Placing an Anchor in a Concrete floor for a winching point

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Placing an Anchor in a Concrete floor for a winching point?

My driveway has a pretty steep slope to it and it makes it impossible to push a vehicle into the garage when they are broken down. I've been thinking it would be great to have an anchor point so I would be able to just hook my winch line into it and pull the dead vehicles in.

What do you think would be the best way to accomplish this?

I have a crew cab ford truck with a long bed that needs work. I cannot close the door with it in my garage because its too long. I really don't want to leave the door open for a week while I replace the high pressure oil pump.

Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Large-ish footprint plate, made of thick-ish material with several (4?) holes for concrete anchors. Then weld a ring/hoop (cut down a U-bolt and use the round end) to the plate. The multiple anchors and large plate spread out the forces so you don't die.

Basically what you already said.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
We had a house the same way. We got pretty good at sticking an old tire between two vehicles and pushing the dead one up. We weren't cool enough to have winches back then..

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I would do two 1/2" anchors. You're only ever going to pulling a couple hundred pounds of force.
Each 1/2" wedge anchor is rated something like 3500-5000lb pull out load, and the 1/2" threaded section shears at something like 14,000lbs.

Even two (easier to drill) 3/8" anchors would be more than enough unless you're expecting huge shock loads.

Last edited:

rollover

Like Byrson pointed out I did this for tie down points.

When we built our body shop we used a 1/4 plate 12"x12" cut a hole for one link to fit through and slid a bolt through the plate for the link on the back side. Next we welded the bolt on bottom and the chain on top. Then we slid a 3" pipe 6" long over the chain and pulled the chain 4 links above top of the the pipe length and welded to the chain a round cap that covers the pipe end. We cemented them in place in the floor for pull point through-out the shop. Flush when not in use then pull the cap up and raise the chain to pull from.
I hope I explained the concept so it's understandable.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

I have made a couple of these for my toyota to get into garages since its been in the building stage for a while. I just drilled holes for 2-1/2" wedge anchors about 6 inches apart. Drilled the holes down about 4 inches and had a tab sticking up in between for a 3/4 in shackle. I have done one into the floor and one into the backwall of the garage both never failed through a few uses. I used 1/4" material for the H with one leg cut off.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You could weld one of these on, so it sits mostly flat when not in use. (assuming your floor is already poured, so you can't do a recessed cool one like rollover said)

weld_on_D_rings.gif

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would drill in three or 4 rock climbing anchors with a self equalizing webbing set up.

Or you could find that old guy that pulls cars with his teeth and become his friend..

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
This seem overly complicated.

I'd drill a 3/4" hole in the floor with a slight tilt away from the door, drop a piece of 5/8 rebar or other solid stock (3/4 if the hole allows), drop your shackle over it so it lays on the floor, winch the truck in and call it a day.
If you fold over 5/8" rod moving a truck on wheels, you need to release the e-brake or take it out of gear

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My floor was laid a long time ago. I'd rather just drill some redheads into the slab and bolt a plate to those. Those weld on D-Rings would work great. I've used them before on custom built bumpers.

Anyone have pictures of their set-ups?

Brad J

I got a very nice letter from Woods Cross City saying that a neighbor complained about my Unlicensed, Unregistered, Partially Disassembled Vehicle in my driveway. I have had the front suspension off of it until I can get all of the parts that I need. My driveway is not a steep slope but enough to make me nervous to get my Trailblazer in there with wheel dolly's under it. I made an anchor & winched it into the garage & it worked great. I used 3/8" bolts but one stripped out so I put in a 1/2" bolt in place of that one.

IMG_3459 winch in use sm.jpgIMG_3462 sm.jpgIMG_3513 sm.jpgIMG_3511 sm.jpg