One more try...

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Reading Greg and Caleb's ride report pissed me off enough that I went and did what I should have done a month ago. I bought a ready to go bike.

After getting frustrated with the bulk of the XR650R, I sold it about a month back. It never got used, because I never found the time or motivation to get it street ready and it just wasn't a great riding buddy for my quads.

So, today I found this gem on KSL and snatched it up.

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

It's a 2000 Suzuki DRZ400K, which is the kick start version of the DRZ400E. It weighs in at a scant 248 pounds dry! The previous owner has taken care of all the little preventative fix-its. It is fully street legal and came with a 4 gallon tank and a Giant Loop rear saddle bag. I figure the range should be 150-200 miles on a fill up if the riding isn't too slow and gnarly.

So NEXT RIDE I'M IN! Yee ha!

Jared

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Congrats Jared! I bet that thing feels a lot more maneuverable than the XR650R!

With all these new dual-sports popping up, I suppose we better plan another big ride pretty soon here. :cool:

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Congrats Jared! I bet that thing feels a lot more maneuverable than the XR650R!

Thanks! It really does feel like a lot less bike. It's 40 lbs lighter and the suspension is adjusted a bit lower than the XR was. I don't know if the rake is different or what, but tossing the bars side to side actually feels more sluggish than the XR did... almost like there a damper or something. But the bike itself is much easier to toss around.

But, oh how I miss that torque! Also, a new seat needs to be in my future. I figure my butt has about a 40 minute limit with the current foam.

Jareed

Caleb

It's 40 lbs lighter and the suspension is adjusted a bit lower than the XR was.

40 lbs doesn't sound like much but it's amazing how much of a difference it makes.

Congrats on the new bike. It looks like we've got quite the crew on here with bikes now. We definitely need to get something planned. :D

Caleb

Nope, go online to rockymountainatv.com and get the Tusk kit. Two friends just installed them and they are great kits, especially for the price.
Personally, I'd go with the BD kit (I did :D). Yes, it's more money but the components are also nicer and the support you can get (if needed) from BD is top notch.

Corban_White

I may head up Farmington Canyon tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Dang you! Should have texted me and I would have brought the bike to work.

Personally, I'd go with the BD kit (I did :D). Yes, it's more money but the components are also nicer and the support you can get (if needed) from BD is top notch.

I just installed the tusk kit on a co-workers bike and the quality is pretty dang good. The instructions were good and the install was very easy. :D

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
You should drive over the hill to Cache Valley one of these days... Lots and lots of single track in these here hills :greg:

That would be great to have you show me around. I can't get my crew in Logan to tell me anything about trails, or lakes, or restaurants, etc. up there. Apparently everything except Highway 91 is a local secret and they don't want us "city folk" up there ruining everything with our million dollar motorhomes and loud music!

Jared

rholbrook

Went up Farmington Canyon last night. Got rained on a little but the trail was so over grown that we got drenched from all the water on the trees. Then we got to the radar towers and it was sooo cold. I was not dressed for it plus I was soaked. Still a fun ride but winter is coming. My friend was on his maiden voyage with a Revlock Dyna ring. He called me yesterday morning and I walked him through the 15 minute install. He's a convert now.

Greg, put a Revlock on the WR250 and let your wife have at it. It would be the absolute best way to make her enjoy that bike.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Went up Farmington Canyon last night. Got rained on a little but the trail was so over grown that we got drenched from all the water on the trees. Then we got to the radar towers and it was sooo cold. I was not dressed for it plus I was soaked. Still a fun ride but winter is coming. My friend was on his maiden voyage with a Revlock Dyna ring. He called me yesterday morning and I walked him through the 15 minute install. He's a convert now.

Greg, put a Revlock on the WR250 and let your wife have at it. It would be the absolute best way to make her enjoy that bike.

:cool: Sounds like a fun ride! I always pack a light jacket, something is way better than nothing when it starts to rain!

I don't want to put too much money into the WR250F yet, I kind of have a plan... we may be selling Catherine's TTR 250 in the spring, as well as the WR250F and if we can swing is, exchange those 2 bikes for a newer WR250R. That way we'll have a newer, reliable, street legal & street friendly bike that she can ride when we go out together and I can ride when I want some technical trail action. :cool:

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
So, I went for a ride around the neighborhood in the dark last night. I found that my Polisport aftermarket headlight SUCKS!!! I could see reflective objects such as signs, but could barely make out the roadway. It wasn't even fully dark out.

There is NO WAY I could use this light to navigate a trail or dirt road at night. At least other people can see me I suppose.

Are all enduro headlights just totally worthless? This light gets good reviews. All of my ATV lights put this thing right to shame.

Jared