Colorado Need recommendations for a pavement-only Colorado trip.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Looking to set up a 1-week summer trip in Colorado with my wife. I'll be towing a 26' travel trailer and would like to move no more than once so no more than two campsites for the week. I'm looking for places with scenic day trips that are not off-roading (the wife hates it), hook-ups would be nice but not required since I can make about 4 days before I have to dump and refill tanks, and with enough elevation to get out of the heat. Since I'm dragging the camper with me, the ability to reserve a site is a must. If a longer day trip would be easier with an overnight I could possibly convince the wife to spend a night in the tent if the excursion warranted it.

Thanks

-frieed

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Head to the San Juans in SW Colorado, for sure. There's an RV park in Ouray that's walking distance to the hot springs pool and downtown Ouray... you could make a drive over to Silverton, Durango, Telluride, etc. I'd just stay in Ouray and drive different places each day, very doable. Red Mountain Pass, the Million Dollar Highway... epic pavement drives with so much scenery it'll blow your mind! Talk about a great place to escape the Summer heat!

The downside is there will be a good bit of people in Ouray mid-Summer, it's quite a tourist town. If you want a quieter, neat town I'd recommend Dolores. You are still within a days drive to all the places mentioned above and Hwy 145 between Dolores and Telluride is EPIC driving.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
x3 on what Greg said. The family and I spent the 4th of July in Ouray - one of my best vacations, ever!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Kind of settling on Ridgway State park, about 10 miles north of Ouray. Any opinions on this specific park?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If your travels take you anywhere near Glenwood Springs make sure you take a trip up canyon to hike around the Maroon Bells

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_Bells

Yes! And if you're in/around Glenwood, check out Hanging Lake and the hot springs. I was in Glenwood today... for work. :(

Kind of settling on Ridgway State park, about 10 miles north of Ouray. Any opinions on this specific park?

Good location, massive reservoir right next to the park. It'll probably be pretty crowded, but bring a boat if you can! The highway runs right next to the park, so there will be road noise. There are usually a good deal of animals right in that area and we've fished there from the shore with a little luck, but it was plenty fun.