need new tires, suggestions pls

carlojip

Need to replace my tires soon and I need some suggestions. I'm planning to buy from here- http://4wheelonline.com/Off_Road_Mud_Tires.25 but can't decide which tires to get. I like the aggressive look of the Trail Grapplers but they are quite expensive. Any cheap yet good alternative to Nitto? Most of my driving is on the road with occasional off roading. Any recommendations on aggressive looking tires that don't have aggressive price tag. Thanks.

wheelewagon

I think you're kind of contradicting yourself. IMOA I think spend the money once on the right choice rather then deal with something crappy. What are you looking to put them on and what size? My first choice is Maxxis treps, then Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax next. Both great tires in my opinion, but have differences. Of coarse it depends on what you're looking for tires for.

sixstringsteve

Here's my suggestion:

Tires are what connect your vehicle to the road. They affect acceleration, braking, ride, traction, and cornering. I recommend getting the best tires for your driving needs and not worrying too much about looks. Aggressive looking tires are usually great in mud and on rocks, but not the best choice for driving on pavement or on snow/ice.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I liked my Goodyear Duratrac tires, they look about $30 cheaper per tire than the Nitto Trail Grapplers (looking at discount tire for prices) and they do a $60 visa card when you purchase 4.

ID Bronco

I liked my Goodyear Duratrac tires, they look about $30 cheaper per tire than the Nitto Trail Grapplers (looking at discount tire for prices) and they do a $60 visa card when you purchase 4.

Duratracs are a great alternative. I may get crucified for saying this but Walmart has an aggressive Goodyear Wrangler that is pretty cheap and has pretty good reviews. I do not own them but they are very popular in this area and for mostly road use they would probably be great for you.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I vote for the claw:
http://www.cordovantires.com/tires/Detail.aspx?lineid=101&application=SUV-LT

JetzonMudClawRadialMT_large.jpg

thenag

I am a big fan of the duratrac's, I would have them on the xj if they made them big enough. I am a goodyear fanboy so don't ask me what tire to buy.

Nathan

flexyfool

GDW
Here's my suggestion:

Tires are what connect your vehicle to the road. They affect acceleration, braking, ride, traction, and cornering. I recommend getting the best tires for your driving needs and not worrying too much about looks. Aggressive looking tires are usually great in mud and on rocks, but not the best choice for driving on pavement or on snow/ice.

X2. I've learned to hate MT's on anything that sees pavement like a daily driver, tow, or expedition. Utah hardly has any mud, and mud tires don't do any better than AT's in snow or slick rock. You might consider the ProComp Xtreme AT. The big lugs make it look more aggressive than most AT's, but they are close together and siped so the tires behave better on pavement than an MT. Your website shows the price less than the Nittos, at least for a couple sizes I checked, and $120 cash back.

Last edited:

carlojip

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Duratrac has good reviews on other forums also so I think I know now what to choose. I'm aiming for a 33x12.5 and 15" combo.

wheelewagon

X2. I've learned to hate MT's on anything that sees pavement like a daily driver, tow, or expedition. Utah hardly has any mud, and mud tires don't do any better than AT's in snow or slick rock. You might consider the ProComp Xtreme AT. The big lugs make it look more aggressive than most AT's, but they are close together and siped so the tires behave better on pavement than an MT. Your website shows the price less than the Nittos, at least for a couple sizes I checked, and $120 cash back.

So story time. I was coming home from WOTR 2013 driving my jk behind skippy in his jk. Both running 37's on 17's. I was running toyo M/T's he had Maxxis treps. We were cruising along highway 36 doing close to prob 70-75 mph when we hit A snow storm. Skippy was able to keep his exact speed without A single hiccup. I on the other hand immediately started to fish tail. I ended up having to put it in 4H and do Maybe A max of 50mph before starting to get squirly. It didn't take long at all for me to switch to treps. Treps really are the bees knees. But I'm pretty sure they don't make them in that small of A size you're looking for. I've also ran Duratrax on A tow rig I had. LOVED THEM!!! Everyone I've known to have them, including me, have never said anything bad about them. The only thing is they aren't the best rock crawling tire. But from the sounds of it you don't do much of that anyways, and the little you might do rock crawling I'm sure they'd be fine. Look at the specs on them, they really blow any other tire in this style away. They have A great look, where awesome, are quite, have awesome tow rating, and are one of the few tires that actually have an extreme snow rating. Look them up on youtube and you'll see tons of rigs back country snow playing with them and having no probs getting around. Get the duratrax, DO IT!!! You'll have zero regrets

sixstringsteve

So story time. I was coming home from WOTR 2013 driving my jk behind skippy in his jk. Both running 37's on 17's. I was running toyo M/T's he had Maxxis treps. We were cruising along highway 36 doing close to prob 70-75 mph when we hit A snow storm. Skippy was able to keep his exact speed without A single hiccup. I on the other hand immediately started to fish tail. I ended up having to put it in 4H and do Maybe A max of 50mph before starting to get squirly. It didn't take long at all for me to switch to treps.

Great feedback, thanks. The treps seem like an incredible tire.

05rubicon

I had to get new tires for the winter as my Nitto Terra Grapplers do great in the summer but suck on snow. My tire guy suggested Kelly safari TSR's. They have been great they are quiet and perform well in snow. I just ran devils race track and fix it pass in the san rafael swell aired down to 12psi and they did great love the tires. not sure if they come in the size you want I run 265 75 16's they are not expensive as well.