Poor attendance at the land use rally...what a shame!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I was late but I had gas spewing from my fuel filter all over my face.

I finally got there as they were saying goodbye and I was surprised at the complete lack of attendance. I saw SRN, Cruiseroutfitter, EZrhino, speedyvic and only a couple more people.

I really think people around here need to re-examine their priorities. Your favorite trails WILL BE CLOSED without your support....no question in any educated person's mind that our sport is dead if we don't give more than 15 4X4s to a cause like this...

You should be ashamed.

and no...work is not a good excuse...I had to finish my day at work early to fix a fuel filter to make it up there....There is no excuse!!

SpeedyVic

I, too, was more than a little disappointed by the turnout at the rally. My niehbor and I took a new trail out to Odgen Valley and ran kinda late. I was beginning to feel guilty for not being on time, until I got there.

Everyone should have dropped everything that they were doing and show the rest of Utah/U.S. that we are capable of being organized and that we will fight for what we believe in.

I think that the SUWA and the people that they are trying to influence will take yesterdays attendance as a sign that they are winning the battle.

If you were a politician that needed some votes, what side of the field would you want to be on, the winners or the losers?

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Not only that, Spence and Vic, but the most disturbing news of the day was something else I found out. This one almost makes me want to cry.

Apparently the entire American Fork Canyon trail system is slated for closure. That means EVERYTHING except the main road going up'n'over to Midway. No I'm not joking. The Uintah Forest recently completed their travel plan and apparently they want it all closed.

Maybe now people will get involved.

How much is it to ask to attend one or two "rallies" per year (we've had two so far) and give a measly $25 to an association that fights for our rights to wheel? U4WDA, USA-ALL, MACC, Blue Ribbon Coalition, etc.? The apathy in our sport is so thick you could cut it with a knife. It's disgusting.

EZ

Oh and PS, I was talking to Kurt on the way home and wondered if we should have regularly scheduled trail rides the benefit particular organizations? For example, next Saturday we wheel 5 Mile Pass or Rattlesnake or whatever and everyone that goes either donates some small amount to USA-ALL, etc. and/or becomes a member of that organization? Is it that much to ask to donate what you would normally spend for lunch or gas for a day of wheeling toward an organization that protects our rights to continue our sport?

If everyone that has a rig and goes wheeling more than twice a year joined USA-ALL they would have a budget increase in the six figure range and could make a huge difference.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
We have to be sooooo careful with Forrest service land because they have the most sweeping power in closing areas. They have a lot more power and seemingly a lot more motivation to limit access to ATV type vehicles.

I hope you guys enjoyed your trip up AF canyon...I will probably never have the pleasure of the place.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Its time to get active boys and girls...

As for joining one fo the defense groups... (U4WDA, Blue Riccon Coalition, USA-ALL)...

If your not a member, your part of the problem...

DO YOUR PART...

Its going to be really sad when you get up to Tibble Fork Resevoir to find that there is a giant gate and a big cross through ATV's and Jeeps... don't think for a minute that they would hestitate to do it if given the chance...

Like EZ mentioned, there are really a couple Saturdays in the year that these Rally's take place, make an effort to be there... I ran AF all night and made it home at 4am, slept for a couple mins. and went and picked up EZ... not only did I get to go wheelin, but I got to do the rally thing as well...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm a slacker, I was going to go, but didn't make it.

Also, on the Trail closure in the Uintas. Last week I heard that it was all Trails in the Uinta Nat. Forest that were West of the Great Western Trail.

I heard it from a guy that works for the FS in Price. I met him riding motorcycles along the Ridge Trail, where we ended up looking out over Pittsburg Lake at a elevation of 10,000 ft!

EZ, I like your idea about a benefit trail ride, what would it take to get the ball rolling on something like this? Lets lay out a plan and get it going.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Greg
...I heard it from a guy that works for the FS in Price. I met him riding motorcycles along the Ridge Trail, where we ended up looking out over Pittsburg Lake at a elevation of 10,000 ft!...

Did you go up Dry Fork Side in AF Canyon or come from Midway?
More details on your travels... :D

britney

Queen of Chit!!
You guys are absolutely right on everything. Nothing in this world is free. We shouldn't be able to enjoy our lands without helping to keep them. I'm sure the people in thes organizations work really hard on a cause that effects every wheeler equally. The least we can do is donate a little of our time or money to support their efforts.

I am ashamed that we didn't do our part this time. Because of this thread I went to Land Use Links and we are now members of USA-ALL for as little as $5.00 a month.

Thanks for your efforts Spence and for giving us a slap in the right direction. I hope others will do the same.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Oh pul-eeeze........don't expect us to give you crap about that. Family stuff takes priority over everything else.

EZ

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Fact of the matter is, everyone won't be able to make it to all of the land-use rallies and events, I know I have missed some really cool ones that I wished I could have attended (Rockgarden Work Party)

Anyways... People can show there support in more ways than attending the rallies...

Joining a club... not only does it provide channels for you to here all of the current land use issues, it makes our numbers look stronger, the more of us the better...

Paying your dues to a landuse group... wether it be USA-ALL or Blue Ribbon Coalition... every penny helps... these are the guys doing most of the work for us... inside the courtroom and out.

Being a good example on the trail... know the laws of the area you are in, know if your actions will result in future closures... help inform others of the laws...don't be afraind to tell someone they are out of line or breaking the law.

Spreading the word to others... Let others know of your beleifs, let them know about events, gatherings, online petitions, etc...

I'm sure there are others as well... :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Shawn

But it look like others don't share the same feeling.

Yeah, I was supposed to be working, then had a dental emergency, so I missed work. Fact is, Just like Kurt said. You can't make every one of them. If I took off work for every one of them, I wouldn't have any vacation left to spend with my family, so I don't feel to bad. But we did join USA ALL today if that makes anyone feel better.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
As soon as I get my pile of crap together let's have a USA_ALL benefit run. I used to be a member of BRC and haven't renewed it; I'd like to get onboard with USA-ALL.

Let's tentatively say in about three weeks or so, after the 4th of July. Let's have a run up AF Canyon. Everyone that shows up fills out a form and becomes a member of USA-ALL. If you are already a member, I'd challenge you to donate the cost of your lunch to them.

Woohoo let's do it!!!!

EZ

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Oh I can't go to that, I'm trying to make it a point to miss all land issue related gatherings....J/k Sounds good. Maybe my crap will be done by that time too.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Jeremy
... But we did join USA ALL today if that makes anyone feel better.

Makes me feel alot better (not that I was angry)... If we could get 1/2 of the land users to follow in your steps... we would be a 10x stronger group that we are now.

Good Job ;)

allterrain

AllTerrain
The new District Ranger For the Uinta just moved into my neighborhood. I am going to leave work early today and go into the office and get the scoop on the AF Canyon issue. I already had a good meeting with Larry Velarde from the office a few months go. We (you) did some great PR work over the lst few years, but all 3 of the key people transferred or retired last year. We have some work to do to get a good relationship with these new land managers.
I know they have planned to do some mine tailing work this year and I will see just how this affects us. I spoke to the new District Ranger in her Driveway (yes, HER) a few weeks ago and introduced myself. She was getting the mail in her FS uniform and I him the brakes and backed up. I introduced myself and gave her a brief history of our involvement in the canyon and she said that motorized rec was a legitimate use of the canyon and would like to know more about U4WDA and USA-ALL. She transferred from Colorado and was aware of some groups there.
I will try to have a report tomorrow. Hopefully, we can get our gloves out again and save some trails.

Thanks to all of you. We have to stand up and take action and not let the greens dictate our future. Good comments thus far. I was up above Silver Lake yesterday and saw a few idiots giving us a black eye. My fam and I did a trail cleanup for Fathers Day and packed out way too much crap!

Alan

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
When I was up there a few days ago, I ran into the FS gal that helped us plant the trees. She stopped me and said 'hi' to myself and the kids {recognized the XJ}. We've got a great relationship with the FS if we can keep it going.