Colorado Planning a trip from GA - looking for ideas.

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
It is hard to say what I would do...

1. Holy Cross is a cool trail. There is ample parking along the main access road, we had 5 tow rigs with trailers in our camping spot and with just a little work it all worked out fine. The trail itself is fun. If it is wet it can be really hard, dry not too hard. Cool views, unfortunately October will be just a little late for Fall colors. Temp could be mild in the 60s. It could also get extremely cols (like highs in teh 30s and over night in the single temps). I typically consider a July to early September trail.

2. Rangely is a great place to wheel. I would respectfully disagree that it is hardcore... The area is basically a free for all and you can go anywhere. This attracts people who do just that... Go anywhere. A full day of wheeling will get you through most if not all of the hard obstacles. There are some really cool guys in Rangely, look up the Rangely 4x4 club. They are a mix of young and old. Usually you can get one of the older retired guys to tour you around etc. However October could be hunting season and many maybe hunting. If a person ecplores there is some really fun stuff for all types of wheelers.

3. 21 road... Sadly this is one trail I have never been on. I can not provide much input.

4. Moab, is the mother load. If it were a vacation I would at least try to do most. If I was looking at going hardcore then Moab.

Flexy/Plum, great insight. Thanks.

Seems that most keep nudging/leaning me towards Moab for all or most of the trip. I've gotta reveal my feelings on Moab now to see how far off I am.

Let me start with a small disclaimer by saying that my experience is quite limited so this is not a greatly informed "rant". I only got to do Fins N Things at Moab and only made it to Toyota Rock on 21 Rd before deciding that carnage was inevitable for me past that.

When I went to Moab and 21 Rd it was in a pretty unbuilt rig. Moab was beautiful and fun, but not quite the level of technical wheeling I'm into. Don't get me wrong, I love me some views and cool ledges and cracks, but steep hills are way less desirable to me than the rocks and canyons around Grand Junction. I'd much rather flop 10 times than roll once, and to me, that's kinda the difference between the two places. If you go over in some places at Moab, you might not stop for a while; around GJ, you're not gonna get far in a roll - generally. Also, my rig is ALL gearing, no horsepower and no stickies, so momentum hills and hot tubs/bowls are all gonna be no-go's for me anyway. Lastly, even though they're not stickies, the last time I drove 20-30 minutes on blacktop (like I've heard you sometimes do around Moab), I could noticeably see the difference in the tread wear on my SX's - and that was aired up to ~20 from 5.

In short, from all I've seen on the net through a LOT of recent research and in my little bit of experience out there, if I could only pick one single trail to do, it'd be 21 Rd.

I'm totally cool with anyone telling me how wrong I am, but please elaborate on why so I can get a complete understanding. Pics showing why or how awesome places are would be great too. (I've been all over traildamage.com already - great site!)

flexyfool

GDW
Fins-n-Things is not wholly representative of Moab. Here is a brief categorization of the hard Moab trails:

Fins-n-Things, Hells Revenge, and Moab Rim have the huge slabs of slick rock and hot tubs that are scary until you get comfortable with the terrain. These would not be the 1st trails I would run if new to the area.

Coyote Canyon, Pritchet, and the stuff in BFE are the "technical" trails.

The rest of the trails, like the stuff up on Poison Spyder Mesa and further away from the village, have a mix of smaller slabs and hot tubs, smaller ledges, and some boulders. Long trails. Long gravel/dirt access roads. Highway driving. Many intermediate obstacles.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
21 Road is awesome, if crawling boulders is your cup of tea than you're on the right track. Once yo get up past the overhang, the rocks get BIG and the challenge goes up.

Even without big engine power and sticky tires, Moab is like nothing else. Area BFE has just about anything to offer, plus Pritchett, Hells Revenge, etc.

**Sorry for the chopped up reply; lots of different answers to things**

Fins-n-Things is not wholly representative of Moab.
I kinda figured that'd be the main response I saw; Hence my little "disclaimer". :)

Coyote Canyon, Pritchet, and the stuff in BFE are the "technical" trails.
Pritchett is high on my list. BFE is on the list but that's one you gotta drive a ways, right? And what's up with Coyote? I've never heard of that one. Got any more info?

21 Road is awesome
Agreed!

if crawling boulders is your cup of tea than you're on the right track.
:thumbs:

Once yo get up past the overhang, the rocks get BIG and the challenge goes up.
Yup. Like I said, I made it to Toyota Rock in an unlocked Yota on 35" AT's at street pressure - I could tell that carnage was in my near future if I continued. HATED having to turn around but still loved what I saw.

Subscribed, 21road is on my bucket list.
Completing 21 Rd is on my bucket list. :D

Moab is way more than Fins and Things. Golden Spike, Hell's, Pritchett, Moab Rim, Pickle, etc.
Those are all on my list - except "Pickle". Like Coyote, I've not heard of this one either. Got any more info?

Bump.

This trip was all but cancelled for a while since my one definite and one hopeful both had to drop out. But now there is some new light that may get it back on the calendar. Not really anything new to put out at the moment, just hoping to keep the conversation going.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Like most people on here I'm on the Moab Train!! IMHO nothing beats it. there are so many different types of trails. I have only been on one of the BFE trails, Strike Ravine, but it is one of my favorites. I would check out traildamage.com again there is a huge list of Utah trails, the majority are in or around Moab.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a huge parking area at AreaBFE? Check out this link for info on area BFE http://www.rme4x4.com/forumdisplay.php?68-Area-BFE and download the AreaBFE trail guide android app. 9 trails, 7 are rate intermediate to expert. CAN'T BEAT MOAB!!!

Thanks for the input Thardy. My thoughts on going to Moab have not been great for one major reason: My crawler does not like higher speeds or long drives and that's a lot of what Moab is. However, I just picked up an SAS Taco that is fully streetable so, if I can bring it too, I'll just use it for the majority of the Moab trails. That being said, I'm also debating taking even more time off for this trip since I may now be able to spend a lot more time on Moab trails.

You should go to Sand Hollow...
Unlike most trails in Moab that can have vast (beautiful) expanses between obstacles, Sand Hollow is unrelenting crazy obstacle after obstacle... And you will be able to push your rig to the verge of its capabilities within a 1/4 mile... And if ya break there's a reservoir and sand dunes to play on!

neagtea

Supporting Member
IT2,
Patriot, holy cross, carnage canyon, Montrose, Grand Junction, Moab.
The first three look up a little used website called rock junkies they can help with the front range stuff.
Thanks for serving

sswens1

You should go to Sand Hollow...
Unlike most trails in Moab that can have vast (beautiful) expanses between obstacles, Sand Hollow is unrelenting crazy obstacle after obstacle... And you will be able to push your rig to the verge of its capabilities within a 1/4 mile... And if ya break there's a reservoir and sand dunes to play on!

Exactly. If you like hardcore, go to sand hollow.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Anybody got any pictures, videos or links to Sand Hollow? I saw a few videos on YouTube but they didn't look too extreme.

I don't have any video but there are some gnarly trails down there.

Rough climb
IMG_0413%20(Medium).JPG

Cool spot on Nasty Half
IMG_0494%20(Small).JPG

IMG_3544.JPG

tracy-pickle2.JPG

Same spot with my Jeep...
marc-goodspotters.JPG

http://www.marbryson.com/Sat-2011crawlfest.html

http://www.marbryson.com/Oct2010-stgeorge.html

DSCF5111%20%28Medium%29.jpg

http://www.marbryson.com/jan10.html

St. George doesn't suck. There are at least 4-5 trails I wouldn't take my Jeep on down there. There are a few that are of the milder type as well. I've ran Jon's Trail, Nasty Half, the Maze and a couple others. Good stuff

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I lied. I do have some video, I guess

The BEST save I've ever seen
[video=youtube;wwlud59IZic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwlud59IZic&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

My climb from the first picture
[video=youtube;W64mgoir9Zw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W64mgoir9Zw[/video]

Last edited:

rollover

Contact Bryan at "ACC (Alanta Custom Cruisers) Toyota" for all you trail info. He is a Vendor on IH8MUD and sponsors many events through out the year back there.

Last edited:
mbryson - Thanks. Those are some nice pics and vids; just what I was hoping for. I figured there must be a reason y'all mentioned it other than what I saw on YT.

rollover - I know Bryan; Wheeled with him, and at his events, many times and I'm originally from Atlanta. You saying talk to him about his events in the southeast or talk to him about this trip?

rollover

Talk to him about the trip and where to go back there. You being from there changes that some due to your own knowledge of the area.
He may know of some less traveled trails to run out there.

sswens1

There are quite a few trip reports on this forum. Here is the last one I was part of. Great time. The Maze, Chain Reaction, Nasty Half, TNT, Double Sammy, Joint Effort, All Great trails and there are more that I haven't done yet I have only been there twice.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?96571-Easter-Week-Weekend-2013-St-George&highlight=sand+hollow

If your handy with a GPS and a computer, here are the trails mapped out with google earth.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92083-St-George-UT-Sand-Hollow-Riding-Area

Last edited:
SH does look pretty awesome. I dunno if I have enough flex or am light enough for that place though. Its also a good clip outta the way from the other stuff I was planning on - all mostly bunched up around Moab and GJ. Definitely gonna keep it in mind though, thanks!