Pony Express Route on two wheels:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Rode 10 miles West on pavement to reach the 93 highway and found our top speed to be about the same (I could still pull away). He had even geared up for the highway miles.

At Hwy 93 Jon added gas again to his tank: (1 gallon out of my backpack).

We ran north along 93 for another 11 miles until I finally ran out of gas (I sill had some in the left side of my tank opposite the pickup).
I add 1.32 Gallons (5 liters) out of my front tank.

While stopped we estimated my tank to be close to 3 gallons (likely it's 3.3 gallons based on the internet search: looks like an IMS tank).
I ran out at 195 miles and had a similar amount in the left side saddle as I did 10 miles prior in the right side saddle.
So we estimated 205 miles to empty = 62 mpg.
(It would be difficult to get that last 5 miles out of the tank without tipping the bike over to get that last little bit into the right side saddle with the petcock in it).

Jon's bike we estimated after 2 tanks full to empty based on this ride and the one prior = 47.2mpg.

Keep in mind I was consciously keeping my revs down, being mindful of aerodynamics, not accelerating too fast out of the hole and minimal idiocy (except a stretch between Callao and Gold Hill were we were racing).

Just as we pull off to fill my tank...
Jon cuts a tire.
photobucket-25650-1348985454952.jpg

photobucket-27717-1348985442413.jpg

Of course he just got new Maxxis tires from Caleb but decided: one more ride before he swapped them. HA!

384269_10151264785768628_1844242206_n.jpg

Luckily we have just passed the turn off to Blue Lake and we had service so we rode a bit till we got to a culvert under the road (the sun had started to get HOT!)
and called our ride... 3:45pm
After getting the news our ride hadn't even left SLC and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, we decided to ride a bit on the flat tire...

We got maybe 5 miles riding sideways down the road and stopped by a large rock outcrop with some shade in sight of Wendover.

Were we chilled and explored a bit for about 3 hours.

photobucket-28224-1348985449587.jpg

photobucket-22627-1348985437618.jpg

photobucket-26277-1348985440642.jpg

Cool rock formations

photobucket-30633-1348985444229.jpg

photobucket-30248-1348985446053.jpg

photobucket-8842-1348985430400.jpg

At dusk we rode a mile or two more towards town to help our ride find us (he had a tournament at 7pm) and we got to the Red Garter just before 7pm.
photobucket-15602-1348985446921.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Great report! Looks like a ton of fun :cool:
Thanks it was a lot of fun!
My friend and I have been doing a summer super activity like this for the last few years, this year life has been busy and we could only plan a 1.5 day trip.

Here is a quick time lapse video:
It's only 45 seconds
[video=youtube;q2qkOco2xXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qkOco2xXs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

TROKITA

looks like something i would be down to do :) but i have a YZF250 all stock, how many gallons did you guys end up using ????? if you guys end up doing something like this LMK might want to go with you guys :) how many miles is it ?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
looks like something i would be down to do :) but i have a YZF250 all stock, how many gallons did you guys end up using ????? if you guys end up doing something like this LMK might want to go with you guys :) how many miles is it ?

I used 3.5 gallons maybe. Jon used 5.5 gallons.

We went 215-220 miles total.

Sick trip. Wold love to do something like this when I get my bike...

THanks. We kinda wing it a little, if the schedule is too planned out I feel like there isn't time to explore if you find something cool off the main route.

Get your bike. We want to plan a dirtbike camping trip up above Bountiful (maybe Bountiful Peak) before the snow starts falling.

jentzschman

I used 3.5 gallons maybe. Jon used 5.5 gallons.

We went 215-220 miles total.

THanks. We kinda wing it a little, if the schedule is too planned out I feel like there isn't time to explore if you find something cool off the main route.

Get your bike. We want to plan a dirtbike camping trip up above Bountiful (maybe Bountiful Peak) before the snow starts falling.

Stop tempting me!!! :rofl:
I think its down to the WR450f. The 525 exc are just out of my willing price range.... Found a few on KSL, just hesitating is all... ;)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
How come you used less then ur friend ???

No mathematically sound reason: I wouldn't think 50cc's would make much difference because my bike is still faster...maybe he just fatter than me? ha

I wanted to do this trip but I was thinking a street legal bike was required. I'll be watching for your next epic ride

It would have been nicer if my bike was street legal, but it wan't too bad.

Get a bike and you can come on the next one!

Indeed looks like fun!

Isn't this the way you get to work every day? ;)

Moorskin

Pony Express Route on two wheels: you read that right.
Next weekend.
Who would be interested?
We already have a pickup truck going to Wendover to pick us up. I just need to work on the logistics of carrying enough fuel.

What if I took the deth sled and carried gas for people? It might still be a bit early to be riding on my foot and I'm not too crazy about the possibility of undoing and having to redo my recent surgery.

Moorskin

Do you reckon I'd be able to keep up in that thing? That was a fun ride and I'd like to do it again but I will say that having gas on your front fender is a tad sketchy.

Last edited:

boogie_4wheel

Put me on the list for doing some long rides.

I've got a 4gal IMS on the XR. Not sure on my range yet but on shorter rides the math works out to at least 150mi on a 15/45 tooth. I can get my hands on a 42-43t to bump it a little bit taller. A good cruising speed is 50-60mph it feels like, but winding it out I managed the high 90's on GPS I just wouldn't want to run it up that high for long. I'm trying to talk some buds to go with me to the Newfoundland Mtns out on the salt flats. That oughta give me a good scale of mpg for long-range road riding.