pickup mileage??

Caleb

Houndoc said:
1 ton diesel to tow an 5,000 rig??? Sounds like over kill to me- sorta like a Hummer for mall speed bumps. More than what you need, but sure looks good!

sounds like you dont have much experience towing, sure that SUV or small truck thats rated for 6500 lbs will tow that 5000 lb rig and you'll swear it does it just fine, then you tow with a real rig and realize how scarry your little SUV really is. A 5000 pound rig is a pretty heavy rig, add the trailer (atleast 1500, prolly more) and you are now at or above the capacity of most anything short of a 3/4T-1T.

Bart

Houndoc said:
1 ton diesel to tow an 5,000 rig??? Sounds like over kill to me- sorta like a Hummer for mall speed bumps. More than what you need, but sure looks good!

Actually most diesel trucks are heavy 3/4 tons. Now if you think that towing at the maximum capacity of a tow rig is smart, then you kind of have a point.

But really, I thought this thread was about fuel mileage. Mileage on a diesel is better than on a gas motor. A 6 cylinder will get about the same mileage as a V8 when towing and the V8 will tow better. The diesels get the best mileage and tow the best. YMMV.

Caleb

Bart said:
Actually most diesel trucks are heavy 3/4 tons. Now if you think that towing at the maximum capacity of a tow rig is smart, then you kind of have a point.

But really, I thought this thread was about fuel mileage. Mileage on a diesel is better than on a gas motor. A 6 cylinder will get about the same mileage as a V8 when towing and the V8 will tow better. The diesels get the best mileage and tow the best. YMMV.

well said...

tv_larsen

Houndoc said:

Like other said, Diesels come in 3/4 tons too. :rolleyes:

If you tow a 5000 lb rig, you probably will have a trailer, that will push the total weight to near 6500-7000 lbs. Yes, for most 1/2 tons that is well with in their rated towing capacity. I've towed 7000 lbs with a 1/2 ton, I won't do it again (too short, too light, suspension is too soft, brakes are too small). With a 3/4 ton Cummins (or any other full size Diesel), the journey can actually be enjoyable. If you don't understand that, you've never tried it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
once you tow with a diesel you will laugh at the guys that have gasoline motors. i went through this same thing last year and after two threads of people telling me to buy a ctd, i did it.
couldn't be happier with owning and driving a diesel truck, but i wish they put a better tranny (auto) in them. i didn't like the 6 and 5 speed i drove.
towing at 80 or faster even up hills is amazing and having a bottomless skinny pedal is nice :D

what makes my ctd 2500 not a 1 ton? dana 60 frontend, airbags and overload springs in the rear. what am i missing?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If you look closely, you'll see that same guy laughing at you for paying thousands more than he did initially, and more at the pump, not to mention maintenance costs.

Gas or diesel, it's sixes. What ever suits your needs is what you want. Don't underestimate what you need. You wont be happy if you get a small truck, but on the other hand, I think you would be just as unhappy with a big old dually diesel.

xj_punk said:
once you tow with a diesel you will laugh at the guys that have gasoline motors. i went through this same thing last year and after two threads of people telling me to buy a ctd, i did it.
couldn't be happier with owning and driving a diesel truck, but i wish they put a better tranny (auto) in them. i didn't like the 6 and 5 speed i drove.
towing at 80 or faster even up hills is amazing and having a bottomless skinny pedal is nice :D

what makes my ctd 2500 not a 1 ton? dana 60 frontend, airbags and overload springs in the rear. what am i missing?

N-Smooth

BCGPER said:
If you look closely, you'll see that same guy laughing at you for paying thousands more than he did initially, and more at the pump, not to mention maintenance costs.

Gas or diesel, it's sixes. What ever suits your needs is what you want. Don't underestimate what you need. You wont be happy if you get a small truck, but on the other hand, I think you would be just as unhappy with a big old dually diesel.

okay so you pay more, but diesels generally last longer and hold their value a lot better. as far as fuel: you might pay more per gallon, but generally get better mileage. what is more expensive about diesel maintenance? if you don't have basic knowledge, it may be more expensive because you would have to "take it in." but, if you can figure things out yourself you save.

just saying what i think about it, please enlighten me

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
All your points are valid. I'll give you my expierence. My CTD is on it's third set of fuel pumps at 230K (hard) miles. That's $1400 or $1700 (sorry, cant remember exactly) a pop, and not exactly a do-it-yerselfer job. At this same time on our gassers, I'll be well into me second engine, but for around the same dollar figure as the diesel fuel pumps, so I call it a wash.

Diesel oil change is going to cost you about twice as much as a gasser, so I figure between the additional routine maintenance costs, and higher priced fuel, The better mileage of the diesel engine is pretty well eaten up.

Yes, at 250K miles, both trucks will be running fine. Bad part is, the rest of truck is a pile of crap. Everything inside and out is shot. Do you really plan on keeping your personal truck this long? Be it gas or diesel, I dont think resale value on a worn out truck will be a big issue.

xj_punk said:
okay so you pay more, but diesels generally last longer and hold their value a lot better. as far as fuel: you might pay more per gallon, but generally get better mileage. what is more expensive about diesel maintenance? if you don't have basic knowledge, it may be more expensive because you would have to "take it in." but, if you can figure things out yourself you save.

just saying what i think about it, please enlighten me

Caleb

BCGPER said:
All your points are valid. I'll give you my expierence. My CTD is on it's third set of fuel pumps at 230K (hard) miles. That's $1400 or $1700 (sorry, cant remember exactly) a pop, and not exactly a do-it-yerselfer job. At this same time on our gassers, I'll be well into me second engine, but for around the same dollar figure as the diesel fuel pumps, so I call it a wash.

Diesel oil change is going to cost you about twice as much as a gasser, so I figure between the additional routine maintenance costs, and higher priced fuel, The better mileage of the diesel engine is pretty well eaten up.

Yes, at 250K miles, both trucks will be running fine. Bad part is, the rest of truck is a pile of crap. Everything inside and out is shot. Do you really plan on keeping your personal truck this long? Be it gas or diesel, I dont think resale value on a worn out truck will be a big issue.

I'm curious to know how the oil change costs twice as much for diesel vs. gas? I know you know what you are talking about, thats why I am curious. The fuel has only been higher priced for the last year or so amd the rest of the routine maintenance is going to be pretty much identical between trucks???

And yes, selling a truck with high miles is difficult no matter if it has a diesel or a gas engine :D FWIW, my truck is far from a pile of crap...infact if you never saw the odometer you would think it had well under 100K miles on it, most people that ride in it do not believe me it has 276K until they see it for themselves.

ALF

SURE!?
One question I want to ask the original poster is how often do you plan on towing. Yeah a 3/4 or 1 ton would be great but if you are only planning on towing a few times a year why bother :confused: My 1/2 ton has served me well and I've grossly exceeded its towing capacity few times. Don't get me wrong I'd love a bigger truck but I don't really NEED it. Hell 90% of the 1 tons on the road now CTD PS and DMAX Still have shiney tow balls from never getting used, But they sure look cool :ugh: thanks for jacking up the price for those of us that could use one.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Gasser maybe 6 or so guarts of oil, compared to 10 or more in the diesel, and generally they like to pork ya an extra buck or two for that "special" diesel filter. Also, if you're wise, you're changing that fuel filter often! Not a big worry on a gasser, so I think twice as much isn't that far off.

Hey, I'll trade ya an 02 CTD with only 230K on it straight across??? Come on, clean one owner, and has new fuel pumps too! :D

Like I said, these are HARD miles. You found a rare truck, that was obviously babied, and taken care of. The last owner probably could have gotten by with a Tacoma, but just had to have that big ol diesel. Most of us, and I think you are one too, don't really need it.

My present F*** V-10 Shorty replaced my PS stretch-cab dually. The PS was exactly what I needed at the time. Now, the V-10 is even more then I need. Bad part is, the big three leave no real middle ground. You can have thier oil burners, or thier big blocks, but nothing slightly less then that.

Supergper said:
I'm curious to know how the oil change costs twice as much for diesel vs. gas? I know you know what you are talking about, thats why I am curious. The fuel has only been higher priced for the last year or so amd the rest of the routine maintenance is going to be pretty much identical between trucks???

And yes, selling a truck with high miles is difficult no matter if it has a diesel or a gas engine :D FWIW, my truck is far from a pile of crap...infact if you never saw the odometer you would think it had well under 100K miles on it, most people that ride in it do not believe me it has 276K until they see it for themselves.

Meat_

Banned
BCGPER said:

Was it chipped? That will toast a stock injector pump.

A diesel uses twice as much oil as a gas BUT the interval on the change is twice as long.

N-Smooth

BCGPER said:

ever thought of adding a pusher pump for about 500-600 dollars? i am looking into getting a fass system right now. i just installed my fp gauge and i am not seeing the numbers i want to.
what mods do you have done to the truck? do you have a fp gauge? it is my understanding that if you get less than 5psi at wide open throttle your lift pump is getting weak. if you replace the lift pump for (like 200 bucks) you can save the injection pump from failing.
for safety reasons and just because i wanted to try one out, i bought a diesel.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Thanks for all the input guys!! I guess I won't get the smaller rig because I prolly tow the jeep every other weekend or so. (to either rattle snake or wherever else). i'm driving a f-350 powerstroke right now that my dad basically gave me till he wanted to sell it and it looks like he wants to sell it. I absolutely love to drive it and it tows awesome. I was just wondering how a tacoma would do. It sounds like the ps is the way to go. I get about 15 mpg around town and a little less when towing in the ps. it's not chipped or anything but it runs perfect. it's a 96 with 130k on it. I need something a little more economical to drive around. Is there a way to mod the ps's to get better mpg?? chip it?? If there is, I'll totally buy it from him. It sounds like this is the thing to do to tow comfortably. Sooooo, how can i better the mpg is the new question??????

Bart

You can chip it, put a larger down pipe (limit 3" on a 96) and larger exhaust, and you may get 2 or 3 mpg more. To get better on the highway slow down to 65. It's amazing how much better they get going slower. The Taco wouldn't get any better than 13 towing and you would start to go through driveline parts pretty quick towing that much. Good luck. BTW, that 96 has less miles on it than my 2001. :eek:
Bart

notajeep

Just me
BCGPER said:
Gasser maybe 6 or so guarts of oil, compared to 10 or more in the diesel, and generally they like to pork ya an extra buck or two for that "special" diesel filter. Also, if you're wise, you're changing that fuel filter often! Not a big worry on a gasser, so I think twice as much isn't that far off.
I change oil all day long. And generally we are the cheapest place in the valley (cache). Our basic service is 23.99 with up to 5 qts oil. Add that to $1.99 for each additional qt and the totals for a diesel start to add up. The average ps takes 14 qts, ctd 11-12 qts and dmax 9 qts. Then there is the added cost of the filter $5 extra for the ps and dmax and $3 for the ctd. Not unusual at all to pay up to and over $50 for a "basic service" on a diesel. And then add fuel filters, air filters, cabin air filters.....$$$$$ But this thread didn't start out as maintenance comparison, but rather mileage vs towing ability. And for that you just can't beat a diesel.

pELYgroso

'Merica
any suggestions on brands/kinds/sized of chips and exhausts?? I know there's a ton out there. Anything else to get better mileage?? How much do the brands that you'll suggest cost??

Caleb

BCGPER said:

Hey, I'll trade ya an 02 CTD with only 230K on it straight across??? Come on, clean one owner, and has new fuel pumps too! :D

Like I said, these are HARD miles. You found a rare truck, that was obviously babied, and taken care of. The last owner probably could have gotten by with a Tacoma, but just had to have that big ol diesel. Most of us, and I think you are one too, don't really need it.

My present F*** V-10 Shorty replaced my PS stretch-cab dually. The PS was exactly what I needed at the time. Now, the V-10 is even more then I need. Bad part is, the big three leave no real middle ground. You can have thier oil burners, or thier big blocks, but nothing slightly less then that.

good points, but you left out the intervals for diesel oil changes are atleast 7500 miles where gassers are usually 3000 miles (maybe 5K). At this point, I surely dont need a full size (thats why its for sale :D) but when I had a camper and was towing my buggy around I wouldn't want anything less than a full size and I chose diesel over gasser cause at the time diesel fuel was cheaper :rofl: