My wife needs a kidney, anyone?

JoeT

The time has come for me to start asking around for a kidney for my wife. Unfortunately I do not match and she's already got one from each of her parents. And because of laws no one under 21 may donate a kidney, so her young siblings are out. Several family members have tested but no match. Your typically looking at 4-6 weeks recovery time, and the surgey hospital stay is paid for by my insurance. Non smokers, non drinkers and a healthy lifestyle is a plus. Some companies will even pay their employees so there's no lost wages. This is a no B.S. situation here, my wife's health is not best now and is starting to go downhill slowly on us. You do not need to contact me just call Linda Karpowitz 581-2650 at the U of U kidney transplant cordinator. My wife's name is Angela Thompson.Tell her what your interested in.Thanks. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Joe Thompson

footin fool

Please everyone call and get tested and try to help her out.

Hey best of luck to you and your wife. I whish I could help also but I am also on my 3rd transplant. I know what she is going through, and it's not good. You guys have a great staff at the U. They have done all of mine.

ALF

SURE!?
The non smoker non drinker with a healthy lifestyle requirement kind of prevents me from helping:sick: good luck I hope everything works out

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
I have a fairly healthy lifestyle and would be willing if a the semi-drinking doesnt bother you all that much, how do we find out if were a match?

Currently active duty, so time offs not a big deal, have an O+ blood line, current on all shots, lol.

JoeT

Badcop said:
I have a fairly healthy lifestyle and would be willing if a the semi-drinking doesnt bother you all that much, how do we find out if were a match?

Currently active duty, so time offs not a big deal, have an O+ blood line, current on all shots, lol.
It doesn't bother me if someone has/had a drinking history. Drug abuse is definetly out. It's the Kidney transplant team that looks at all the donors spec/history that typically say no. Too many family members on Angie's side have too high of a B.M.I. ( how fat are you rating) that knocks them out. 1 Aunt lost 30 lbs to get tested and didn't match. See the U will not test someone unless they are within spec. Blood type is not really a problem, it's a person genetic markers that really count. Had your rabie shots also? lol We're just finding lots of family members that get knocked out because of medical/health/drugs/. There's a better chance of the donated kidney to work if the person is not related to her also. It's the genetic markers that she has from her mom/dads kidneys. I can totally understand these reasons. I'm calling today to see if I can push to get her name up higher on the donor list.

Last edited:

ALF

SURE!?
well my BMI is prob. high as you may have noticed when we met:D But i have no drug history and my blood pressure is great so if the skinny people don't work out let me know and we'll see what I can do:D

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
I woud love to help you as I am healty as a whistle, except I am still in recovery for my C-section wound that re-opened. Can I ask what is wrong with your wife and how come her body keeps rejecting all these kidneys?

footin fool

I got my last kidney from a part time drinker, living non related. Best one of the 3 new ones. So the drinking will not rule you out. Don't let that scare you off

JoeT

Her kidneys never fully developed as she grew up. So dad gave her one and it went south within a year. Then mom gave one and it lasted about 9 years. We think that after she gave birth to Harlie (RugRat #2) is when the trouble started. She's been going to dialysis for almost 18 months now. In the last 2 months she's been home for maybe 2 weeks. Angie had a stroke/ seizure and high blood presssure (215/185):eek: problems. Now she has some memory problems and anxitity problems.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
JeepinJoe said:
Her kidneys never fully developed as she grew up. So dad gave her one and it went south within a year. Then mom gave one and it lasted about 9 years. We think that after she gave birth to Harlie (RugRat #2) is when the trouble started. She's been going to dialysis for almost 18 months now. In the last 2 months she's been home for maybe 2 weeks. Angie had a stroke/ seizure and high blood presssure (215/185):eek: problems. Now she has some memory problems and anxitity problems.

Well Im more than willing to get tested, let me know where I need to go. My BMI isnt all that high, never used drugs, occasional drinker, thats about it. Other than broken bones and joints, Dr says Im healthy.

JoeT

Badcop said:
Well Im more than willing to get tested, let me know where I need to go. My BMI isnt all that high, never used drugs, occasional drinker, thats about it. Other than broken bones and joints, Dr says Im healthy.
PM SENT!

OK I do not want anyone to feel like they need to do this. Or for anyone that get's tested and matches backing out. You guys/gals are awesome! Again you can keep it to yourself as I do not want anyone to feel guilt trip into this. Thanks for all the interest in this. Good to hear that "Footin Fool" has had good luck with his. Barbie no worries, as you have a little one that needs you.

Badcop/Brett THANK YOU!!!!!:bow:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
An issue that is near and dear to me....as at one in my life I was facing the possible need of a transplant....Luckily meds worked for me.

Wish I could help, but due to mentioned history of problems, they won't even let me give blood.
I wish you best of luck and applaud all willing to give their time to be tested!!

embabe

My own epidemic!
How soon are we talking time-frame wise. If I did match and could swing it with work and all, I wouldn't be physically available till mid-May-ish. Otherwise, good luck and best wishes! If you need anything else I can help with, let me know! (I"m really good at giving blood or plasma and I've had all my shots too! ;) )

JoeT

embabe said:
How soon are we talking time-frame wise. If I did match and could swing it with work and all, I wouldn't be physically available till mid-May-ish. Otherwise, good luck and best wishes! If you need anything else I can help with, let me know! (I"m really good at giving blood or plasma and I've had all my shots too! ;) )
The soonest typically is 45-60 days. However that can change quickly if her health starts to nosedive on us.

FYI - we now have about 4-5 people lined up. I am also checking to see if I can get her name pushed up higher on the transplant list.

JoeT

OK so it seems that the U pulled my wife from the " needs a transplant list " :rolleyes: :mad2: because of her current health. I'll be taking her in real soon to get her re-evaluated and reactivated on the list. Thanks to all that are making calls into the U to be on the list.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
I went down yesterday, and bad news for me, due to the last surgery and the upcoming couple, I was told by my neuro surgeon that I am not a donor of anything for atleast 10yrs due to the prosthetics installed....

Sorry, Joe, I hope you find someone.