Paria River Canyon Closure Protest

Don B

formerly rebarguy
The word is out that the GSENM is planning on closing the Paria River road possibly by the first part of this week.

We are starting up a grassroots effort and having a protest on May 9th to let the BLM know that we are not happy with them closing down our historic county roads.

We want everyone there that cares about public lands, not just motorized recreation but everyone that uses or depends on public lands for recreation or their livelyhood.

If you haven't seen this trail, this may be your last chance. We will drive the road they intend to close unless they are able to have the closure in place and rangers there to turn people back in which case we will drive the Cottonwood Canyon Road as an alternate.

I'll post up the more details within the next day or two as soon as we have everything finalized

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
WOW... I can say I am very glad that I have been able to run this.. one of the best trips ever for me. Post up the details I will see what I can do to Protest

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
From Tri State ATV club

Club Members,
To all lovers of The Paria River, those who have ridden it and those who
would like to ride it. Now is the time to stand up and be COUNTED .
This coming week the BLM has plans to formally announce its closure.
Shawna Cox is putting a final ride together as a protest. It may be that the
BLM will turn the ride back, but the trip to Kanab would be well worth it to
show our feelings.
Lets get PASSIONATE over this one. Please don't look to your neighbor to
take care of this one. If your funeral is next Sat that is a good excuse. As for
me, I will be in Kansas City -almost my funeral- so I will not be there,
however, I will be working as hard as I can to get the word out to all those
who love the Paria as much as I do.
Lets make this another Factory Butte and do all we can to save the PARIA
RIVER. They are going to meet at the Stampin’ Up Establishment 5 miles
east of Kanab near the mouth of Johnson’s Canyon at 9:00 a.m.
There will be copies of the petition at the ride for you to sign and copies of it
for you to take back to your area to have people sign and return them to
Shawna Cox.
Two dates to put on your calendar are Saturday May 9 2009, 9:00 a.m. and
Aug 8 2009 more details to come. All of you, and all you know, who love the
land and the great outdoors need to be to both of them.
JayVar

Pauly

WOW, what a beautiful place this is. one of the longest slot canyons in the world (Buckskin Gultch) runs into the Paria, (12 mi.) The amount of history that surounds this place is unreal. This deserves special attention.

e28bimmer

Paria Road Closure RALLY - UPDATE

So there is already a thread on this, but I wanted to bump this a bit so that its importance is understood... Rarely in Utah do you get any officials that are prepared to stand up to the BLM and the State and Federal Governments. Kane County is stepping up, their Commisioners will be out at this ride. They have put together documentation and are trying to keep this land public.... How do you think it looks if you arent willing to make a few hours drive to make a difference??

Dear GRE Members:

So I was just contacted by the Kane County Commission regarding a closure that the BLM is planning.
I’ve attached the pertinent documentation which tells most of the story, but if you don’t want to read it, here’s the skinny.

The GSENM BLM would like to close the road to the Paria town site. This is a 6.8 mile stretch of road that runs from the highway to the Paria town site, past the graveyard and out to the old mine diggings and houses.
The road is well used, and last time we were down there we saw quite a few Ford Focus, Honda Accords and the like, driving the road, mostly to photo, picnic and explore the area.

Paria has been around since before 1900, and so has the road. So it’s quite a slap in the face to try and close it.
Also at stake are the cemetery, and the buildings out in the mine camp. All of Paria has washed away, but on the eastern side of the river are 2 impressive structures, the stonework alone is amazing. So if these roads are closed, so is access to the cemetery and the buildings. We all know what happens at that point.
Vandals have already burned the reconstructed movie site, what do you think they will do when they find a cemetery out in the middle of nowhere. No rangers are going to hike in. And the buildings?? If the BLM closes this road they might as well bulldoze the cemetery and the buildings. This closure is not just about a road, its about your access to a historical area!!

Anyway, I digress, Kane County is disputing this road closure in court and the BLM has been ordered not to take any action. However, they have decided they will bow to the environmentalist groups and try to close this road anyway.

County Commissioner Mark Habbeshaw will be out on Saturday to ride the road, shoulder to shoulder with his constituents. You need to be there!!
We all have chores and other duties, but if this gets closed we lose it forever, your chores and birthday parties can wait. YOU NEED TO SHOW UP AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT.
We will be driving the road and showing the BLM that the off road and historical preservation community is just as aggressive as the Environmentalist movement and we deserve to be heard.

GRE has worked with the GSENM BLM recently and found them to all be very rational and fair individuals. I firmly believe that they just need to see a show of support and they will abandon this cause. That means YOU NEED TO SHOW UP!!

DETAILS:
SATURDAY, May 9th, 2009
9:00 AM Sharp at the Stampin Up Facility (looks like an old wild west town with false fronts) 5 miles East of Kanab near the mouth of Johnson’s Canyon. EMAIL IF YOU NEED MORE DIRECTIONS!!

Every Man, Woman and Child is Needed.
Saturday May 9th at 9:00 A.M. at the old “Stampin Up” Building
East of Kanab
Bring your 4x4’s, Jeeps, 4-wheelers & Rhino’s ready to ride the
Paria Canyon road.
Please bring lots of signs, water, your lunch and Video Cameras
The Media will be there and so will your Friends and Neighbors
“We the People” must stop the Federal Government from closing
down all our roads and doubling the size of the Monument!
WE MUST STAND UNITED!

GRE will be in town Friday evening, we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Cheap, clean rooms!! If anyone wants to ride down with us, I should have room for 2. As an FYI, the GRE Rover is undergoing some body modifications in preparation for this year’s Safari, so we will be in a well marked Acura, and we will run the trail in the Acura just to show how well maintained the road is.

Attachments

• Citizens's Petittion 001.jpg
    Citizens's Petittion 001.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Kane County Commission.doc
    91 KB · Views: 4
  • Paria Canyon Road - Letter to Selma Sierra 3-17-08.doc
    104.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Thanks Corey, we'll see you there

It's my understanding though that the road closure will be the road from the old townsite north to the Skutumpah road. This is also a fairly easy road except it has about a gazillion water crossings. This is an historic county road that was actually the first road into that area. You can find names engraved in the rocks from people that traveled there in the nineteenth century.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I left a message for Shawna regarding what us northerners can do to help. I'd be willing to help form a petition or letter writing campaign. This is a very neat trail and I'd hate to see it gone.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Kane County Online Petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/paria/petition.html

Atv Utah link for the hard copy to print for you personal Signature.

http://www.atvutah.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241392927

Anyone going to Little Sahara memorial day etc... Please get a hard copy and get em around up there. Talk about signatures lets get it rollin. You can get Shawna Cox's address and mail them to her when they are filled out.

Pedal bikes are also restricted, get them on the band wagon. Lets make and impression on signatures. As the governor said let's get passionate about this. Lets get this on every board in the Nation and get those signatures rollin in.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
How Can You Help TODAY?

Put your name on the petition. It doesn't end with the petition, rather it starts. But we need YOU to start today by adding your name to the petition. This can be done one of two ways. To add your name to the online petition, please click here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/paria/petition.html

Or, if you would rather print a petition, get as many supporters as you can to sign it and mail it in. Visit this site and print the existing petition:
http://www.atvutah.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...num=1241392927

For those that want to mail your petitions, please mail them to:
Shawna Cox
1969 South Highway 89A
Kanab, UT 84741

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An obvious repeat of information here on RME but I just spoke with Shawna and got here mailing address for the printed petitions.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Patty,

There is nothing allegedly about my article. I wrote this a few months before the GSENM was official which was 2 years and 7 months after President Clinton made his declaration from the rim of the Grand Canyon about 9 years ago. The sign was at the entrance to the Paria River streambed next to the Cottonwood Road bridge over the Paria River. I have the original print and negative of the photo I took of the sign. It seems as though no BLM official had recollection of any sign there but believe me it did exist. Piaria River stream bed was a traditional motorized route for over a hundred years that the residents still use today. The sign disappeared a few months after I took the photo, allegedly taken by SUWA members that lived in Escalante at the time. There is a reason the locals are upset and going forward with this protest led by Mark and that this is just one instance we have proof that a federal agency has lied to the public. Or should I say employees of that agency with their own agenda have.

In dedicating the GSENM President Clinton declared that this National Monument, larger than any other, would remain open for traditional uses and this is one of those uses the agency in charge has overstepped their authority in many of our eyes.

Todd

> From: phenetz@sltrib.com
> To: TODDGADAMS@msn.com
> Subject: Mark Habbeshaw and your trip report
> Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 15:36:48 -0600
>
> Mr. Adams:
>
> As you probably know, Kane County Commissioner Mark Habbeshaw is
> circulating a GSENM trip report you allegedly wrote, which includes a
> photo of a vintage BLM sign that says the Paria River streambed is
> open to motorized travel. You seem to imply you saw this sign while on
> that trip -- is that how it happened?
>
> I replied to the commissioner's email but haven't gotten a response,
> so I thought I'd ask you: When did you see this sign? Where was it? Do
> you know if it's still there? The BLM says it's not. If it's not, what
> is its purpose in your trip report? Did you know the commissioner is
> circulating this?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
>
> Patty Henetz
> Public Lands, Energy & Environment writer
> The Salt Lake Tribune
> 801-257-8789
> phenetz@sltrib.com
>

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Patty and I have exchanged a few emails about her article as well today. She seems determined to think that sign was planted by one of the local elected officials.
I invited her to come out for NPLD, We'll see if she takes me up on it.

Hi Patty.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Patty and I have exchanged a few emails about her article as well today. She seems determined to think that sign was planted by one of the local elected officials.
I invited her to come out for NPLD, We'll see if she takes me up on it.

Hi Patty.
Here is a cropped photo I took June 1999

Attachments

• paria.jpg
    paria.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 18