Pet Peeve about trailers

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I didn't know there were people outside the IRS who wanted others to pay more taxes.

I register my toy hauler begrudgingly. I think it was $170 last year, for a trailer that saw 1000 miles of towing. That's robbery. Most of that is tax for owning things I purchased with money I already paid taxes on. But I digress.
So my question is why would it piss you off that people don't register their trailer? The wear and tear on the roads for most trailers is negligible and should be covered by the extra road tax paid through increased fuel consumption on the tow vehicle.
I see trailer and ohv registration as one more tool to tax the life out of us. Maybe I'm wrong.

I see no issue with having a way to track/report others who tear up trails or otherwise break the law, plus it's easier to track/find something that has been registered if it is stolen.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I watched uhp write tickets to three different guys pulling boats in Scipioa couple of years ago for not having their boat trailers licensed. I had never licensed my boat trailer for twenty years. I sold that one and when I got the newer one, I was forced to license the trailer. I have never licensed my 6x12 atv trailer. I've had it for 30 years and never been hassled. I pay an outrageous amount of money each year licensing all my stuff that see's very few miles on the road. So I don't feel one bit bad about not paying use taxes on the atv trailer.:D

Single axle boat trailers do not require registration while dual axle do require it, crazy but that's how it goes.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I don't like the law, but the law is the law. If you don't like it do something about it, in the form of working with your lawmakers. I get most upset when I see our "leaders" doing things that us common folk would get ticketed over. Clearly this trailer is over 700 pounds so it needs a plate. Just because it may be a UHP trailer should not matter. UHP still puts plates on their fleet. They should be setting the example for us. Any good cop should be a near perfect example of any they law they plan to enforce.

Benefit of the doubt here, but they may have been picking the trailer up from one of several trailer builders out there to take it back to the city and simply wasn't plated yet.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have been shopping for a boat and was told single axle didn't require it, could be mistaken though.

I just know mine had a separate title and registration for the boat and the trailer when I bought it...I didn't ask any other questions since I assumed it was correct. I'd love to not pay that every year....

R

rockdog

I have been shopping for a boat and was told single axle didn't require it, could be mistaken though.
Probably depends on how big the boat is. If it was a small one, the trailer would weigh less than 700 lbs. the boat that I bought also had a separate trailer title like Carls. No way around not registering the things. They get you for the damn boat and trailer that way! I don't know what you guys pay to license your boats, but mine is a 1989 and it is crazy expensive for something that old

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
You guys should not be registering you single axle boat trailers. Talk to the DMV about it next time.