Pet Peeve about trailers

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I know the State has in the vehicle code that trailers UNDER 750 pounds aren't required to have a license plate. I get it. I see it all the time. I also see lots of bigger trailers without plates. And of course, my second pet peeve is about the lighting on the trailers... But that's another thread. So. Friday headed for SLC from Tooele, I spy this...

But at least the lights worked...

So, imagine my surprise to see the trailer being towed...

By a UHP truck... SO I wonder, if this is an OFFICIAL trailer, or is it part of an investigation? Theft recovery? ????

As an aside, a few miles east of the 201 overpass, I wasn't that far ahead of this truck. I saw a car go around him and then blast past me... Only to be chased down by the UHP truck pulling that trailer. I laughed pretty hard as I went by them....

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My car hauler hasn't been licensed in the 25 years I've been dragging it around. I've even had some interaction with UHP in my travels, with a Jeep on it, and the issue was never brought up.

On the flip side, I do license my large enclosed. That one is just begging for a ticket if I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world that licenses a carhauler. I do it because if I didn't I would probably be pulled over and the trailer and Jeep would be impounded on the way to Moab. That's the type of luck I have

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Ive been pulled over multiple times while dragging my car hauler. I've been questioned about it not being registered, but never ticketed.

Toad

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world that licenses a carhauler. I do it because if I didn't I would probably be pulled over and the trailer and Jeep would be impounded on the way to Moab. That's the type of luck I have

My car hauler is registered. In Idaho. 10 year registration is like 40 bucks. :)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My car hauler is licensed and insured at maximum coverage available... $50 a year is peace of mind
In my opinion: not insuring or plating your trailer is foolish.
Try making an insurance claim if something happened to you or your load while towing.
Ask me if it was a good idea to skip theft coverage on my last trailer...

blznnp

Mine is registered. Although the plate is off right now due to mounting screws puncturing tire. But it is registered. I don't have insurance for it though since I was told if it's attached to my truck then my insurance will cover it. But that was a different insurance company and different state than now. I get a little peeved about bigger trailers not being registered. I get more irritated when I see a vehicle with no plates and I can't tell if they have a temporary or not since their windows are tinted so dark.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I think it is an official UHP trailer, based on the black wheels with center caps. Not a common item on trailers.
Kind of what I thought too. But it was funny as all get out watching that rig zip past me and after that speeding Audi... Wonder how he mentioned that to his buddies...

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Mine is registered. Although the plate is off right now due to mounting screws puncturing tire. But it is registered. I don't have insurance for it though since I was told if it's attached to my truck then my insurance will cover it. But that was a different insurance company and different state than now. I get a little peeved about bigger trailers not being registered. I get more irritated when I see a vehicle with no plates and I can't tell if they have a temporary or not since their windows are tinted so dark.

you are covered if the trailer does damage to someone, but it does not cover damage or theft to your trailer

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I register my trailer as I would also be the one to have it impounded with my crawler the first time an officer noticed lol

My full coverage trailer insurance covers theft and items on my 2014 big tex railer, also covers fire, or natural disasters (tree falling on it ect) costs me 3.20$ a month? I would feel dumb not paying that if something happened to it.I use State Farm, almost certain most are different.

My full coverage truck insurance covered extra liability only on the trailer at no additional cost just being covered by my trucks existing insurance. Some other carriers may be different so don't just take my word for it.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I didn't know there were people outside the IRS who wanted others to pay more taxes.

I register my toy hauler begrudgingly. I think it was $170 last year, for a trailer that saw 1000 miles of towing. That's robbery. Most of that is tax for owning things I purchased with money I already paid taxes on. But I digress.
So my question is why would it piss you off that people don't register their trailer? The wear and tear on the roads for most trailers is negligible and should be covered by the extra road tax paid through increased fuel consumption on the tow vehicle.
I see trailer and ohv registration as one more tool to tax the life out of us. Maybe I'm wrong.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I don't like the law, but the law is the law. If you don't like it do something about it, in the form of working with your lawmakers. I get most upset when I see our "leaders" doing things that us common folk would get ticketed over. Clearly this trailer is over 700 pounds so it needs a plate. Just because it may be a UHP trailer should not matter. UHP still puts plates on their fleet. They should be setting the example for us. Any good cop should be a near perfect example of any they law they plan to enforce.

R

rockdog

I watched uhp write tickets to three different guys pulling boats in Scipioa couple of years ago for not having their boat trailers licensed. I had never licensed my boat trailer for twenty years. I sold that one and when I got the newer one, I was forced to license the trailer. I have never licensed my 6x12 atv trailer. I've had it for 30 years and never been hassled. I pay an outrageous amount of money each year licensing all my stuff that see's very few miles on the road. So I don't feel one bit bad about not paying use taxes on the atv trailer.:D

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I registered my car hauler 5 years ago when I built it and havent registered it since. I will however make sure my goosneck gets registered every year. Its usually on the road to an event when we realize its expired. So I usually get out my smart phone and find the website and pay for it right then while Im dragging my monstrosity of a trailer down the highway at 75mph... but hey Im not texting and my trailer is registered so your welcome :D

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I don't like the law, but the law is the law. If you don't like it do something about it, in the form of working with your lawmakers.

I wish that worked. If working with law makers to reduce taxes that are unfair and unconstitutional would actually have an impact, I would be the first one in line at the capitol.
I have emailed my representative with stats about the whip flag law at little sahara and how it is impossible to attach one to a motorcycle and the data shows no decrease in accidents since the law was created and got a great big thank you for you time, it's out of our hands in return. So I will continue my civil disobedience and pay the tickets when I get them.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It is frustrating sometimes. Just last week I sent an email to the governor about cops speeding through the construction zone on the 201. I got a semi-form letter in response by one of his helpers telling me my complaint was "noted". I asked what that means and haven't received an answer yet.
Lately I have been very disappointed with the behavior of our law enforcement.