pickup mileage??

pELYgroso

'Merica
What's the best Pickup that will pull my xj on a trailer that gets the best mileage?? I've been told by a few that a v6 tacoma will do it. any ideas?? how are the v8 dakotas with mileage??

utahxjer

I'llpullyaout said:
What's the best Pickup that will pull my xj on a trailer that gets the best mileage?? I've been told by a few that a v6 tacoma will do it. any ideas?? how are the v8 dakotas with mileage??
I wouldn't tow a Jeep/vehicle with either of those. Your gonna want a full-size

Houndoc

One thing I noticed with SUVs is that the milage is not much better with the V6 than the V8 in most cases. I would think a V8 Dakota would do fine- but would urge trailer brakes not matter the tow vehicle.

notajeep

Just me
I agree. Pulled my truck to moab on a towbar with a 01 4runner and it struggled. Not that bad, I thought, I mean we got there ok. Got 11mpg. Then I pulled it down to moab with a F-350 powerstroke. Ohhhhh Baby! What a difference! No comparison. And got 16mpg. But if you asre set on a mid-size truck...I would vote for the toyota.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I would never tow with my Tacoma, V6 ext cab. WAAAAAY to light especially in the rearend. I have towed with a V6 4Runner, sucks but manageable, still not ideal by any means and a great way to ruin a tranny, rear end, etc...

Bart

At least a V8, the bigger the better. A full sized diesel gets as good or better mileage than the smaller V8s. Don't pull with a 6 cylinder. It'll do it, but just barely and will wear the poor little motor (and other driveline parts) out pretty fast.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
See below...... :D

Any full sized small block and I think you'll be happy. Big block, or diesel, and you'll be happier.

Don't buy a mini-truck (Yes, I include Dakota's in that). They may pull it, but it'll make an old man outta ya, and who wants to be mentally exhausted when you get to your destination (whew, we made it!)?

rust bucket said:
CTD thats all I have to say :D

toy4fun

BCGPER said:
See below...... :D

Any full sized small block and I think you'll be happy. Big block, or diesel, and you'll be happier.

Don't buy a mini-truck (Yes, I include Dakota's in that). They may pull it, but it'll make an old man outta ya, and who wants to be mentally exhausted when you get to your destination (whew, we made it!)?

What he said :hickey: But I think the newer GMC/Chevy small blocks get better MPG :D (for the small blocks)
PS What is CTD :confused:

Last edited:

KToy

my tundra did it just fine with my toyota roughly 6000 pounds with the trailer... never went below 65 up the canyon to moab...

but if i had no limit on money.... 6 speed ctd or psd

i loved my 6 speed power stroke for towing... just sucked to drive around town.

loved the tundra for both though needed trailer brakes though.

Caleb

you can always buy my F350 Powerstroke :D I get a good 15 no matter if I am towing or not (ok, so it flucuates between 14.5 and high 15s :D) I'll make ya a killer deal on it ;)

good deal

Last edited:
R

rockdog

74highboy said:
i have a friend that has a ctd f-350 thats lifted and he pulls his trailerd rover to moab and gets 18 miles to the gallon

ctd f-350 ? I've got a f-350 powerstroke, but did'nt know the cummins was ever an option. :D

Bart

Supergper said:
you can always buy my F350 Powerstroke :D I get a good 15 no matter if I am towing or not (ok, so it flucuates between 14.5 and high 15s :D) I'll make ya a killer deal on it ;)

good deal

Wow, I want your PSD instead of mine. I went to Portland IN not towing anything, got between 16.5 and 18 mpg. On the way back pulling a gooseneck with 2 buggies (about 15,000 lbs est) I averaged 9 mpg, getting as low as 7 in one spot with 30 mph head winds.

If you'll guaranty that 15 everywhere I'm an owner.

VANDALL

I would say any full size truck/SUV HD1/2 ton an bigger is the best if u dont really need a diesel?

Yes CTD r the best stock stock diesel motors out there But if u put money/time an work in any diesel motor it will be bad a$$...

VANDALL.

Houndoc

1 ton diesel to tow an 5,000 rig??? Sounds like over kill to me- sorta like a Hummer for mall speed bumps. More than what you need, but sure looks good!

Caleb

Bart said:
Wow, I want your PSD instead of mine. I went to Portland IN not towing anything, got between 16.5 and 18 mpg. On the way back pulling a gooseneck with 2 buggies (about 15,000 lbs est) I averaged 9 mpg, getting as low as 7 in one spot with 30 mph head winds.

If you'll guaranty that 15 everywhere I'm an owner.

:rofl:

*disclaimer* towing my buggy and only my buggy :D