• Somehow find a less rusty FJ-60 for around 2500 bucks

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other rig ideas, keeping in mind the below listed criteria

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I say, keep the 83 Waggy. That year is pre-tamper law, so a motor swap in the future will be a lot less of a headache and give you more options. I have always thought waggys were cool rigs.

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
I have not voted yet, I would say go with an XJ or a YJ due to the fact they are cheap to build up. There are a ton of stuff in the aftermarket world for them and they are cheap to buy. So why not a YJ same motor as the XJ but it does have a full frame?

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
Ok, I voted and I think you should do a YJ. If not a YJ then an XJ. Just make an offer to NVRSTUK he just bought an Outback and might need the money. He has done a little to his YJ.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
1BadZJ said:
I have not voted yet, I would say go with an XJ or a YJ due to the fact they are cheap to build up. There are a ton of stuff in the aftermarket world for them and they are cheap to buy. So why not a YJ same motor as the XJ but it does have a full frame?

Need to be able to tow stuff, I dont think that I would feel safe towing anything over 1000 pounds with a YJ

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
lenny said:
Need to be able to tow stuff, I dont think that I would feel safe towing anything over 1000 pounds with a YJ

you'll feel waaaaaaay safer in the XJ LOL

*sigh* XJ's are fun offroad go-carts I guess. Can't say I liked attaching crossmembers with 10mm bolts though. :eek:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Buy a slightly older, V6 TRD Tacoma and SAS it. You'd have reliability, good wheelbase, medium size, ability to tow/haul and most modern conviences.

I dunno... why do you need US to decide what vehicle you want to wheel?

MattL

I agree with Greg if you have some money to throw around. I was going to do that but a damn taco will cost you 8-12 grand on one that is decent, imho.

Id say buy and older toy and be done with it.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
Greg said:
Buy a slightly older, V6 TRD Tacoma and SAS it. You'd have reliability, good wheelbase, medium size, ability to tow/haul and most modern conviences.

I dunno... why do you need US to decide what vehicle you want to wheel?

I would love a Tacoma, but it is out of my price range.

I don't need to guys to decide for me, rather to give me ideas as to what you think are good options

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
lenny said:
You would tow in Xj but not a YJ, Why? If thats a issue you need to stay with the Waggy.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
lenny said:
I would love a Tacoma, but it is out of my price range.

I don't need to guys to decide for me, rather to give me ideas as to what you think are good options

I think it would be cool to get a Tacoma that got hit in the rear, ditch the bed for a flatbed and shorten the wheelbase a bit.

Buy a rebuilder Taco, perhaps something that got hit in the back so there's less work for ya. I bet you'd be amazed at how cheap they can be bought. If it's a wheelin' rig and you're just going to abuse it offroad, there's nothing wrong with a salvaged title. If you have the ricer to drive daily, then you could spend the time on getting the work done and making the Taco a capable, reliable and safe rig.