Pellet Smokers; Dumping the Traeger

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I know there are quite a few pellet smoker owners on here, looking for some opinions. I've owned a Traeger for years, but it's not always been reliable. Not long after I bought it the Hot Rod burned out and had to be replaced.... then recently the temp controller died and I had to replace that, too. It's been pretty disappointing to be in the middle of a long smoke (pork shoulder) and have your smoker just quit working.

It's my understanding that Traeger used to build their smokers in UT and they were reliable back then. Once they started getting real popular and in order to save money, they started using cheaper Chinese components that just don't last over time. Considering how much a new Traeger costs these days, it's frustrating to have an expensive yet still unreliable smoker.

I'm looking for something that's well built, quality construction & components, reliable and hopefully built with quality parts. I'd like it big enough to fit a good sized Turkey, have a good sized pellet hopper and around $1000. It would be nice to have a proper ash cleanout tray, Wifi probes, etc.

I'm looking at Pit Boss, Recteq, Green Mountian Grills and Camp Chef.

Greg

Admin
Reading reviews and info, I'm liking the CampChef Woodwind CL, they have a 24" ($600) or 36" ($900).

The_Lobbster

Traeger used to be built in Oregon, once they sold out they moved to China.

Allegedly…..they are trying to move mfg back into the states.

My recommendation would be Camp Chef (based in Utah, I believe made in China) or GMG. Everybody I know that has either of those brands has liked them.

I too have a traeger, and once it dies, I plan on one of the two brands I mentioned.

Greg

Admin
Traeger used to be built in Oregon, once they sold out they moved to China.

Allegedly…..they are trying to move mfg back into the states.

My recommendation would be Camp Chef (based in Utah, I believe made in China) or GMG. Everybody I know that has either of those brands has liked them.

I too have a traeger, and once it dies, I plan on one of the two brands I mentioned.

Ahh, I heard they started in UT.... either way, outsourcing construction & components has taken a toll on Traeger quality and I'm over it.

I've been looking at both GMG & Camp Chef, leaning towards Camp Chef at this point.

@nnnnnate has a Yoder. I think those are the bees knees if you want one that will last. They're pricey, but from what I understand they're worth it.

I looked at Yoder, they're built in the USA which I love... but damn they're expensive!

drumer212005

I ditched the pellet smoker about 7 years ago because I always had problems out of the hot rod in my traeger. Never found a solution to the issue other than just continually replacing parts. i would interested in in knowing if anyone ever found a reliable solution to this issue. I went to BGE, no more electronics to fail. I loved the large so much I bought a mini max for tailgates and smaller cooks.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have a camp chef 24 been really happy and mostly problem free. Only issue I’ve had/having the knob to adjust temp seems to be going out or dirty on the electronic contact. Temp just jumps around randomly when trying to set, hasn’t bothered me enough to replace or even try and clean 😂.

Got the 24 because it basically just me I’m cooking for most of the time. But I can fit the biggest pork shoulder I can find on it, 3 tri tips, and about 12 salmon fillets if I recall. I’ve been very pleased with it.

When I visit my mother she makes me operate hers which is a traeger, and I much prefer my camp chef.

RockChucker

I have a Traeger 22 series that I moved up to the in-laws' cabin when I got a free (broken) Yoder YS640 from @Diesel_Zuk last winter-ish. Haven't had too many issues with the Traeger. Main issues have been it choking on pellets that I buy in a group buy with folks at work. Pretty sure it is made in China, but the Yoder has been super sweet. All it needed to fix it was a new igniter. The old one had shorted out, so I picked up the upgraded ceramic one and it has been flawless. I don't think I'd have one if I didn't get it for basically free though. They are so expensive as has been mentioned. The Yoder drive mechanism is more than capable of handling the pellets I run now.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've had my Traeger about a year and a half, and so far my only complaint is that to use the wifi connection you gotta download their app and let the thing phone home. I hate that, so I don't use it.

Other than that no problems (yet).

The_Lobbster

I have a Traeger 22 series that I moved up to the in-laws' cabin when I got a free (broken) Yoder YS640 from @Diesel_Zuk last winter-ish. Haven't had too many issues with the Traeger. Main issues have been it choking on pellets that I buy in a group buy with folks at work. Pretty sure it is made in China, but the Yoder has been super sweet. All it needed to fix it was a new igniter. The old one had shorted out, so I picked up the upgraded ceramic one and it has been flawless. I don't think I'd have one if I didn't get it for basically free though. They are so expensive as has been mentioned. The Yoder drive mechanism is more than capable of handling the pellets I run now.
That’s awesome you got it fixed! I never messed with it and am kinda kicking myself for it, but at the same time I’m glad it’s getting good use out of it!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Also have a Camp Chef for about 4 years. Only issue I’ve had was my own fault. We left the ash dump closed last winter and the moisture collected in the bottom and swelled up the pellets in the auger. We turned it on in early spring and it snapped the gears in the auger motor. It was $27 for the new motor and it was here next day.

I’d still buy another Camp Chef, just leave the ash clean out open when it’s not being used, so the moisture can drain out. We do cover the smoker for winter, but last winter there was a massive amount of moisture.

Tonkaman

I must be lucky. I’ve had a traeger for about 7 years and have hundreds of hours in it. I’ve never had 1 single issue.

When it comes time to replace I’ll likely upgrade to a Yoder. If you’ve ever got your hands on a Yoder in person you can see where all that money goes. Everything is heavier duty and built to last.

The_Lobbster

I must be lucky. I’ve had a traeger for about 7 years and have hundreds of hours in it. I’ve never had 1 single issue.

When it comes time to replace I’ll likely upgrade to a Yoder. If you’ve ever got your hands on a Yoder in person you can see where all that money goes. Everything is heavier duty and built to last.
The one I gave to RockChucker had a main barrel made of 3/16” I think.

It weighs 330 pounds per yoders website!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I started with a camp chef and was happy with it. The computer board messed up and gave a temp probe error and would not run. Some how (I don't remember) I figured out if I shorted the two probe wires together during the start up it would work. So I wired in a momentary switch that I would press when I turned it on. Kept the switch pressed for about 30 seconds and then it ran grate. I know, crazy.
Then my wife brought home a Traeger one day out of the blue so I gave the camp chef away. There's something stupid about having to vacuum out the ash.

DAA

I use the crap out of my Traeger. Think I've only had it three years? Maybe four? But it has been used at least twice a week the whole time and not uncommonly four times a week. Temp probe croaked awhile ago. Other than that, no problems. It does not like some brands of pellets though. I only run the Traeger stuff from Costco and no problems with them.

Even as much as I use mine, I only bother to vacuum the ash about twice a year. When it starts failing to ignite, it's time to clean it. But I've found it can go quite a long time before that happens.

All that said, it is kind of cheapish. And I'd love a Yoder. For as much as I use it, I might even be able to justify the price, when my Traeger finally poops the bed.

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Yoder doesn’t have an easy ash clean out. You have to take the grates out and vacuum it. I don’t do that very often. I don’t use it a ton but it’s awesome when I do use it. I tricked Carl and Dave into helping me get it moved onto my deck when I first bought it. It’s crazy heavy.

To me, it’s a buy for life type thing. My boys are getting better about eating real food so I expect my smoker use will increase in time.

I’m tempted to buy the pizza add on for it but it’s $500.