New bag, WM Megalite or Zpacks? Fear based decision?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think I will order my new Zpacks today. Joe offered me a little discount so I think I will go for it.

DAA

Congrats! I'm still about a month, maybe closer to two months from ordering. And still undecided beteen Zpacks and EE. Gonna be one of the two though.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Congrats! I'm still about a month, maybe closer to two months from ordering. And still undecided beteen Zpacks and EE. Gonna be one of the two though.

- DAA

well, if you hurry and decide I bet he will extend the discount for however many I buy :)

I think the EE and Zpacks seem like a toss up. I ultimately went with the Zpacks because I know the quality and what I am getting. The EE was a variable for me. I think they both seem awesome though.

sixstringsteve

I think a 20* zpacks quilt combined with a 40* quilt would make a killer winter setup, and both together would still weigh less than my 5* WM Antelope. Hm...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think a 20* zpacks quilt combined with a 40* quilt would make a killer winter setup, and both together would still weigh less than my 5* WM Antelope. Hm...

That would be an awesome set up and cover you for all seasons.

The 40 degree would be such a cool inner fill bag too for bags with too much space in them.

DAA

So Davy is a good influence. My decision is made, order is in. Done.

Zpacks 30*, Extra Long/Wide. About 18 oz. That's me baby!

Probably won't use it until my Salt Creek trip, unless I'm able to pull off a short Grand Gulch backpack before then (maybe, just maybe...). Looking very forward to it though!

- DAA

sixstringsteve

Dave, I hope you don't mind me continuing this great thread, I think it applies.

I'm driving myself insane trying to decide what system is going to work for me. I even made this brain-numbing spreadsheet to compare the bags I'm interested in:

Sleeping Bag Comparison

I love my WM bags, and while light weight is important, it's only important if I sleep well. I don't think I could do a hoodless bag in the winter, but I do think I could do one in the summer, provided it zipped all the way to the bottom to open up when it gets hot.

Here's what I'd like:

- a 30-35* bag or quilt for summer
- a 10-15* bag for cold nights in the spring and fall, and mild winter. honestly, this bag will probably get more use than a 30* bag for me since I sleep so cold. I'm pretty sure I want a hood for this bag.
- a -10 to 0* setup for cold winter trips (I only do one or two of these a year, and weight isn't a big issue here)

I think I could get by with two bags, then combine them for super cold winter stuff.

DAA

Continue!

I know what you mean about going insane. I'm generally pretty decisive. But I was driving myself absolutely crazy going back and forth on this. I'm at peace now, that I've made a decision and acted on it.

But I won't know how well it's really going to work for quite awhile. I don't see much oppportunity for backpacking with a 30* zippered quilt for a few more months... My Salt Creek trip isn't until May 1, but I'm thinking about trying to get in a shorter Grand Gulch trip before then. Grand Gulch in April might be a good road test for the new 30* Zpacks.

- DAA

I always test a new sleep setup in my yard - especially for cold weather. That way I can always walk in the house if it isn't working out. I think I'll go with my boy on the Klondike campout this weekend and have a little fun Winter camping! I'm going to test augmenting my sleep system with some fleece and down clothing.

ozzy702

I've been eyeballing the z-packs bags for awhile now and this thread hasn't helped shy me away. I'm 5'5" ~ 165lbs and pretty average temp when it comes to sleeping compared to friends I've camped with. I have a marmot Helium 15 degree women's bag (around 7-10 degrees mens) that I use when it's cold and a Kelty Cosmic Down 20, size short, bag for warmer weather. For a cheap bag the Kelty has worked great, I just want to cut weight and free up some space in my pack and a quality bag will do both.

Since most of my outdoors camping is during 3-season weather where at most it's freezing at night I'm leaning towards the 30 degree Z-packs in a medium or long length and wide width (I don't think I can fit in the narrow size, my shoulders and chest are too large but wish I could try both widths out just to be sure).

My dilemma is do I go with medium or long length and do I go 20 or 30 degree bag? A medium length 30 degree is 15.4oz and the 20 degree long is 19.8oz so not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things but I've become a bit of a gram weenie (not full blown bpl nut job though) and am doing my best to keep my pack weight down. Thoughts?

Edit: I'm leaning towards the 20 degree bag and the long just to give me a little more versatility for spring and fall use at high altitudes.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think that's a good choice, but I sleep cold so i always lean towards the wamer bag. I'm 5'6" and when I tried Davy's long it came up to my eyeballs. I felt like I wouldn't want anything shorter or it'd struggle to come up to my neck.