No doors on Utah roads.

tv_larsen

This has come up many times, but I'm not sure if everyone is aware that the state has "re-clarified" the law on doors in the latest state safety inspection manual.

It used to read something like "Reject if door parts are missing, broken or sagging to the extent that the door cannot be opened or closed properly." My inspector passed my Ramcharger with no doors based on approval from the help line phone number in the inspection manual.

Now the manual reads "Reject if doors or door parts are missing, broken or sagging to the extent that the door cannot be opened or closed properly." My inspector called the help number again and was told that all vehicles need "stock type" doors with "stock type" functionality. I also had him ask about tube doors, they said they don't count. There also appears to be no exception in the manual for Jeeps, but I'm sure that could be easily argued.

I had to put some doors on to pass inspection this year.:-\

Last edited:

troutbum

cubi-kill
I was told had to be factory removable doors to run without them...my response was...they must be removable I removed them...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I did a quick glance of the actual state laws & statutes doesn't appear to have anything either way. So just as with beadlocks, it is up to the "interpretation" of the law by the UHP and inspection stations. IF you were to ever receive a ticket for having no doors (doubtful IMHO), they you could most likely fight it...

SAMI got pulled over by a UHP code enforcement guy, he got him on tires, flaps, tiny mirrors (on tube doors) and I don't think he said anything about the doors. I think he even measured the frame height?

I've safety'd my Crusier sans doors several times, never been an issue My mirror mounts to the drivers side tub, and Cruiser doors were always very removable, just as a jeep.

Dart

Banned
I was told by a state trooper that If I have my doors off of my Jeep I need to have a driver side mirror to be legal to operate it on state roads. So it sounds like to me that the inspection and stae laws are diffrent. I want to see what the stae code book has to say.

Houndoc

I was told by a state trooper that If I have my doors off of my Jeep I need to have a driver side mirror to be legal to operate it on state roads. .

That would make sense to me that you would be required to have mirrors with or without the doors.

Clutch

I have been told, and I do have non-factory removable doors on my Toy Truck, that only factory removable doors, such as jeep style vehicles, are the only ones exempt. I won't risk getting a ticket or give them the chance to pull me over by driving with them off. I don't want to ever give a reason to be pulled over. My 2

tv_larsen

I've safety'd my Crusier sans doors several times, never been an issue

My Ramcharger (a vehicle with clearly non-removeable doors) has passed the safety inspection every time for the past 3 years without doors. I have always had a 4" mirror mounted to roll cage on the driver's side. I have never recieved a ticket or a warning for no doors.

The problem is, the state has recently modified the inspection manual to clearly make the lack of doors a reason for rejection. Why has it been specifiacally changed if the actual law is non-specific about the same issue?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
..... Why has it been specifiacally changed if the actual law is non-specific about the same issue?

Because the guy writing the book supports SUWA...-_-

Luckily the UHP didn't measure the frame height as i'm 1-2"s over with the 37's. He nit-picked about the rear bumper not being 4" in verticle coverage, the mirrors being only 2", instead of the legal 4", and of course the no fender flare issue... all warnings though, with no word about tube doors. I'd think a guy who'll fuss about a rear bumper not being 4"s of coverage would mention something about the lack of factory doors, if it were important enough to be in the books.

As far as the mirrors go, i've always understood it that you have to have atleast the driver's side mirror. the passenger side is not required... that's what i've always been told by those inspecting... take it for what it's worth.

-Jason

reddman

Fabber
:D mine is street legal now that I moved out of Utah :p

Too bad there's not much wheelin round here. :(

Attachments

• side shot.jpg
    side shot.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 132 on rocker knocker.jpg
    132 on rocker knocker.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 6

wr250

insert lame comment
doors must close, open and latch correctly. they cannot be missing,damaged or altered to the point where the door does not open/close and latch as per oem;this is per the safety inspection manual.
that said i will pass a cutout door as long as it opens/closes and latches as like an oem.
like so:
halfdoor3.jpg

you could even cut it to 1" all the way around the door perimeter, as long as the door opens,closes, and latches like a OEM. or even a tube door i can pass, as long as it opens,closes, and latches like a OEM door.
the reason is the oem latches are "safety latches" that wont open in a accident,causing more injury to the driver/passenger.

mirrors you must have 2 of. one must be on the drivers side.

all that said, state inspection laws are a joke. if they really saved lives/property then the insurance companies would be all over all the states/fed govt to make inspections mandatory. in all states, not just the small handful that have inspection laws.
seems more like a reason to stop/ticket people; a revenue generator.note the UHP cruisers dont comply with the inspection manual.the cop will point to the exempt plates and say "i dont need to pass inspection".

Last edited:

diablokicks

doors must close, open and latch correctly. they cannot be missing,damaged or altered to the point where the door does not open/close and latch as per oem;

Well i guess if you take your doors off their not missing, their just not installed :D

Meat_

Banned
...As far as the mirrors go, i've always understood it that you have to have atleast the driver's side mirror. the passenger side is not required... that's what i've always been told by those inspecting... take it for what it's worth.

-Jason

You have to have the drivers and another one, can be center or passenger side.

Broncolldude

so i halfed the doors on my BII a while ago i now have mirrors mounted on both fenders and the doors open and close and latch with the oem latch but do i need door handles?

788924148fullpb0.jpg

-this is not my truck, it is a guys from a bronco fourm but i cut my doors just like his

Last edited:

wr250

insert lame comment
so i halfed the doors on my BII a while ago i now have mirrors mounted on both fenders and the doors open and close and latch with the oem latch but do i need door handles?

788924148fullpb0.jpg

the door need to open, close and latch in a oem fashion. how you do that is up to you.
heres my "door handle"
halfdoorlatch.jpg

ZUKEYPR

I just showed this entire thread to a Sergeant of the Utah Highway Patrol eho juts happens to be in my office today for training. he agreed with me hands down that first, do not confuse safety inspections with highway laws, they are separate entities. Second that law law is clear and concise when it comes to doors. If they are removed you must have a driver's side mirror only. He continued to say it's not a bad interpretation of the law by some LEO's, but instead a lack of knowledge and going off total assumption. I also asked directly "so doors can be removed from any vehicle, not just Jeeps?" he stated yes, you can remove the doors of a Jetta if you want as long as you have a drivers side mirror.