Now presenting "Rock Taco"!! Its just a toyota.....

Well I found myself bored and decided to post up a build thread of sorts on my truck.

Maybe its a way to motivate myself to get this thing done. As of late I have found it hard to build up the motivation to get it done. I have even thought about selling it and getting out of wheeling altogether. Then I realize where I now live and have not really done any off roading here at all and think of all of the things I would be missing out on. This has been one of those projects that have just lingered on to long. There have been a number of factors that have contributed. Some are legit other not so much... Anyways here it goes.

I bought this truck with only 17000 miles on it. It is the closest thing to new I have ever bought.

I will have to dig out some hard copies of pics before any modifications to add in here.

ADD PHOTO

This is after my first modifications. A revtek spacer, add a leaf, and 32" BFG all terains. It was alot of fun. and I drove it this way for a while on lots of trips through out California and Nevada. You can see see I should have mad another addition prior to a prevoius trip than this but we live and learn. This was just the first of more to come. Cool easy trail with lots of history. http://goo.gl/maps/WH2HH

99.jpg

It served its purpose as a daily driver/weekend warrior for a few years until I figured I could hang with the go fast crowd. So we decided to go play at Sand Mountain in Nevada. http://goo.gl/maps/hb3gp

roll.jpg

It was totally driver error... :sick:

After the 3rd or 4th time over (I lost count) this is how it landed. Don't worry don't worry no one was hurt! It had 3 of the 4 tires blown off the bead but was still running! After turning it off and making sure all were uninjured (except my pride) We proceeded to pick up the yard sale and figure out what to do to get it back to California. All of us had driven out so no trailer or trucks to pull it with. After pushing the roof back up, airing the tires back up and a short drive back around to the front side where we camped it was decided it was still road worthy. So we jumped on the road to make the 4 hours back to the Rocklin, CA.

roll2.jpg

It drove great! We had to keep stopping to add air to the tires because we had failed to get all of the sand out of the beads of the tires. Oh and it was raining and snowing since it was late Oct over the Sierra Nevada Mtns. We just turned the stereo up and drove. Well until we had to add air to the tires again.

So as I said before this was my daily driver so you can imagine the looks I got when I drove this to work the next couple of days! That is until I could find something else to drive in what was supposed to be the short term. Well since I was still making payments on it I couldn't just afford to go out and buy something else at the moment. Plus I was even sure what to do with this. I called my insurance company the next day ( I don't remember who I had at the time) and told them what had happened and they told me that I was not covered because I was not on a "road" well that made my decision easier. I had to keep my short term transportation a little longer and rebuild it! "We can rebuild him. We have the technology!" (some of you old guys like me will get that one) :D

It sat for awhile while I was looking for some new sheet metal on the cheap.

ADD PHOTO

After I had located new sheet metal and cut up the old and sold for scrap I started collecting parts. There was no way I was gonna rebuild this back to the way it was before! Here is my pile of parts!

Trek115.jpg

This wasn't everything but it was enough to get started. I got a few more things ordered and loaded it up to have Bent-Up do the solid axle swap on it.

Mine002.jpg

Mine004.jpg

Rock Taco

If you have any leftover parts it just means you put it back together better than original

I should be set then because I have some parts from the two different cabs.

We need to have a work party over there and bust it out in a couple days. What's left to do?

I need to redo my brake lines
Get new drivelines made
Finish the ARB lines
Have the exhaust re done
Install the Battery under the bed
Finish welding some of the rear bumper, which involves removing the bed
Mount the coil over reservoirs.
Wire the speed sensor for the transfer case.
Drop the Atlas to make sure the shifters are set up correctly.
Install the dash and re connect wiring
install seats and center console
install lap belts.
Check all fluids and start

There might be more. Ill add to this list if I think of more and I will cross items off as I get them done.

A work party would be sweet but without it being able to start and drive It makes my small garage pretty tight. Anymore than 2-3 people is pretty crowded.

Last edited: