Need engine help

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
I've been having some problems with my ZJ. I has the 4.0. The engine has been acting up. :-\ I tried taking a little video clip so that you can hear what the exaust sounds like but its kinda hard to hear so turn up your speakers. :D

http://www.4x4junkies.com/sickjeep.avi (6.61MB)

I've been dealing with it for quite a while now. It seems that it does it when the engine gets put under load such as towing or going up a steep hill or something like that but it doesn't have to be in those situations to do it. When it does it, i have to pull over, turn it off and let it sit for like 15 minutes. :mad: Crank it over and it runs fine and off I go till it does it again. Someone had told me a while ago that maybe it was a clogged exaust so i replaced my cat and everything behind it with high flow and a little bigger pipe. It also seems to be more likely to do it when the temperature outside is hotter. I'm extremely low on money and am very hesitant to just start replacing every single possibility. I'd like to see if there is something more likely than other. Anyway, I can't figure it out and thought I would check with all of you. Please let me know what you think. I truly appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
My friend is having the same problem. I would say its your cat. Smack your cat and see if it rattles. If so you know the ceramic is burnt up and broken.
If you cat is burned up its possible your O2 sensors are out and your running rich (which leads to burt up cats)

Good luck

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
Jay5.9L said:
My friend is having the same problem. I would say its your cat. Smack your cat and see if it rattles. If so you know the ceramic is burnt up and broken.
If you cat is burned up its possible your O2 sensors are out and your running rich (which leads to burt up cats)

Good luck

I just got a new cat. Maybe has 50 miles worth on it. What does the 02 senser do that would make it do that? I guess i've never understood what that part does. :D

dungbeetle

I've got a couple of 95 ZJs that are not in use at the moment. If you would like to try swapping some parts, we could probably check out a few components, and eliminate some possibilities at the least.

86RICK

o2 sensors

o2 sensor generally at up one those wehicles what happens most the time is they short or carbon cakes and burns on to them giving you unaccurate readings making the motor act different the best way to test it is with another the a generally pretty spendy around one hundred dollars. what you could do is pull it and start the vehicle and see if it runs funny i dont remember on those jeeps what happens i have not worked for dodge in a year and a half. hope this helps. just talked with a tech he says if you pull it it will run like hell or be real slugish

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
dungbeetle said:
I've got a couple of 95 ZJs that are not in use at the moment. If you would like to try swapping some parts, we could probably check out a few components, and eliminate some possibilities at the least.

where do you live?

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
86RICK said:
o2 sensor generally at up one those wehicles what happens most the time is they short or carbon cakes and burns on to them giving you unaccurate readings making the motor act different the best way to test it is with another the a generally pretty spendy around one hundred dollars. what you could do is pull it and start the vehicle and see if it runs funny i dont remember on those jeeps what happens i have not worked for dodge in a year and a half. hope this helps. just talked with a tech he says if you pull it it will run like hell or be real slugish

maybe i'll have to check that out. I don't mind spending the 100 bucks on one if i know that is what it is. I just would rather not spend the money on it and find out it was something different. I guess that is just part of the process though