New daily driver thoughts...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So, I've been on the lookout for something "fun" for a new daily. I've been driving my F350 the whole time we've been building the house. 11 mpg isn't that bad if you're only going 15ish miles each way. I get almost 2 weeks of just strictly commuting. ANY other runs to the hardware store or similar diminishes my ability to get to work.

I've been looking for another G8 or late model GTO but haven't run across anything that really stoked my fire. I did make the mistake a couple months ago of driving a manual trans 5.0 2017 Mustang. That's a WAY fun car. As my luck goes, that car was the best priced one I've found at $25k and 55k miles. I'm not in a hurry to buy but it'd be fun to have something fun again.

I've always wanted 60's muscle cars but they don't really compare in HVAC and fit/finish and frankly performance (with exceptions). Styling of the 60-70's cars is 1000% better than newer stuff in my opinion (what's the deal with new GM products just looking like ass? I wouldn't want to pay for anything on their lot. Awesome powertrains but UGLY in my opinion). Has anyone dynomatted, added weatherstripping and Vintage Air to an older ride with "modern" results?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
An old car will never compare to a modern car unless you have a LOT of money to toss at it. There will always be compromises and hangups. Technology has come a long way in the 50+ years when it comes to cars, in every aspect.

I like the look of the newer Camaro's, actually... they do resemble the original IMO.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The worst are all the dodge cars. Man they are brutally bad looking.

This may not be your thing, but I like sleeper cars. What about like an SHO taurus. There are plenty of reasonably priced performance parts for that ecoboost. I bet you could build a 4-500hp optioned out sleeper taurus that would still get 20+ mpg

mbryson

Supporting Member
An old car will never compare to a modern car unless you have a LOT of money to toss at it. There will always be compromises and hangups. Technology has come a long way in the 50+ years when it comes to cars, in every aspect.

I like the look of the newer Camaro's, actually... they do resemble the original IMO.

1623246576996.png

Awesome look......

1623246671020.png

Looks like a squished Hot Wheels car that the roof got driven over to me. Can't beat the powertrains available. They'd be awesome

mbryson

Supporting Member
I did just learn of the later model SHO cars. They are AWD and have a 3.5L Ecoboost..... Definitely something I'd like to look hard at. The manual trans was WAY fun though and I'd lean towards that pretty hard vs an automatic.

I do like the Challenger look although it's SO close to the original, it's kind of getting long in the tooth to me. Depends on the day for the Charger
The worst are all the dodge cars. Man they are brutally bad looking.

This may not be your thing, but I like sleeper cars. What about like an SHO taurus. There are plenty of reasonably priced performance parts for that ecoboost. I bet you could build a 4-500hp optioned out sleeper taurus that would still get 20+

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
When you say "fun" and "daily" that means a new(er) car IMO. There are a lot of fun, older cars out there that would make a terrible daily and if they need work at all that takes the fun right out of it for me. I obviously work on all my own stuff but when I have to fix a daily it really pisses me off.

I'd drive a Challenger and I'd take a Mustang over an ugly Camaro.

xjtony

Greg hit it on the head about older cars. I drive my 73 Power Wagon as a daily most of the time and its a carb truck no AC or anything. There are options though to make an older car much more drivable. The 79 Chinook that my wife and her sister take for a road trip every year now has simple EFI in the form of a Holley sniper setup. Completely changed the way the thing operates. it went from 8 mpg on the carb to 13 mpg with the EFI. Its been my goal to make it perform as much like a newer car as possible. With the simple EFI setups, over drive, vintage air its definitely possible to do with some $$$ and work. The benefit is that once you put in the work you have something that in my opinion is way cooler than a modern car. That being said those 04-06 GTOs are really awesome cars too.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Marc: what if you found a '70s car (for example, maybe an F-Body) with a manual transmission and factory A/C? Could that be an interesting DD for you?

YES! If you know of something like that, shoot me what you have. I'd be very interested to learn about it. I've about bought a basket case '69 Chevelle twice now. Realistically on a "build" you're out there 1-2 years for something drivable and for a basket case like the Chevelle I've looked at, it's 3-4 years for a "build". It'd be a bad ass ride when done and be worth it. I'm ok with the 1-2 years but am hesitant on the 3-4 year build. I've even looked at a couple G-Body (a 4 speed, big block Chev swapped '84 Monte for one and an '85 GN with swapped in intercooler and such for another) and had @kmboren eliminate an '89 Formula 350 'chicken (in all of it's 240 HP glory) in St George. I'll need to get him some bacon for his troubles in my behalf :D

I'm just looking for a driver quality, "fun" ride for nice days and the summer commutes. Car show or car "event" here and there. Some work on whatever I buy is fine, but a full on "basket case" is losing it's luster pretty bad and steering me towards a late model 5,0L, stick shift Mustang pretty hard.

Last edited:

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I've always wanted 60's muscle cars but they don't really compare in HVAC and fit/finish and frankly performance (with exceptions). Styling of the 60-70's cars is 1000% better than newer stuff in my opinion (what's the deal with new GM products just looking like ass? I wouldn't want to pay for anything on their lot. Awesome powertrains but UGLY in my opinion). Has anyone dynomatted, added weatherstripping and Vintage Air to an older ride with "modern" results?

A - Sometimes I think we might be related.

B - My brain can't understand what's going on with the current GM lineup either.

C - I dynomatted, weatherstripped and added vintage air to my Bronco. I'd say that it's far better than original, but... not on par with a modern rig by any means in regards to being well sealed. It's not like Bronco's were ever known for that anyhow.. LOL. The vintage air system is pretty good though. At the end of the day I could not care less, because it's so much fun to drive that I never give a second thought to those sort of "old car nuances". I just chalk it up to "character". :cool:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
If I were looking for a new, fun DD it would have to be the Hyundai Veloster N. Just a fantastically fun car all around. There is a reason why it was Road and Track's 2020 Performance Car of the Year. They are a bit small, but if you're looking at Mustangs, these have a bigger interior.

HYUNDAI-Veloster-N-6220_37.jpg

If you need more room, probably a Kia Stinger GT2. AWD, 360hp, killer looks, and just solid performance. One of the most fun family sedans on the market right now. This is high on the list as a replacement for my Kizashi in a year or two.

12909_2018_Kia_Stinger_GT2_RWD.jpg

The Genesis G70 is the Stinger's stable mate, but is more luxurious and you can get it with a proper manual transmission. I haven't driven one, but I hear good things.

2019-Genesis-G70-Sedan-2.0T-Advanced-4dr-Rear-wheel-Drive-Photo-1.png

I feel like in any discussion of a fun DD, you would be remiss not to consider the Honda Civic SI. The new '22 model returns to a more understated body, which I'm glad of. I'll be interested to drive one, but so far the reviews are great.
2022-honda-civic-si-renderings.jpg

But if you insist on being a dullard and buying an American car (hencho en Mexico/Construit au Canada), I second Cody and say a late model Taurus SHO. :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
One other thing and I’m not sure if this bugs some folks or not? Maybe just my knuckle dragging V8 ness? I HATE front drive cars. Torque steer totally sucks to deal with.
I've got a '12 challenger six speed rt I'd let you test drive Marc. I've had it a few month and have enjoyed it a lot.

Can’t turn that down. Let’s go beat on that a bit?

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't know if it's standard but it's got a posi or something in back so you can "lay down double stripes like a man." As my buddy that I bought it from put it.

I wasn't really looking for something like this when it fell into my lap but now that I've had it a bit I could totally see myself buying a newer one down the road.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I don't know if it's standard but it's got a posi or something in back so you can "lay down double stripes like a man." As my buddy that I bought it from out it.

Do you still have my phone number? I’ve got some time on Friday evening. If you’re taking your lady out for the evening we can certainly find a different time. I should be available most of Saturday as well. Hit me about availability

JeeperG

I think you need to think about most of its intended use, any commuter vehicle is just gonna get run into the ground right? I am all for a cheapish, reliable vehicles that not one person on the road will ever notice you. I finally sold off my stock XJ last year at around 250K miles on it cause the previous year I got a newer used 2011 Kia Sorento, it has been pretty reliable, gives me AWD if I need, I can tow small loads, has 3rd row for tiny people, gets okayish mpg with the V6, when traffic isn't an issue I have about a 12 minute commute, it is also my only running vehicle. My brother on the other hand has at least 7 vehicles between him and his wife, he daily drove a 96 cavalier for just over 20 years, retired it at I think 437,000 miles, then his father in law gave him another cavalier to replace that one, he still mostly commutes the old cavalier. He has a factory ordered 16 challenger T/A with probably less than 1,000 miles on it, when I drove dads coupe Sunday it was sitting at just over 5,000 miles and it was finished 17 years ago, the Duramax just does truck things so spends a lot of time in garages.

If you got money to restomod an old muscle car with modern creature comforts you got money to also buy a modern muscle car with it, I would never drive something like either of those daily. I have always pictured you zipping around in a fast miata with your hair blowing in the wind....wait. :)