Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

The_Lobbster

Building a 24x26 garage in the back yard. Just the building since the concrete is done.
Ah gotcha! I saw the gas line talk and thought you were referring to HVAC stuffs.
Curious who you got a quote through? I’ve been thinking about a garage in my backyard.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Get the materials and have a build party? There seem to be a LOT of talented folks on the board that'd help you out?
I really appreciate the idea but with building inspections and how freaking granular the city's requirements are I don't see it as a viable option. They go as far as to say what size nails and how many in certain parts of the build. That's just one example. It would be exhausting to try and manage all that without being a contractor/someone to hold accountable IMO.

Ah gotcha! I saw the gas line talk and thought you were referring to HVAC stuffs.
Curious who you got a quote through? I’ve been thinking about a garage in my backyard.
I just googled "SLC garage contractors" and sent out about a dozen requests, stating I already have the concrete done and the engineered plans. This guy was the first to respond and has been a great communicator.
I'm hoping to get a number of estimates- in fact I have two other companies that are working on it now. I especially feel this need now that I saw how much higher it came in than I expected.

Who am I kidding, I'll just tell you guys-... the estimate was $58k. I was hoping it'd be $40k or less. He also didn't include the skylights which should add a couple grand. There's also no line item for sheet rock, which is silly cause I told him I'd like an estimate with and w/o that.

EDIT: he just added the skylights, sheet rock and insulation and it's now $73k :oops:
I hope my other estimates are lower. He has 1800 sq ft of sheet rock, mudded, taped and sanded for $9k. Based on some basic, quick calculations I bet it's around $1k in materials so that's quite the premium for labor IMO. Hell, my BIL is having his basement finished right now by some guys and it's ~$30k finished (framed, floored, sheet rocked, painted etc). It's around 1500 sq ft! I couldn't believe the price when he told me. I need to find out if those guys do garages lol

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I really appreciate the idea but with building inspections and how freaking granular the city's requirements are I don't see it as a viable option. They go as far as to say what size nails and how many in certain parts of the build. That's just one example. It would be exhausting to try and manage all that without being a contractor/someone to hold accountable IMO.

I just googled "SLC garage contractors" and sent out about a dozen requests, stating I already have the concrete done and the engineered plans. This guy was the first to respond and has been a great communicator.
I'm hoping to get a number of estimates- in fact I have two other companies that are working on it now. I especially feel this need now that I saw how much higher it came in than I expected.

Who am I kidding, I'll just tell you guys-... the estimate was $58k. I was hoping it'd be $40k or less. He also didn't include the skylights which should add a couple grand. There's also no line item for sheet rock, which is silly cause I told him I'd like an estimate with and w/o that.
You can totally frame this thing and do it to city specs. With a couple friends, you could do the walls easily in a weekend and the trusses/ roof sheeting in another weekend. Let me exemplify how hard framing is. Every framing crew Foreman will refuse to explain how to figure out rise over run for stairs. It's middle school math. Why refuse to teach this? Because once you know that, you are king swinging dick and can start your own framing company. Seriously. Rise over run angle is what limits every cut guy from owning the company.

Pike2350

I had my 24x26 built by Equity Builders. They did a pretty good job overall. My garage, including the concrete and stem walls (not just slab like many others) was just under $40k in 2020. This included brick wainscot, 2)3'x4' windows, 18'9' garage door, but only 8' walls (on top of the stem wall) as well as full electrical panel moved from house to garage and run underground back to the house. I did not have them do anything inside except run 2 20amp circuits and 1 50amp circuit. I did all the drywall, epoxy floor and finish work inside outside of that price.

They had a "standard 24x26x8 price of $28k.

Not sure if they were one place you had bid yours, but it may be worth a call.

[edit] I just checked and their license is still active.

N-Smooth

You can totally frame this thing and do it to city specs. With a couple friends, you could do the walls easily in a weekend and the trusses/ roof sheeting in another weekend. Let me exemplify how hard framing is. Every framing crew Foreman will refuse to explain how to figure out rise over run for stairs. It's middle school math. Why refuse to teach this? Because once you know that, you are king swinging dick and can start your own framing company. Seriously. Rise over run angle is what limits every cut guy from owning the company.
You may be totally right. I need to figure it out. If this was 10 years ago I'd definitely take it on as my dad built the house I grew up in and my FIL roofed for like 60 years. Unfortunately they're both older now and not interested in the work.

I had my 24x26 built by Equity Builders. They did a pretty good job overall. My garage, including the concrete and stem walls (not just slab like many others) was just under $40k in 2020. This included brick wainscot, 2)3'x4' windows, 18'9' garage door, but only 8' walls (on top of the stem wall) as well as full electrical panel moved from house to garage and run underground back to the house. I did not have them do anything inside except run 2 20amp circuits and 1 50amp circuit. I did all the drywall, epoxy floor and finish work inside outside of that price.

They had a "standard 24x26x8 price of $28k.

Not sure if they were one place you had bid yours, but it may be worth a call.

[edit] I just checked and their license is still active.
So I did send them an estimate request (no reply) but knowing they did yours I'll take the time to call them. Your shop looks like it was done well so hopefully they'll consider something that's not their standard build. $40k was what I had in mind at the start of all of this so to consider that concrete was already around $20k and the first estimate for the building is so high- it really kills my spirit.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Right now contractors are still busy enough that they are not worried about low bidding jobs.

Maybe as a a reference, I built my 26x50 garage when material prices were a little higher, not the peak of pricing but probably somewhat close to what things are at now on OSB. I paid a friend $40/hr to help me frame it 2x6x14 studs, half my trusses are attic trusses on a 8/12 pitch. I have not insulated or sheet rocked yet and still have some electrical to finish. I am into it about 70k so far and that includes my concrete.

I think you can get it done for less than 73k with somebody doing the whole thing. If you were to do as much yourself as possible I think you would be at least 30-35k including stucco.

To finish mine out I anticipate it will cost me about another 25k.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Individually those numbers don't look too bad.. but collectively :oops:

It seems like your roof, doors, and window are way high though... but not enough to make a dent in the overall.

I do think that whether you go for the high bid or low bid, you are going to get the same crappy service

N-Smooth

Even though he doesn't show up here much, maybe @Cascadia could give you a bid or at least an idea of whether he thinks the bid is in line with what you should expect to pay.
I asked him about it when I was starting the project last year. He asked where and I said WJ and he never replied back.

I'd farm out the garage door install.
Few contractors do it themselves. They just make a cut when A-Z garage doors shows up and installs it.
Agreed. Honestly I’m hoping most of this outrageous bid is his cut but we’ll see.

I need to see what this garage door looks like.
I have a random pic of my 3rd car door. It’s just like this one but 16x8. I can’t find the price for that model online. Garage door places seem to all be “call for pricing.” It’s an insulated door but still, seems steep.

Corban_White

Just for reference, I built my 12x24 shed last year (I bought the lumber just down from the peak in October 2022) for ~$12-15k. That's just materials, I did all the work. No concrete, but it is insulated, drywalled, HVAC, etc. If you did it yourself/with friends I bet you could get it done for $30k not including the door. No one likes to ask for help, but I see RME build parties being offered often. It does take a bit of work to save a bunch of money, but it isn't overwhelming if you just break it down into pieces. Your dad and FIL might not be interested in doing the work, but I'd bed they are more than willing to give you advice. Best way to learn is by doing. If you miss a few nails the inspector will just tell you to add them, not tear the whole thing down.