New garage ideas.

great scott

I just picked up an additional 1/4 acre next to my home. Taken me 12 years to get it, but it is now mine :cool:. The plan is to park my toys and build a wrok shop, then give the wife the old garge to park in. My question is what to do as far as the shop gose? As of now I am looking at going with 32' wide by 40' deep stick built on a monolific pad, with one large door to fit the motor home and one smaller to fit every thing but the motor home. It will probly have 16' walls, posibly a lift and a small loft/office area.
So what worked, or did not work for you? What do you wish you had, or had not done?

Erik d_lux

If you want to park toys, a motor home, office area I am going to say 32x40 will be way too small.

Right now I have a 25x40 that has a cut up toyota with its parts, my buggy (doesent take up much room and a extended cab long bed Dodge in it. All that with my fair amount of tools and I am just barely able to work on the Toyota and the Dodge. Mostly because my buggy is so small. I cant even get around the Dodge in the front of back, I have to have the garage door open just to work on it.

14' ceilings are nice. I would go at least 12' but not sure 14 was necessary. Three 12x12 doors are pimp for mine. The advice I got to go with the widest door was very wise advice.

All in all I am very happy with my shop. I just wish it were a 30x40 or bigger

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Whatever you do... when you build it, put in tons of light. That's all I can really say. Any shop is better than no shop at all.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
New Shop huh Scott? That is cool.

Three things I would recommend,
#1 Epoxy the floor. it is SO nice to just wipe up spills...
#1a put a drain and water source in too, so with the epoxy floor a little tide, a push broom and squeege you have a clean shop again.
#2 When running the power, don't forget 220 in MULTIPLE locations, it is a pain in the butt to do later and you can't have enough 110 outlets. I have 110 down both walls about 3 feet up.
#2a with the 220 it is nice to have a quite room for the compessor, 110 compressor are for sissies. :D
#3 Insulate, i always seem to be working on things in January and it is nice to be warm. ;)

great scott

New Shop huh Scott? That is cool.

Three things I would recommend,
#1 Epoxy the floor. it is SO nice to just wipe up spills...
#1a put a drain and water source in too, so with the epoxy floor a little tide, a push broom and squeege you have a clean shop again.

I am having issies here as if I have drain it needs a sump ans sumps are not cheap.

#2 When running the power, don't forget 220 in MULTIPLE locations, it is a pain in the butt to do later and you can't have enough 110 outlets. I have 110 down both walls about 3 feet up.
#2a with the 220 it is nice to have a quite room for the compessor, 110 compressor are for sissies. :D
#3 Insulate, i always seem to be working on things in January and it is nice to be warm. ;)

Good advise, thanks.

tj1230

Glad to hear that your getting your shop. Make sure that you put enough 220 plugs around the shop. If you do a ton of welding, you can put in a track system. I have seen it. The cart so to speak, sits on a track system that locks, all you do is unplug it, and slide it to your next destination around the shop. Just a thought, prolly ranting. Oh well. Maybe just an alarm or some kind of security deterent.

Caleb

More doors. You'll never say "man I wish that door was just a wall"
Yeah you will. I know even in my last house where I had the man door, I always wished it was just wall. So when I was building my current house, I specifically requested no man door. The doors need to be planned right, just having a door to have a door become annoying and a waste of space (and cost).

jsudar

Try to plan your shelving/cabinets/storage ahead of time. That way the extra doors won't get in the way. I don't know how much equipment you have, but it all takes up lots of wall space if you don't want it sitting in the middle of the floor. My garage has the walls lined completely solid with equipment (yeah, it's only a 2 car), but even the 60 x 100 shop at work is lacking wall space.

By the time you get a compressor, grinders, work bench, blasting cabinet, tool boxes and a welder and plasma, your wall space will be gone. Figure out what equipment you have and will have in the future and that will give you an idea of what you need.

And just like everyone above said: lots of lights, 110 and 220 outlets. Skylights are not a bad idea either. We have them in a lot of buildings at work. We don't even need to turn the lights on in the shop during the day. Get a heater too.

Corban_White

I also would like to know this... and grinder sparks...

I build a long workbench and topped it off with some old wood doors. they dont hold up to grinder sparks and welding very well. I might throw some sheetmetal on top...

This will protect it from the sparks, but if you weld much on top of it the wood will light on fire under the metal.

rollover

For a basic shop put water and elect outlets at side of the doors. A wash sink for hands is nice. Most guys don't think about using the shop at night with the door up. Make sure your lights cover well when the doors are up. Sky lights are nice but almost always leak over time.

Just some ideas.

What are your thinking as far as wood vs metal?

tj1230

I don't know how long you plan on working in your garage in a day's time, but just a thought. Your rebuilding a motor and you've got oil grease and whatever else that 350 had in it, on you. It's kinda hard to run up to the house when nature calls, and using mama's decrative towels is just out. I guess what I am saying is maybe a shop bathroom.