Pet peeve of mine...yours?

Caleb

as i recall the left lane is not to be "driven" in. isn't it supposed to be used for passing only? in fact in other states drivers get ticketed for using the far left lane for anything other than passing

That's actually not correct. The state law is that you move right to left faster drivers by on the left. It doesn't say anything about not driving in the far left lane. Some states, the left lane is a passing lane only, some states it's not. Here's a pretty good list from MIT on this (they call it the "keep right law":

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

FWIW, when passing on the right there are two laws being broken, one by each party. One is passing on the right is illegal, the other is if you are being passed on the right, you are impeding traffic. Who gets the ticket depends on how the cop is feeling that day. :)

Caleb

Well Caleb I guess that makes us cousins of some sort. Nice to meet you cuz have you read Anson sr.s biography?

Nice. Not his actual biography, but I have heard a ton about him. We also have his diary that I've read through a little here and there.

'03_RUBI

I live in West Jordan and work in Park City so I spend a lot of time on the freeway. Early one morning I come up behind a girl probably early 20s going about 55 in the left lane, I wasn't in a hurry that day so I stayed behind her. After a bit she started tapping her brakes, eventually she just started slowing down, I still stayed behind her. After 5-6 miles I see a UHP officer drive up on my right and squeeze in between us and lights her up! Made my day!

mombobuggy

Nice. Not his actual biography, but I have heard a ton about him. We also have his diary that I've read through a little here and there.
That may be the one I am thinking of apparently Anson Sr was not able to read or write so every night while taking his bath one of his wives would record his daily events which were later compiled into one book he was neat man! I went to his grave last summer. And stayed the night in the old hotel that Ruell call built unfortunatly it is kind of a dive now but it was neat to imagine all the cattle barons meeting there in the bar. More of a biker bar now days from what I could see.

mombobuggy

After reading the keep it right law for oklahoma I understand a little why I got run off the road in Oklahoma doing 85 in the left lane by the m&m s Nascar semi which must have been doing 120 very scary so Greatful for four wheel disc brakes and a wide shoulder or we would have done a dale into the pit. I grew up here and did not know at the time about the law. those nascar teams run around the south from race to race like scalded dogs with what appears to be almost total immunity. They love nascar in the south!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
This will really make me some enemies.
One of my pet peeves is when people think their animals are people. I like animals and only don't have pets because I am too lazy to give them the attention the deserve. They are not people though. They are not people. Just because you are okay with your dogs scratching your car up doesn't mean I am okay with my car getting scratched by your dogs. Just because you are okay with your dogs crapping all over your yard doesn't mean I want them to crap on my yard.

zander13

When there is enough snow on the road to cover the lines and people drive down the middle of two lanes.

The tools at the gym that walk around like they have a broom stick shoved up there butt far enough to make them gag and think they are some pro body builder. I like to call them "Local Heroes". Come on dude, your arms will actually touch your sides. Oh yeah, and the grunters.

People that talk more than they listen. When someone doesn't care what you are currently saying in a conversation, but instead, are thinking of what they are going to say next and when they can interupt you.

Government employees! (and I am one, so what does that say?)

This could go on forever........

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Pet Peeve? Oh yeah I've got one...

There's a guy at work that sniffs his nose at least once every 30 seconds its usually once every 5 seconds. At the lunch table, in the office, on the production floor--it doesn't matter he's always sniffing his big boogers :ugh: It is without a doubt the most annoying thing ever. He seems completely unaware of it and I've never once in the 3 years he's worked there seen or heard of him blowing his nose into a tissue.

pet peeves..............most things that my wife does.
:eek:

done

I know the feeling! :D

STAG

On my grind
My toilet pet peeve is when someone puts ANYTHING in there and doesn't flush it. The worst offense is obviously turds but you don't get that one too often, but some of the guys at our shop (my dad included) will pee and not flush it. I had a roommate that would spit his chew-tobacco spit in it and not flush it. My mom will blow her nose w/ TP and toss it in and not flush it. That's my peeve.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I hate it when I am trying to turn right on red in a lane that allows you to go straight or make a right, and the car at the front of the line is taking up the whole lane so no one can turn! It's common courtesy people, hug the left side of the lane so other people can still turn while you're stopped.

Caleb

This will really make me some enemies.
One of my pet peeves is when people think their animals are people. I like animals and only don't have pets because I am too lazy to give them the attention the deserve. They are not people though. They are not people. Just because you are okay with your dogs scratching your car up doesn't mean I am okay with my car getting scratched by your dogs. Just because you are okay with your dogs crapping all over your yard doesn't mean I want them to crap on my yard.

oh yeah, +100! To add a bit more, just because I have my own dog that craps in MY yard, doesn't mean it's ok for your dog to crap in MY yard. Pets are not people no matter what you say, treat them like the animals they are!!! :)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Had to laugh.
Had a friend who had a dog that was "part of the family", not sure how the conversation got to this point, but I told them that the dog was lower on the food chain and if I had to I'd eat it. Haven't heard from them since.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Driving in the snow: Inevitably after a major snowstorm I hear from coworkers, or on FB that "no one around here knows how to drive in the snow." And you're the magical exception to this all encompassing rule? What makes you a member of the elite "I can drive in the snow" club?

"Passing lane": If I'm in the far left lane going 75 (in a 65), am I supposed to move over for you and get behind cars doing 60 because you're doing 85 behind me? We're both speeding, who is to say that I have to move over for you? I have driven the A7 from Hannover to Hamburg multiple times in a 3 cylinder Opel, and the A2 from Rinteln to Dortmund in a 911 at 250+km/h, I know when it is necessary to move to the right for oncoming traffic. Fact: In mild traffic, the left lane is going to be used as a standard lane of traffic to alleviate congestion.

We're all using the same roads people, get over yourself.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
With pets:

I've always wondered if it bothers people when my dog poops in your yard but I pick it up...?