Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I'm still working on the insulation in my shop...started last summer and have about one more wall to go. I have one more circuit to wire as well. You're doing a great job getting things done!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm still working on the insulation in my shop...started last summer and have about one more wall to go. I have one more circuit to wire as well. You're doing a great job getting things done!
I finished it last night after a whole day out there. It sucked. A lot. And it was expensive. I think I’m at just over $1200 for the insulation but I have a whole bag of the 23” stuff to take back and that’s like $114.

But hey, it’s done and I can move on to the next steps!

cjncustoms

I got the walls finished up tonight and started on the ceiling. The ceiling sucks balls way worse than the walls- which I expected.
View attachment 171921
Ooh I also got the window today. Looking back I probably could’ve installed that myself pretty easily but the contractor that did the framing offered to install it for $90 or something cheap. Totally worth it so I can spend my time on my passion project- insulation 🤣🤮
He ordered the they/them door as well. It should be ready in a week.
Also had a garage door estimator come out on Tuesday but still haven’t heard back. They were very familiar with wall-mounted/direct drive openers and the “hi-lift” style track so I’m hoping their number isn’t too ridiculous. I’m sure it will be.
Let me know if you need another garage door quote. I have a guy.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I got the walls finished up tonight and started on the ceiling. The ceiling sucks balls way worse than the walls- which I expected.
View attachment 171921
Ooh I also got the window today. Looking back I probably could’ve installed that myself pretty easily but the contractor that did the framing offered to install it for $90 or something cheap. Totally worth it so I can spend my time on my passion project- insulation 🤣🤮
He ordered the they/them door as well. It should be ready in a week.
Also had a garage door estimator come out on Tuesday but still haven’t heard back. They were very familiar with wall-mounted/direct drive openers and the “hi-lift” style track so I’m hoping their number isn’t too ridiculous. I’m sure it will be.
I did a jack drive on my 10 foot high door so that it could lift up to the same level as my 14’ door. IIRC the lift motor is about double a normal door opener but nothing else is any different than a normal one.

N-Smooth

Let me know if you need another garage door quote. I have a guy.
Will do, thanks Calvin!

I did a jack drive on my 10 foot high door so that it could lift up to the same level as my 14’ door. IIRC the lift motor is about double a normal door opener but nothing else is any different than a normal one.
Yeah the opener is a little more but it’s not bad for what you get. When I first saw one I was a little surprised they’re not more popular.

N-Smooth

I spent way too much time cleaning up the shop last night. It’s ridiculous how many tools I had stacked on the two temporary work benches I had in there. I digress, it’s done and I had to do it because…
IMG_3686.jpeg
Sheetrock delivery!

They’re supposed to start on Thursday and now I get to play the game of having them do the one outside wall and having it inspected and then having the stucco guy immediately wrap it- then have the city inspect that. It’s going to be so fun.

It leads me to painting though. I know I want to paint it myself but I don’t really want to roller it. Do I rent a big sprayer from HD? Does that then require back-rolling anyways?

N-Smooth

Sheet rock?
I know it's too late now but why not wood panels so you can hang stuff?
We discussed it earlier in the thread. I chose the better looks of sheetrock over the ease of hanging stuff on the walls 🤷‍♂️

Also I have 2 fire walls so it wouldn't have been code compliant anyways.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We discussed it earlier in the thread. I chose the better looks of sheetrock over the ease of hanging stuff on the walls 🤷‍♂️

Also I have 2 fire walls so it wouldn't have been code compliant anyways.

Definitely put up some plywood over the sheetrock where your workbench/tool storage areas will be. Mucho easier to just screw into some 1/2" ply wood than break out the stud finder (she's usually busy at my house) to hang stuff up.

N-Smooth

I would recommend back rolling. It will give you more even coverage.
I know my dad prefers that but he’s old school so I never know if his way is the right way anymore.

I’ve never rented one of the big spray guns but my BIL did once. My bro stole my bike from my house and painted the whole thing white (and I mean the WHOLE THING) and dubbed it the temple bike. I wanted to mad but I just couldn’t.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I know my dad prefers that but he’s old school so I never know if his way is the right way anymore.

I’ve never rented one of the big spray guns but my BIL did once. My bro stole my bike from my house and painted the whole thing white (and I mean the WHOLE THING) and dubbed it the temple bike. I wanted to mad but I just couldn’t.

I have rolled and sprayed many many times. I'd roll the garage. You will either spend a ton of time taping/covering or get over spray everywhere, and the amount of paint waste and clean up time is a joke if you are not doing a larger project.

You can roll that whole garage in a couple hours. Especially on a warm day.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have rolled and sprayed many many times. I'd roll the garage. You will either spend a ton of time taping/covering or get over spray everywhere, and the amount of paint waste and clean up time is a joke if you are not doing a larger project.

I agree. A whole house, I’d spray and back roll. A garage that size, just roll it.

Pile of parts

The big reason to back roll after spraying is for touch up later. Rolling leaves a slight texture and spraying doesn't. If you only spray and have to repair or touch up, you'll most likely do that with a roller and it will stand out from the rest. I sprayed and back rolled mine. Yes, there was a lot of prep but there was also a lot of surface area. 32' x 40' and about 19' -20' at the peak inside.
IMG_20190521_202831501.jpg

N-Smooth

I agree. A whole house, I’d spray and back roll. A garage that size, just roll it.

Input received. I figured I'd just drop plastic on the whole floor whether I roll it or spray it so I wasn't worried about that. I'll think about it I guess. I'd appreciate it if you guys would stop calling my garage small though 😢

The big reason to back roll after spraying is for touch up later. Rolling leaves a slight texture and spraying doesn't. If you only spray and have to repair or touch up, you'll most likely do that with a roller and it will stand out from the rest. I sprayed and back rolled mine. Yes, there was a lot of prep but there was also a lot of surface area. 32' x 40' and about 19' -20' at the peak inside.
View attachment 172268

Back-rolling for texture makes perfect sense. That should've been obvious for me but alas, I has the dumb. Your ceiling height is ridiculous!

Pile of parts

Your ceiling height is ridiculous!
I thought about mounting a basketball hoop on one wall. 😁 Hanging sheet rock was an adventure. I think I went with 10' instead of 12' on the ceiling. I was trying to minimize tape joints but 12' seemed completely unmanageable at that height.
You're going to love that garage. I'm in mine about every night of the week. Love seeing the progress.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You also back roll to manage runs. I’ve only sprayed a house twice, and it’s been a long time. I just remember spending WAY too much time cleaning and messing with the sprayer.

If I ever have to spray again, I would likely buy a cheap Wagner sprayer and throw it in the garbage after the job is done.

Pike2350

I sprayed mine. It did get the paint in the walls fast. I did back roll just lightly. I felt like I went through a lot of paint with the sprayer.

When you are doing everything 1 come and don't have stuff in the way prepping fit spreading isn't too bad.

Attachments

• 20201129_204638.jpg
    20201129_204638.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 10