Need newbie towing advice (trailer, trailer brakes, etc.)

Kirk

I started out with a 16 ft, then went to an 18 ft - both have 3500 lb axles. We still have the 18 ft one (we built both of these) I would get 5200 lb axles and a 18 foot one if I only wanted to haul a jeep - and I would try to use 16" wheels so I could use E rated pickup tires (235/85/16 I think) - I don't care for trailer tires.... The last one we bought is a bubba's 22 ft with 7500 lb axles I think - 8 lug hubs. Dove tail, built in ramps that stand up when not using, and feet on the bottom so the front of the trailer doesn't lift up when driving on them - I really like the ramps that I don't have to put away.

We always end up needing just a little more deck than we have - so i would get a little longer than you think you need - if you can store it. (I wish the 22 ft one was a 24 ft one)

leorn

reset
My buddy has a really light trailer that I can move by hand, but is stout enough to haul my 6000 lb skid steer. When I'm pulling with the Yukon, I love that thing. I have pulled heavier, and a light trailer would be pretty high on my list.
x2 on attached ramps of some sort with feet. Obviously make sure it has trailer brakes, that is the one thing I would change about my buddies.

FWIW I have pulled as light as a cherokee and have my diesel registered for 34000 and use all of that regularly.

A few things I've learned towing and when I was trained to drive a big rig:
Your brakes can fail if you overuse them. What I mean by that is you will want to use your transmission to brake. I was taught to use the same gear going down a hill that you use going up. If hold you brakes long enough they can even cause a fire. I have stopped halfway down hills for a half hour because my brakes were too hot and I didn't want to lose them. It was my fault for not gearing down.
Don't stress if other drivers are in a hurry. Your job is to keep everybody alive. Better to have mad people than dead people. Lots of drivers have no clue what a vehicle with a trailer can and can't do, so just ignore them and stay safe.
Get your tongue weight correct. I assume you know this and proper tie downs, if not do a bit of study there.