Odyssey or Optima

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My Commando has been getting some motor upgrades and is now finally ready for a test run. I had a red top optima in it before but swiped it for another rig I was fixing up to sell. My Scrambler and my son's Comanche have Odysseys in them. They have all worked fine but these Jeeps don't see much of the road in the winter as they are allergic to salt. They end up sitting for long periods between charges. Which of the two do you think can better handle the long periods between starts ?

Agility Customs

Vendor
My Commando has been getting some motor upgrades and is now finally ready for a test run. I had a red top optima in it before but swiped it for another rig I was fixing up to sell. My Scrambler and my son's Comanche have Odysseys in them. They have all worked fine but these Jeeps don't see much of the road in the winter as they are allergic to salt. They end up sitting for long periods between charges. Which of the two do you think can better handle the long periods between starts ?

Odysseys with a battery tender all winter is a winning combo.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'd agree with Skippy about the Odyssey and a tender, but either is probably fine with a tender.

The other important thing is that during the season when you are running the Jeep, make sure the charging voltage is at or over the requirement of the battery - most of these fancy AGM style batteries have charging voltage requirements that are significantly higher than many charging systems put out. I think the Odyssey requires nearly 14.5 volts to charge properly, and it WILL die eventually if it doesn't have that.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've had a couple of Odysseys, and other than a high price, they have done me well; I use a dedicated AGM tender on it too

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'd agree with Skippy about the Odyssey and a tender, but either is probably fine with a tender.

The other important thing is that during the season when you are running the Jeep, make sure the charging voltage is at or over the requirement of the battery - most of these fancy AGM style batteries have charging voltage requirements that are significantly higher than many charging systems put out. I think the Odyssey requires nearly 14.5 volts to charge properly, and it WILL die eventually if it doesn't have that.
I'll throw my recommendation for an Odyssey in. I've had them in a couple of vehicles now and no issues. But what Mr. Bryson says is correct, find a charger that is designed for AGM batteries.

DAA

Dealing with this right now. I've always run Odyssey's in my LJ and always been happy with them. So when the factory battery died in Cindy's JL a few months ago I put an Odyssey in it too. But the charging system on the JL must not be up to it, as I have to keep a tender on that battery. Even being driven near daily. Driven almost daily, but only about two miles each way. Can't go a week before needing a jump/charge if I don't keep it topped off in between.

Going to go back to a plain old SLA for it. Which means I'll have a pretty newish Odyssey sitting here soon if someone wants to make me a reasonable offer. It's not the size/type I need for the LJ or I'd just use it myself as my current Odyssey has been in there more than long enough.

- DAA

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Dealing with this right now. I've always run Odyssey's in my LJ and always been happy with them. So when the factory battery died in Cindy's JL a few months ago I put an Odyssey in it too. But the charging system on the JL must not be up to it, as I have to keep a tender on that battery. Even being driven near daily. Driven almost daily, but only about two miles each way. Can't go a week before needing a jump/charge if I don't keep it topped off in between.

Going to go back to a plain old SLA for it. Which means I'll have a pretty newish Odyssey sitting here soon if someone wants to make me a reasonable offer. It's not the size/type I need for the LJ or I'd just use it myself as my current Odyssey has been in there more than long enough.

- DAA
Yep, most newer OEM charging systems are "smart" and will only to deliver the proper (lower) voltage to charge a standard (OEM style) SLA battery. The higher voltage requirements of the AGM batteries means they never get charged properly, and certainly never get charged fully. A DC>DC charger, or one of the little diode modules you can buy to "fool" the charging system into outputting higher voltage can be a fairly easy fix.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Basically, you replace the "alternator" fuse in your fuse box with a device that makes the system think it's output is below threshold, fooling it into outputting a higher voltage. They work because they contain a diode (or diodes) in the circuit - diodes create a slight voltage drop when current flows through them (just the nature of diodes), and that now lower voltage that is sensed on the output side of the alternator fuse is compensated for by the system in the form of a higher voltage output. A proper device will still contain a fuse, because fuses are kinda important. Clear as mud?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Here's a very simple version:

Here's a little nicer one:

I'm sure this type of device doesn't work for everything, but I'd bet there are similar solutions out there for lots of vehicles. With the right tuning software, I'll guess this could even be adjustable via the PCM/ECM on some vehicles.

DAA

I decided to just go back to an SLA for it. There's a new one sitting in the garage to go in tonight when Cindy gets home. I forgot her Jeep is an etorque and instead of an alternator it has a belt start generator. All that etorque stuff is still under an 8 year warranty and I decided to just not monkey with it. Big old group 94 SLA ought to do just fine in there.

- DAA