new tires for the truck

mr_blove

ask me if I care
Ok I am looking at getting new tires for my '05 2500 Ram, I don't go off road to much but would still like a semi agressive tire esp. for winter driving. I had BFG mud terrains on my jeep and loved them, so naturally I was thinking of BFG AT for my truck however a guy I work with used to work at a tire joint and said they suck, take ALOT of tire weights to balance, and cause alot of road noise, he reccomended Nitto Terra Grappler AT. The Nitto's are cheaper but I don't know anything about them. What are your opinion/experiance with these 2 tires?

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I've been selling tires for a little while, I've had great luck with the Pro Comp Extreme A/T, great traction, great ride, real quiet, and a 40,000 mile tread life warranty, reasonable price.

I like the nitto terra grapplers, but not as much. They are a very mild A/T.

I have also had some good reviews on the General Grabber AT2, average cost and a 60,000 mile tread life warranty.

Give me a call at 4wheelparts if you want pricing,

801-954-8826 ask for Bear

05rubicon

I run the Nitto's on my Jeep in the summer they are great tires and run quiet and cool. I like the BFG's off road but not highway had them on my truck for a while. I too have heard good things about the Generals also some freinds like the Cooper's have not run either I may try a pair of Cooper Discovery's for a replacemnt of my Goodyear MTR's for winter. Hope it helps

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The only guy I've known that ran the Nittos got about 20K out of them on his Duramax. I've had great luck with the Toyo MTs (E-rated) and have about 10K on some Goodyear Silent Armors (AT) and they seem to be showing some good results. They've got a 50K warranty.

rholbrook

I have ran the Toyo, Nittos and BFGs all in the last 3 years. The easiest to balance were the BFGs, the hardest were the Nittos. They were 325x22s so they are hard to balance anyway being that big. I got 50K miles out of the Toyos which is great, the Nittos and BFGs I never had them on long enough to see how many miles they were getting. I would probably go with the Nittos again because the prices are better.

Houndoc

when I was looking for tires for my Ram, I also heard poor reviews of BFG A/Ts in that application. I went with Cooper Discoverer ATRs and have been very happy with them thus far (put them on last fall.)

They did well in snow, including while hauling the horses.

spencevans

Overlander
I have run the BFG's and they're a pretty good tire but they need to rotated every 3K miles. Personally I think the Toyo's are better for your application. The Toyo's will last alot longer because they are a harder rubber where as the BFG's and Pro Comps are much softer.

I myself, am waiting for the new dot rater DOT rated General Competion Tires. I can't wait. It's the middle one.:D

tires.jpg

LT.

I run the BFG all terrains on my dually and had to think about what I have put them through. Here is a run down of what they have done for me. I have logged just over 26,000 miles on them. Had no less than 10 dyno pulls, only a few drag races, hauled heavy loads more than 3/4 of the miles on them, I've had two different suspensions on them and a heavy foot. I think they will last 35,000 before they need to be replaced. I also bought them in November of 2007. Not really a lot of miles but, they have been through their share of abuse.

The Toyo's I had had 56,000 miles on them but, they were on a little Ford Escape. I have not yet run Nitto's and I probably won't either. I don't care for the look of them.

LT.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I myself, am waiting for the new dot rater DOT rated General Competion Tires. I can't wait. It's the middle one.:D

Spence, they are already out. We have some in stock at 4wheelparts, we are the only ones that have the Red Lettering style like the comps right now too.

spencevans

Overlander
Spence, they are already out. We have some in stock at 4wheelparts, we are the only ones that have the Red Lettering style like the comps right now too.

I may be stoppin by tomorrow, I was just told summer told they would be out this summer so I figured end of June or July at the soonest. Does 4wheelparts ever run specials on tires?

Last edited:

mr_blove

ask me if I care
Well it looks like experiances are all over not all really bad or all really good. Guess I will go with the BFgoodrich cause thats what I like.