck of the woods last week. We made our annual trip to Ouray, CO and I was surprised at how warm it was. It was near 100 when we stopped in Green River, UT to grab some melons and didn't cool down much by the time we reached Montrose or Ouray. Definitely the warmest trip to Ouray we have taken. Usually this time of year we are running the furnace in the coach and wearing long pants all week. I was running the A/C in the coach for almost half the week and in shorts. Definitely a strange trip this year temperature wise.

I too like the new BFG KO2's. I have about 4k miles driving on mine and another 2k~ish being towed behind our coach so far this summer. I am very happy thus far with them. I was aired down to around 14 PSI all week and they handled the terrain great.

I think I may copy your insulation installation before I put my hard top back on for the winter.

Mike.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Good info! I think I'll play around with 11-12 PSI next trip out, more often than not I'm covering a lot of ground rather than rock crawling so I need a good balance between traction and support at speed.
I remember one time coming out from WW to retrieve a spare tire for someone. I was aired down to 11 or 12. I was in full Baja mode driving behind a SXS. When I got back to the highway he asked me how I kept up with him. We probably hit 60 MPH a few times. Really surprised him.

For sure play with the lower pressures. The heavy pig on load range E will like it. Obviously needing to hit some pavement every now and then will play a role too. I've been known to drive the hour plus from 5MP back to Clearfield aired down to 11. Probably not the safest move I ever made and I never really liked it but also never had any issues.