New Tow Rig

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Im kinda being a post whore here but oh well lol mine is an auto with 120k on it with the p-pump swap, 250 horse injectors twin turboed,fully billet trans and all the goodies it also has leather and heated seats..... here is a pic

truck2.jpg

toyota rockhead

ya my fuel psi gauge reads about 29 usually I dont know how accurate it is but the truck had the lift pumps on it when i bought it. Would it be a good idea to take one of them off? I dont know much about these trucks im a Toyota guy so this is all kinda new to me haha. Your truck looks good man i like it! would you be interested in selling your trans?

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
you can try taking one off i would reccomend an airdog or raptor lift pump they are a little sepndy but when you VP takes a crap thats an 800 dollar fix so the money is very justified if you ask me or run down to the parts store and pick up a cheap fuel presure regulator but then the problem is when one pump takes a crap the other is still not going to be able to suck through the other one so your still stuck on the side of the road i have never seen someone run 2 lift pumps before

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
no im selling the trans with the truck I will help you build yours though when your ready Most people on here know all about rock crawlers and what not not me I know cummins trucks like crazy lol and dont know crap about crawling lol

toyota rockhead

haha i see what you mean. maybe ill have take one of the lift pumps off or maybe i could just have you take a look at it and see what you think. thanks for the info tho its always helpful to get a little input when you don't know much about something. That would be sweet if you could give me a hand once im ready to build mine tho im sure i could use the help.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Bryson
Alright sweet ill have to check and see what it says on the wastegate. How big of injectors did you go with on yours? I have to the edge juice with the hot unlock on there already. Would i need to do injectors to keep up with that turbo? I might have to take you up on checking out your swap.

I am running the same chip (minus the hot-unlock,) and 110 horse injectors. I think they are a bit too much fuel for that turbo, but it works. Kinda smokey (or really smokey if I turn up the Juice and lug it.) I'd be a bit leary of running something as large as 150 horse injectors with that turbo if my 110's seem like too much... I have seen people run bigger injectors, but I can't see how it would be manageable. I am not certain, but I think you should have enough fuel for the new turbo with just the chip and stock injectors, but if I was doing it again, I think I'd run a set of Bosch RV injectors (about 75 hp over stock) to match up well with that turbo.
I just checked on that turbo to see what it is and it says HE351cw is there a difference between the HE351xx and the turbo that i have?
You have the right one. I just added the x's because I wasn't sure if there was different suffixes on the part number. Mine is a HE351CW as well. The only important thing is that it is a 351 versus the 341.

toyota rockhead

Sweet i'm glad its the right one! So with that turbo and my chip i have now with no injectors it would basically just spool up a little quicker and maybe run a little cooler on the exhaust temp right? and of course push more boost. Ive heard of people doing like an injector nozzle that gives you around 50 horse is there anything wrong with a injector nozzle? 50 more horse might be just about right with that turbo. If it was your truck would you put that turbo on without an injector?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
you can get nozzles all the way to 250 horse they are a greta bang for the buck you have to get the pop tested after you install the nozzle on the injector body its really cheap to do a set of 75 horse nozzles runs you about 200 bucks and pop testing them runs about 40 for the set i reccomend GOFF diesel injection here in salt lake he knows his stuff and has the best deals and he is really cool to deal with

VANDALL

the only 2 weak points on these trucks are the tranny and injector pump

WRONG!

SO WHAT ABOUT THE

- 53 BLOCK IT COULD HAVE?
- THE KILLER DOWEL PIN?
- THE BLOW BY TUBE THAT DUMPS OIL INTO THE RAD. AND STOPS AIR FLOW
- TRACK BAR THAT WEARS OUT FAST
- THE BAD WHEEL BEARING THAT ALSO GO OUT PLUS WITH OVER SIZE TIRES
I COULD KEEP GOING ON AND ON . . . .

VANDALL

toyota rockhead

Im thinking if i put that turbo on ill just run a set of nozzles maybe some 75 horse ones or so. I went to the diesel drags this yesterday and i asked a guy that was running his truck what kind of fuel pressure he was running and he was telling me that it didn't matter what pressure you ran because the stock lift pump only allows so much and the rest runs back into the tank. he was saying that one of his buddies used to run 60psi on his truck.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Bryson what brand of injectors are you running
Mine are Dynomite Diesel Performance injectors.

Sweet i'm glad its the right one! So with that turbo and my chip i have now with no injectors it would basically just spool up a little quicker and maybe run a little cooler on the exhaust temp right? and of course push more boost...
That is the theory...

I wouldn't run nozzles... If you want something in the 75 horse range, Goff sells factory Bosch RV injectors for like $66 each. It's a bit more than a set of nozzles, but this way you get all new parts, and you don't have to pillage your stock injectors.

I don't think you'd have any problems running this turbo with stock injectors, as long as you have the extra fuel from your chip. I do think it would run better with a mild set of sticks though.:)

As far as fuel pressure, I don't think I'd be comfortable with the "it doesn't matter how much pressure" idea... Keep it no higher than 20psi, and no lower than 12psi during any running conditions, and your VP44 will llive a long and happy life.:)

Vandall is right about some of the problems that could be found on the truck... I strongly suggest reading up on the "53" block, killer dowel pin, and the other listed issues. There are retro-fit fixes and easy upgrades for most of the problems. The only one you can't readily fix or upgrade is the 53 block (fixing that one means replacing the engine block,) but don't worry too much if you have a 53 block... many trucks that have it, never have any problems at all.

Read up on www.dieselbombers.com, www.dieseltruckresource.com, cumminsforum.com, competitiondiesel.com, etc... There are tons of diesel forums with tons of great info...

Last edited:

VANDALL

BRYSON IS RIGHT!

THE VP44 IS A GOOD PUMP, ITS NOT THE BEST PUMP FOR THE MOST POWER LIKE A P7100 PUMP BUT IF YOU WANT IT TO LAST RUN NO MORE THEN 20 P.S.I. NO LESS THE 10 P.S.I. BECAUSE THE FUEL IS WHAT KEEPS THE PUMP FROM OVER HEATING AND LUBE'S IT KEEP THE FUEL FILTER CLEAN I HAVE ALWAYS DO MINE EVERY OIL CHANGE WHICH IS 3000 MILES SO JUST DO THIS AND YOU WILL BE JUST FINE

VANDALL

toyota rockhead

What pump are you running on yours bryson? Im thinking ill take one of my lift pumps off and see what kind of pressure im getting with just the one lift pump. some people recommend just running a holley fuel pump like a holley blue. g&r told me i neede a fass system on there. I would still like to come check out your set up on your truck and see how it runs with that turbo on there.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I have an AirDog II on it. I had a setup similar to the Holley pump, and I wouldn't recommend it. The AirDog/FASS route is designed for diesels, where the Holley isn't. Fuel is important enough that I didn't want something mickey-moused together.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
WRONG!

SO WHAT ABOUT THE

- 53 BLOCK IT COULD HAVE?
- THE KILLER DOWEL PIN?
- THE BLOW BY TUBE THAT DUMPS OIL INTO THE RAD. AND STOPS AIR FLOW
- TRACK BAR THAT WEARS OUT FAST
- THE BAD WHEEL BEARING THAT ALSO GO OUT PLUS WITH OVER SIZE TIRES
I COULD KEEP GOING ON AND ON . . . .

VANDALL

first of all 24 valves dont have the KDP the track bars do wear out but its a 15 minute fix and buy a moog one with lifetime warranty no big deal the puke bottle is a nuisance but not a weak point by any means an easy fix for that is a commonrail tappet cover they have a breather built in to them the 24valves dont I have never heard of wheel bearing issues with these trucks and between my truck and the 3 others in our family none of us have had issues and they stopped the production of the 53 block in early 2001 so the chances of that are very very slim ...wheel bearings and track bars are wearable items you have to replace front end parts on any vehicle you buy

VANDALL

first of all 24 valves dont have the KDP the track bars do wear out but its a 15 minute fix and buy a moog one with lifetime warranty no big deal the puke bottle is a nuisance but not a weak point by any means an easy fix for that is a commonrail tappet cover they have a breather built in to them the 24valves dont I have never heard of wheel bearing issues with these trucks and between my truck and the 3 others in our family none of us have had issues and they stopped the production of the 53 block in early 2001 so the chances of that are very very slim ...wheel bearings and track bars are wearable items you have to replace front end parts on any vehicle you buy

all im going to say is i have three diff 24v engine's 1999 in a truck a 2000 in my shop on a stand and a 2001 in my wife's truck and all of them have k.d.p. problem i have fixed them all so dont give me that HORSE SH!T . . . . . BUT THINK WHAT YOU WANT ON THIS AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF AS WELL . . . . . :)

OH PM ME WHEN YOUR TIMING COVER BREAKS IN HALF OR YOUR CAM GEAR SNAP'S OFF!!!!!!!! :)

VANDALL

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
all im going to say is i have three diff 24v engine's 1999 in a truck a 2000 in my shop on a stand and a 2001 in my wife's truck and all of them have k.d.p. problem i have fixed them all so dont give me that HORSE SH!T . . . . . BUT THINK WHAT YOU WANT ON THIS AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF AS WELL . . . . . :)

OH PM ME WHEN YOUR TIMING COVER BREAKS IN HALF OR YOUR CAM GEAR SNAP'S OFF!!!!!!!! :)

VANDALL
Wow man your getting a little out of control over nothing geez. When I did my p pump swap my 24 valve timing cover has a cast hump over where the KDP slides out the 12 valve cover is open and allows the pin to fall into the timing case Ill post a pic tomorrow so everybody can see where the 24 valves fixed the issue if you were fixing a KDP on a 24 valve I wanna see the pics of where you did it.