Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Heading out to Lil' Moab tomorrow if anyone wants in. Meeting at the four corners Chevron 9:45-10 AM. Hope to see some RME'rs out there!

N-Smooth

Went to Lil' Moab, almost rolled. Bent and broke some stuff. Good times.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Even after trying to straighten everything out it still looks like this and the header is broken (fiberglass)
image.jpg
There will be changes...
image.jpg

N-Smooth

Oh yeah, I started tearing it apart right when I got home. Sometimes when I'm on a wave of motivation I just ride it. You should text me any pics or video you got when you get a sec. Thanks again for going!

blznnp

Oh yeah, I started tearing it apart right when I got home. Sometimes when I'm on a wave of motivation I just ride it. You should text me any pics or video you got when you get a sec. Thanks again for going!

wish I could have gotten some more pics, or any pics. glad I could make it out, even if I had some breakage. Always good to get out and see some dirt and rocks.

N-Smooth

Always good to get out and see some dirt and rocks.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I think your rig is in my top 5 favorite rigs of all time. It's just plain COOL! I'm confident that once you get all the build bugs worked out it's going to be a real beast.

You also gave me a new signature line!

blznnp

Well if it makes you feel any better, I think your rig is in my top 5 favorite rigs of all time. It's just plain COOL! I'm confident that once you get all the build bugs worked out it's going to be a real beast.

You also gave me a new signature line!

Well thank you and your welcome. Hopefully after this winter I can get all my bugs all worked out. Gonna take the driveline into taton this week and see what he can do, probably use my other driveline and make a square tube one as a back up.

N-Smooth

Had a good bit of anxiety today (being grown-up sucks, right?) so I came home after work and took a nice dose of Jeep time. It was just what the doctor ordered for sure. Got a whole bunch of stuff torn out of the engine bay so I can tear into the sheetmetal tomorrow. Wide open spaces
image.jpg
Going to cut along this tape line, inside and out, from front to back
image.jpg
Lots of stuff came out, some must go back in like the battery of course. Thinking I'll put it on the passenger firewall cause there's lots of room there or behind the pass seat. Either way it will be in a battery box. I need to get some longer cables. One day I'll get one of them fancy batteries but for now, this one still works.

The hood hinges are very bent. Now that I took them off I might be able to straighten them out. If not, I'll do a pin at each corner.

Going to get tube tomorrow and get started on the fun stuff!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Some sort of hood hinges are WAY nicer than having 4 pins. Lifting the hood off and setting it somewhere sucks. So even if you don't keep the stock hinges, do something to keep the hood attached somehow. :)

N-Smooth

Yeah, now that I took the hinges off (and realized how easy it was) I would like to straighten them out and utilize them but we'll see. They are pretty bent up.

N-Smooth

Had some fun working on it today. Got a stick (23') of tube from Midnight 4x4 first thing and some sawzall blades from HF. Came home and got started. Got to this point in just a few minutes
image.jpg
image.jpg
Messed around, mocking it up
image.jpg
image.jpg
Also put the hood in place and the new header just to strategize and decide how to do the tube work. I also found some bad stuff...looking at the front end I realized that when I tipped onto the hood and fender it didn't just damage the header but it actually bent the whole radiator. The top is bolted into the header and the bottom has two tabs that drop into holes with bushings. The top moved, the bottom stayed put and so the whole radiator is a trapezoid is the only way I can put it. I was going to just re-drill the header piece and move it over 1" to make the front end centered again but now I'm thinking a new radiator might be safer. I'm worried this one is going to start leaking. It sucks cause this radiator is probably
4 years old but oh well, $102 at Autozone or $85 on Amazon prime. Better order one...

I also came to the conclusion that I do need hinges like Carl said and they won't be the ones I have cause they're so bent. I'm thinking Jy hinges will be a much better choice.

Lifelong Jeeper

Well, some insomnia gives you enough reason to not stop reading and the entertainment/build value contained herein gives you enough reason to keep going. I just read and studied all that you've done for the last several years as your Jeep has evolved. Some great ideas for sure.

I keep going back and forth on building a hybrid cage or full Exo on my ZJ. I'm currently decided on the later. It's a daily driver on 6" springs, D60's, and 37's and stretched to 110".

Any reason in your opinion why I should go hybrid?

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Hey Nate, I have a radiator and hinges that you can have. I am coming up in a month and can bring them then if you can wait that long. I also have a hood if your current one is in need of replacing and a header/grill also. Let me know.

N-Smooth

Well, some insomnia gives you enough reason to not stop reading and the entertainment/build value contained herein gives you enough reason to keep going. I just read and studied all that you've done for the last several years as your Jeep has evolved. Some great ideas for sure.

I keep going back and forth on building a hybrid cage or full Exo on my ZJ. I'm currently decided on the later. It's a daily driver on 6" springs, D60's, and 37's and stretched to 110".

Any reason in your opinion why I should go hybrid?

Thanks for posting. I like hybrid cages because I've never really seen an exo that I liked. No offense to everyone with an exo... If I wasn't a big person I would do an internal cage and be done but then again the roof sliders on the hybrid have already been very, very useful on more than one occasion.

N-Smooth

Hey Nate, I have a radiator and hinges that you can have. I am coming up in a month and can bring them then if you can wait that long. I also have a hood if your current one is in need of replacing and a header/grill also. Let me know.

Well dang, that sucks. If I could wait a month I totally would but I'd hate to have the Jeep down for that long. I would however still be interested in them if you're tossing them. If you want to keep them for yourself I understand.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Well dang, that sucks. If I could wait a month I totally would but I'd hate to have the Jeep down for that long. I would however still be interested in them if you're tossing them. If you want to keep them for yourself I understand.
Well if you know anyone coming down I could meet up with them and they could get a ride. Also if there is anything else you can think of you might want let me know.