Colorado Planning a trip from GA - looking for ideas.

Hey guys, I'm in the Navy and about to get sent back to a ship so I'm planning a big trip out that way later this year before potentially mothballing my crawler for 4 years. Me and some buddies from The GA Cruisers, a chapter of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association, are tentatively looking at a week out there later in '13. Any suggestions, tips, ideas, constructive criticism, etc., are welcome.

First and foremost I'd love to know just how bad the weather is in places at certain times so I can try planning around that. Currently looking at Holy Cross, 21Rd, Rangely and a few days in Moab, tentatively planned for October - all easily subject to change depending on the advice from this forum. Hoping to get opinions from locals that know the area well and can offer detailed info. Would certainly not be against having some local wheelers join in with us to keep us on the right trail and to show us some cool spots that maybe we'd miss otherwise.

Thanks in advance guys!

Steve M.
:usa: IT2 (SW)

PS - Someone out there may know my truck since it came from CO. It's a green xcab Yota mini called The Gecko; previously owned by Randy Rosetta and most of the fabwork done by RedLine Land Cruisers.

zkeys

A little cold or a little hot I'm fine with, but triple digits or snow & ice I don't want.

You may run into issues in October with snow for the Holy Cross portion. The elevation is a little higher in that area than 21rd or Rangely. You probably would not have a huge snow pack, if at all, on HC, but it may make your highway travel difficult if they get an early season storm at the right time.

Moab would be perfect.

Zack

You may run into issues in October with snow for the Holy Cross portion. The elevation is a little higher in that area than 21rd or Rangely. You probably would not have a huge snow pack, if at all, on HC, but it may make your highway travel difficult if they get an early season storm at the right time.

Moab would be perfect.

Zack
I knew I came to the right place for good info!
Thanks Zack, that's something I had not even considered. VERY good to know.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
IMO Rangely is pretty hardcore, it's a neat playground but the penalty for failure is high... lots of nutty challenges and plenty of potential for damage. If that's your thing, you'll love it. :D

IMO Rangely is pretty hardcore, it's a neat playground but the penalty for failure is high... lots of nutty challenges and plenty of potential for damage. If that's your thing, you'll love it. :D
Penalties in what regard? Like broken parts and body damage or rolling off a cliff or down a long hill? I'm all about hardcore, but not as much for stupid steep with high probability of way more than flopping.

In general, is it worth a day trip on my way from Holy Cross to Moab? Seems like a heck of a long way outta the way so it'd have to get some high recommendations.

Greg, I see by your sig that you're in Fruita. You're pretty familiar with 21 Rd I'd guess. Want to join the small group and wheel/guide? Not that 21 Rd has any real way to get lost or turned around, but I'm still hoping to have at least one "local" at each place we go just to play it safe. Anything I can do to make each trail go off without a hitch and get everyone out as timely and unbroken as possible.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Penalties in what regard? Like broken parts and body damage or rolling off a cliff or down a long hill? I'm all about hardcore, but not as much for stupid steep with high probability of way more than flopping.

In general, is it worth a day trip on my way from Holy Cross to Moab? Seems like a heck of a long way outta the way so it'd have to get some high recommendations.

High penalizes like rolling over in a bad place, very good chance of breakage, etc. Most of the trails/obstacles are competition-type stuff... gnarly and mean.

I can't tell you that it's worth the trip, IMO you have plenty on your plate already and you're driving all over to get to Holy Cross, then Moab, etc. If you wanted to go to Rangely, my recommendation would be to make it the last stop... so if you tear up your ride, you won't cut your trip short.

High penalizes like rolling over in a bad place, very good chance of breakage, etc. Most of the trails/obstacles are competition-type stuff... gnarly and mean.

I can't tell you that it's worth the trip, IMO you have plenty on your plate already and you're driving all over to get to Holy Cross, then Moab, etc. If you wanted to go to Rangely, my recommendation would be to make it the last stop... so if you tear up your ride, you won't cut your trip short.
My thoughts exactly. For that same reason I'm thinking of reversing the trip and doing Moab first then Billings then 21 Rd then Holy Cross.

Did you see my edit of my last post about 21 Rd? Same applies for Billings Canyon.

Greg

Admin
... Greg, I see by your sig that you're in Fruita. You're pretty familiar with 21 Rd I'd guess. Want to join the small group and wheel/guide? Not that 21 Rd has any real way to get lost or turned around, but I'm still hoping to have at least one "local" at each place we go just to play it safe. Anything I can do to make each trail go off without a hitch and get everyone out as timely and unbroken as possible.

My thoughts exactly. For that same reason I'm thinking of reversing the trip and doing Moab first then Billings then 21 Rd then Holy Cross.

Did you see my edit of my last post about 21 Rd? Same applies for Billings Canyon.

I would be more than willing to meet up with you guys, not sure that I'll have a capable rig at that point though. It would depend on what days you are here, what's going on at work, etc.... but October should be a great time to be out this way.

I would be more than willing to meet up with you guys, not sure that I'll have a capable rig at that point though. It would depend on what days you are here, what's going on at work, etc.... but October should be a great time to be out this way.
Cool. I'm sure we'll have seats if you don't have a rig. Hopefully you're subscribed here and just hit me up when the time gets closer; I'm sure I will have forgotten who said what by then. [Maybe I'll be smart enough to go back and reread this thread from the beginning at that point]

How far up is Rangely from GJ area? It seems like a pretty good haul; like 1.5-2 hours maybe.

Greg

Admin
Cool. I'm sure we'll have seats if you don't have a rig. Hopefully you're subscribed here and just hit me up when the time gets closer; I'm sure I will have forgotten who said what by then. [Maybe I'll be smart enough to go back and reread this thread from the beginning at that point]

How far up is Rangely from GJ area? It seems like a pretty good haul; like 1.5-2 hours maybe.

You bet, perhaps send me a reminder PM a week or 2 before you get here... I will have forgotten by the time several months go by. :D

Rangely is about 1.5 hrs, but it's a pretty good haul over Douglas Pass... steep and curvy with several switchbacks. Hopefully your tow rig & trailer have good brakes, because you'll be using them!

You bet, perhaps send me a reminder PM a week or 2 before you get here... I will have forgotten by the time several months go by. :D

Rangely is about 1.5 hrs, but it's a pretty good haul over Douglas Pass... steep and curvy with several switchbacks. Hopefully your tow rig & trailer have good brakes, because you'll be using them!
I'll definitely send reminders to all who end up wanting to help/ride/guide/wheel etc.

I think that drive may be the final straw to eliminate Rangely. I didn't realize it was over another pass. My brakes are pretty good but Id rather not have to test them on a daily basis. Thanks.

flexyfool

GDW
Personally, I would drive straight to Moab and spend all your time there. It is the place with the highest concentration of trails. You can get settled in and easily spend 2 weeks all in a 20 mile radius. The weather is very nice in October. It has convenient hotels, campsites, rentable condos and houses, restaurants, and other extra-curricular activities. Buy the guidebook and explore. There are also always groups of wheelers at the hotels and campgrounds that you can hook up with.

The Grand Junction trails are only 2-3 hours from Moab so you are not really breaking the highway miles up that much by stopping there. I've been to Billings/Bangs, 21 Road, and Montrose. They are certainly noteworthy, but I don't think they are worth the effort for you. The wheeling and scenery is similar to Moab. If you want elevation, Moab has the LaSalle mountains. They must be 10,000+ ft elevation.