ohhhh im steaming mad

01XJ

Me and my wife put our application in for renting a house in provo so we can get out of our condo and be in a house well we talked to the guy yesterday and he said all is looking good just need to verify with your current rental agency that you are on good paying terms.So my wife calls this morning to ask what the status of us renting the house is and he said NO we cant rent to you because we have been informed your LDS and the owner of the house does not want LDS people or LDS money paying for that house:mad2: :mad2: so because im LDS i cant rent this place if i wasnt LDS it would have been ours and we could have been in a house and not a condo!!!What the hell is wrong with people.I hope some gang banging group moves in there partys at all hours of the night and trashes that place!!!!!!!:mad2: Sorry i had to vent because i think it is a JOKE:mad2:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
01XJ said:
Me and my wife put our application in for renting a house in provo so we can get out of our condo and be in a house well we talked to the guy yesterday and he said all is looking good just need to verify with your current rental agency that you are on good paying terms.So my wife calls this morning to ask what the status of us renting the house is and he said NO we cant rent to you because we have been informed your LDS and the owner of the house does not want LDS people or LDS money paying for that house:mad2: :mad2: so because im LDS i cant rent this place if i wasnt LDS it would have been ours and we could have been in a house and not a condo!!!What the hell is wrong with people.I hope some gang banging group moves in there partys at all hours of the night and trashes that place!!!!!!!:mad2: Sorry i had to vent because i think it is a JOKE:mad2:

Interesting. I usually hear it the other way. LDS owner doesn't want a non-LDS renter. Sucks either way, IMHO.

Good luck finding something that works for you. You can look at it as a plus, though. Someone that's that big of a pain to rent from is someone you'd not want to rent from anyway.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I was going to say turnabout is fair play. I've been denied an apartment in SLC for being non-LDS.

X2 on the well wishes though, sucks to have the sugar snatched off the cookie.

wrnchplr

free loader!!
discrimination sucks. now if you were black, Mexican or anything other then a white LDS guy you would have some rights to fight that. I hope they change there mind. good luck finding a place

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Actually what they have done is highly illegal. There is a renter's agency in town, get in contact with them and let them know what happened. Discrimination is highly illegal based on religion.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I was gonna say... MOST of the time it's the other way around. Welcome to my world. Being discriminated against for beliefs sucks doesn't it? Personally, I think it's B.S. and nobody from either side of the fence should have to deal with that. We're all human. :-\

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
spencurai said:
Actually what they have done is highly illegal. There is a renter's agency in town, get in contact with them and let them know what happened. Discrimination is highly illegal based on religion.

Yup. :)

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
Uhhmmmm, discrimination anyone? I would be talking to someone about that. Is your money a differnet color because you are LDS?

JoeT

My work fired a guy after his first week because of his looks.-_- Talk about B.S.. Owner said he looked like a homeless person.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
If I remember correctly private parties can screen out who they do or don't want even if it is discrimination. It's only buisnesses with over 5 or 6 employees that can be held liable for discrimination.

JAFO

?
JeepinJoe said:
My work fired a guy after his first week because of his looks.-_- Talk about B.S.. Owner said he looked like a homeless person.

I don’t normally chime in on these things and its kinda off topic but, if a business owner wants a professional looking staff and somebody shows up looking like a vagrant then that’s not discrimination.

JoeT

JAFO said:
I don’t normally chime in on these things and its kinda off topic but, if a business owner wants a professional looking staff and somebody shows up looking like a vagrant then that’s not discrimination.
Nothing wrong with the way he dressed, basically the owner thought he was ugly. He was a kick butt employee also, freakin broke his heart. But we did find him a anotherjob somewhere else.

01XJ

spencurai said:
We have a appointment tomorrow at 2'oclock to speak to someone about this...you know it has nothing to do with wanting money out of this it just upsets us that because of our religion we now cant rent this house.:( :sick: i guess this would answer the question of why hasnt this house been rented yet it is only about 1yr old if that and it is in a brandnew sub-division there has been all kinds of houses for rent in there and they only last a couple weeks at the most and this place continues to stay up for rent.Now i know why cause it is in provo and probably 99% of the people who wanted to rent it were also turned down because of there religion:-\ and the part that blows me away is it isnt just a private person it is thru a rental agency:eek:

toyotajunk2

I do not normally get involved in these discussions but seeing as I am in Real Estate I can put my two cents in. It sucks the owner did that, but a private owner can deny a renter for any reason he wants. There is no law stating he has to rent to anyone that comes along. If it were a apartment complex or a planned community than you have a case, but a private owner renting his house out can deny anyone for any reason. It all depends on how he is setup. It sounds like he is a private owner. I am not a legal advisor but that is how I understand the HUD Laws. Good luck though! Maybe someone can knock some sense into this guy! Let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to help you out!

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Why did you tell them you were LDS? Did you think it would help you in your application? The sad truth is that in most cases it would be to your advantage to let the landlord know. As someone that has been discriminated against in small, and some not so small cases, for not being a member of the predominant religion I cracked a little smile while reading your post.