Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I just had the electrical inspection and he said I did great work. I told him it was my first panel and he said it looks better than most house panels the pros do. I like this guy! 🤣

I passed, no revisions.
It does look good, you did a good job. I love doing electrical work (but I'm def not a pro) and I did my shop subpannel all nice and clean too. Just nice to be able see where everything goes when you open it up.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just totaled up my wiring expenses and it came to $1885.

So I saved $2,815 over the estimate the sparkies gave me. It’s also worth noting that I added quite a few things that were not in their estimate and even counted some of the tools I purchased as part of the expenses. I call that a big WIN!

Honestly the savings on this stuff is what helps me justify paying for TV/sound system and even sheet rock work. It all adds up!

Edit: I just realized their quote did include receptacles (which I haven’t purchased yet) and that will be some money but still, a huge savings! I just wanted to be transparent.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Tonight I ran some “bell” wire for the garage door sensors and opener remote. Fun stuff.

Then I finished up my ethernet cable that I ran through the conduit from the house. I plugged it into one of the mesh extenders in the new garage and had just awful speeds. Like 90mbps. Unplugged the extender was giving my phone around 600mbps. Dumb. So I grabbed my work laptop and spent over an hour speed testing all of the things throughout the house, starting at the router. I found that the longest, most terrible cable to replace is that one that’s causing the issues. The one that runs from the side of the house to the utility room (where the network switch lives) is bad. I didn’t know this could happen but it just legitimately tests between 70-90Mbps consistently. How does that work??? I’m going to change the ends on it tomorrow and pray that fixes it but that’s wishful thinking at best. I knew I should’ve tested that cable before putting in the work! At this point I wonder if just putting the mesh extender out there on wifi would be just fine. I can probably get a third one from Google to replace this one’s place in the house.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Then I finished up my ethernet cable that I ran through the conduit from the house. I plugged it into one of the mesh extenders in the new garage and had just awful speeds. Like 90mbps. Unplugged the extender was giving my phone around 600mbps. Dumb. So I grabbed my work laptop and spent over an hour speed testing all of the things throughout the house, starting at the router. I found that the longest, most terrible cable to replace is that one that’s causing the issues. The one that runs from the side of the house to the utility room (where the network switch lives) is bad. I didn’t know this could happen but it just legitimately tests between 70-90Mbps consistently. How does that work??? I’m going to change the ends on it tomorrow and pray that fixes it but that’s wishful thinking at best. I knew I should’ve tested that cable before putting in the work! At this point I wonder if just putting the mesh extender out there on wifi would be just fine. I can probably get a third one from Google to replace this one’s place in the house.
How long is the bad cable? Maximum length on Cat5e/6/6A is around 330ft, then you start to see significant drops in performance. It also matters how the cable is terminated. I generally just use T-568B for everything, which is for "permanent" wires, but if its terminated as a patch or crossover, you'll see performance drops that are even greater over longer runs. And of course, if the ends aren't crimped properly and one or two of the wires aren't being used you'll see bad performance as well. And as mentioned before, running even shielded Cat6 parallel with high voltage lines has the potential to disrupt its signal strength, especially the longer that they run parallel with each other.

If your mesh setup can send a signal all the way to your shop from the house and you're getting 600mbps, thats pretty damn good! Unless you have something in the garage that demands a wired connection, I say go with that.

N-Smooth

How long is the bad cable? Maximum length on Cat5e/6/6A is around 330ft, then you start to see significant drops in performance. It also matters how the cable is terminated. I generally just use T-568B for everything, which is for "permanent" wires, but if its terminated as a patch or crossover, you'll see performance drops that are even greater over longer runs. And of course, if the ends aren't crimped properly and one or two of the wires aren't being used you'll see bad performance as well. And as mentioned before, running even shielded Cat6 parallel with high voltage lines has the potential to disrupt its signal strength, especially the longer that they run parallel with each other.

If your mesh setup can send a signal all the way to your shop from the house and you're getting 600mbps, thats pretty damn good! Unless you have something in the garage that demands a wired connection, I say go with that.
It’s a long cable. I’d guess around 100ft. I terminated the ends and did T-568B with all 8 wires. All the other cables I made are fine but I still hope that’s the issue with this one. We’ll see.

I don’t need a wired connection in the shop. I just wanted to wire the extender and really send out some killer wifi from there. But yeah, like you said, 600 is plenty.

N-Smooth

I just ordered another mesh extender from GF for a one-time fee of $85. I’ll put that where this one was and call it a day. If I ever decide to run some cable out here in the future I’ll have it in the wall/ceiling, just waiting.

I really can’t complain about speeds like this out here.
IMG_3571.jpeg

But also, I need to get started on the next step. I’m excited. Not only is it SUPER fun to work with but it’s also CHEAP.
image.jpg
Both of those statements are LIES! This shit was $430!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I really can’t complain about speeds like this out here.
IMG_3571.jpeg
That's PLENTY of speed to watch youtube videos of babes doing woodworking.
I don't know from experience.

N-Smooth

That insulation for the walls? I would grab this for the ceiling....assuming 24" OC trusses

Yup, for the walls. That’s the plan for the ceiling!

N-Smooth

Again my 90’s is showing through because my stapler is air powered :ugh:
My stapler has always been hand powered until yesterday at like 4 I ordered one from Amazon and it was here ~3 hours later. Worth it!

Your Baja Blast is missing a cooler.
Hey man we're not all dealing with sweltering heat yet, it got down to like 35 degrees here last night. The days of garage temp beverages are numbered but still here.

N-Smooth

I got the walls finished up tonight and started on the ceiling. The ceiling sucks balls way worse than the walls- which I expected.
IMG_3598.jpeg
Ooh I also got the window today. Looking back I probably could’ve installed that myself pretty easily but the contractor that did the framing offered to install it for $90 or something cheap. Totally worth it so I can spend my time on my passion project- insulation 🤣🤮
He ordered the they/them door as well. It should be ready in a week.
Also had a garage door estimator come out on Tuesday but still haven’t heard back. They were very familiar with wall-mounted/direct drive openers and the “hi-lift” style track so I’m hoping their number isn’t too ridiculous. I’m sure it will be.