New Fuel Economy Standards

Margarita

I recently saw a report about the new federal fuel economy standards that I think could change the future of the Wrangler. The new standards will require that the manufactures drastically increase the fuel mileage of their vehicles by 2011. These news standards will apply to all vehicles, including full-size trucks that were previously unaffected by fuel economy standards.

The new standards are based on the wheelbase of the vehicle. Shorter wheelbase vehicles will have higher standards and longer wheelbase vehicles will have lower standards. One report I saw claimed that the Wrangler (short wheelbase) will be one of the most affected vehicles. According to this report the 2011 Wrangler (short wheelbase) will be required to have a fuel economy rating of approximately 28 miles per gallon. The 2006 Wranglers (short wheelbase) receive between 19-21 miles per gallon. Although I could not find fuel economy data for the 2007 Wranglers, I am sure that the V6 will give the Wrangler modest gains.

Meeting the new standards will require that Jeep make major changes to the Wrangler's power plant. However, because the Unlimited Wrangler has longer wheelbase it will have lower fuel economy standards. Will Jeep invest millions into developing a new engine for the Wrangler? Could the 2011 Wrangler feature a V6 or V8 with selective cylinder deactivation? Will Jeep discontinue the short wheelbase Wrangler and focus on the Unlimited? In light of these new standards, what is the future of the short wheel base Wrangler.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I saw something on the news about that also. My guess is they go to the CRD (diesel engine in the liberty) if they have to increase gas milage with current technology. I bet the Wrangler with the diesel would get close to 30mpg.

Other ideas would be just an unlimited version available because standards were based on wheelbase. (longer the wheelbase the lower the economy) I think the pictures of the next wrangler version attempt to have some aerodynamics better than a brick with the raked grill which may help also.

Houndoc

I bet the new standards are met pretty easily. In recent years auto makers have talked about having the technology but not using it in the large SUVs (burbs etc) since it would ad something like $300-500 to the cost of the vehicle (who really cares on a $45,000 vehicle anyway??)

When push comes to shove, technology comes up pretty quickly.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I think that its about time the Feds started clamping down on CAFE standards

The technology is there to increase fuel standards, how ever it will probably increase the cost of new vehicles. I think that the standards that have to be implemented in 2011 are not strict enough. However it is a start, and a much needed start

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
It is time for the Auto makers to be responsible for an increse in fuel economy. We cannot complain for one red second about the demise of a pig of a vehicle. There are enough jeeps out there that will be grandfathered into these new standards that you wont have to worry about getting a good wheeler...EVER!!

I want a full sized SUV that gets 30mpg and that I can breathe the exhaust from. That is not too much to ask.

kobyhud

Lurker
well its a bit much to breathe the exhaust if we are talking about combustion here.. There just isn't enough oxygen. But your point is well taken.