Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
They compacted it and let it sit for a week. They also put rebar in a couple of the corners, where the driveway transitions to the patio. I thought that was a good call

N-Smooth

So I got this all sealed on Sunday since the weather would appear to just be getting worse and worse. A good buddy of mine from the ward runs Intermountain Concrete Specialties and he helped me out on the last house so obviously I went to him again. He got me penetrating sealer for all of my concrete and a hardener for the new garage floor and I sprayed it on with his sprayer. It's 4,000 sq ft of concrete! It went on well and I had the opportunity to see the rain bead up on it yesterday so it's clearly working.

Moving on to more fun stuff, @STAG recommended CKR engineers for getting plans for the building so I gave them a call today. I'm impressed with the guy I talked to and he was willing to answer all my dumb questions so that's a big perk. It'll be $750 bucks to get drawings from them and they will do a number of free revisions for me if needed. So now I need to get down to design and would love some input from those of you that have shop experience---

The shop will be 24Wx26D. That's set in stone. I'm limited to 14' at the roof peak and want a 10' wall which should be possible with a 4:12 roof pitch. What I'm thinking about now is windows. I know some don't like them in a shop but I do. The man door is 4' back from the front corner so do I just ask for a window in the center on that side like this super generic internet image shows? Center one on the opposite wall and on the back wall as well? I really like natural light but at the same time I have concerns about killing functional wall space with windows. Security is not a concern so strike that from your minds.

1699483317660.png
Here's a couple rando images to help visualize. They're pretty much all a little different than mine will be but it helps.

This one is 24x22, is 13' overall and looks like a 10' wall.
1699484648157.png

This one is 24x26, has a 10' wall and is 15' overall so pretty close other than the 18' garage door (mine will be 16')
1699484711050.png

This one is 24x26, has a 8' wall and doesn't list height.
1699484782655.png

TIA!

James K

NO, I'm always like this
So I got this all sealed on Sunday since the weather would appear to just be getting worse and worse. A good buddy of mine from the ward runs Intermountain Concrete Specialties and he helped me out on the last house so obviously I went to him again. He got me penetrating sealer for all of my concrete and a hardener for the new garage floor and I sprayed it on with his sprayer. It's 4,000 sq ft of concrete! It went on well and I had the opportunity to see the rain bead up on it yesterday so it's clearly working.

Moving on to more fun stuff, @STAG recommended CKR engineers for getting plans for the building so I gave them a call today. I'm impressed with the guy I talked to and he was willing to answer all my dumb questions so that's a big perk. It'll be $750 bucks to get drawings from them and they will do a number of free revisions for me if needed. So now I need to get down to design and would love some input from those of you that have shop experience---

The shop will be 24Wx26D. That's set in stone. I'm limited to 14' at the roof peak and want a 10' wall which should be possible with a 4:12 roof pitch. What I'm thinking about now is windows. I know some don't like them in a shop but I do. The man door is 4' back from the front corner so do I just ask for a window in the center on that side like this super generic internet image shows? Center one on the opposite wall and on the back wall as well? I really like natural light but at the same time I have concerns about killing functional wall space with windows. Security is not a concern so strike that from your minds.

View attachment 166258
Here's a couple rando images to help visualize. They're pretty much all a little different than mine will be but it helps.

This one is 24x22, is 13' overall and looks like a 10' wall.
View attachment 166259

This one is 24x26, has a 10' wall and is 15' overall so pretty close other than the 18' garage door (mine will be 16')
View attachment 166260

This one is 24x26, has a 8' wall and doesn't list height.
View attachment 166261

TIA!
Windows kill wall space. Do two 2x4 foot skylights. They work really well.

N-Smooth

I would run a band of windows up high along your south wall. Plan for a mini-split, too.
We have two probably 16" square windows on the side of the main garage and they're weak sauce but a couple long ones could be cool but then again the south wall of the new garage will be the one with the door. So that would be weird. The west wall would work though...?

Windows kill wall space. Do two 2x4 foot skylights. They work really well.
So skylights bring up another question for me. I don't know if I can leave the ceiling unfinished and just have trusses or if the city would be pissed and fine me. If I can leave it unfinished I'd be tempted to do skylights because that would be a lot of light.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have 3 skylights in my shop. Love the light when I don't have the lights on, and they don't take up wall space like you said. :)

James K

NO, I'm always like this
We have two probably 16" square windows on the side of the main garage and they're weak sauce but a couple long ones could be cool but then again the south wall of the new garage will be the one with the door. So that would be weird. The west wall would work though...?

So skylights bring up another question for me. I don't know if I can leave the ceiling unfinished and just have trusses or if the city would be pissed and fine me. If I can leave it unfinished I'd be tempted to do skylights because that would be a lot of light.
Are you insulating the shop?

N-Smooth

Do the skylights like James said, get the rafters for a vaulted ceiling, and definitely insulate it and paint the interior before you move anything in there.
I've been wondering if scissor trusses would be worthwhile. If you add skylights that definitely helps justify them.

N-Smooth

Seeing pics of your shop really made me realize I need scissor trusses. I’m not sure on the skylights. I’ll ask my FIL since he’s a roofer and built homes. I’m just curious on the cost.

Scissor trusses make it possible to do a big window up high on the West and East side or a bunch of little windows up there. My wife has concerns about such a window getting broken with it backing the field… but I’m not going to let stuff like that make me not do something I like.

N-Smooth

Just talked to my FIL and he thinks 2 or 3 skylights would be super nice on my shop. He recommended Velux because he has experience with them and honestly the price isn’t bad. I think it would pay off to do it so I’ll ask for it in the plans.

I think I’ll go for that and do a window on the south side by the man door and call it a day on windows. Maybe and I mean maybe I’ll add one on the west side up high.

Thanks for the input guys

STAG

On my grind
When drywall is in and mudded, I guarantee you could have a volunteer RME paint party and a few of us (myself included) would show up to trade services for pizza and Mt Dew, if you didn’t want to hire it out.

I’m pretty sure I even have a paint sprayer.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I would skip the drywall and go straight to plywood. I regret sticking drywall on my walls. It gets dings and holes way too easy and often. If you had plywood, it would be significantly stronger more durable, and you could add accessories literally anywhere.