Pope John Paul II passes away at age 84

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Brett said:
Well, he led the church for over 20 years, so I think that he lasted a while.

Ya that is a while ... but most of the 'other' religious leaders seem to be around a lot longer. How long has the Mo guy been around? And hasn't like Jerry Farwell been the 'Moral Majority Leader' since like the 50's. Of course in my limited religious knowledge I can't think of who leads the other churches .. like the Baptist ... protestants .. JW's .. who are their leaders?

Disclaimer: Religion can be a heated topic if you let it. My personal view is no religion is right or wrong .. it's a personal thing that only you can decide and I'm not here to tell you other wise. But I will ask lots of questions.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Webby said:
Ya that is a while ... but most of the 'other' religious leaders seem to be around a lot longer. How long has the Mo guy been around? And hasn't like Jerry Farwell been the 'Moral Majority Leader' since like the 50's. Of course in my limited religious knowledge I can't think of who leads the other churches .. like the Baptist ... protestants .. JW's .. who are their leaders?

Couldn't tell you on that, since I am not religous in anyway. Maybe someone else on here could let us know.

Caleb

Brett said:
Guess I posted this in the wrong state

:confused: there was only two that even questioned your post, one of them is from Idaho and the other has moved to Utah not too long ago (and as he said, was joking)...or is that the obligatory thing to say :rolleyes:

Its sad to see him gone but he is much happier now.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Supergper said:
:confused: there was only two that even questioned your post, one of them is from Idaho and the other has moved to Utah not too long ago (and as he said, was joking)...or is that the obligatory thing to say :rolleyes:

Its sad to see him gone but he is much happier now.

Calm down mister

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have always been interested in the Catholic church's history, architecture, and other assets. I read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" not too long ago in which a pope dies and the process of chossing another is explained in excellent detail. Great book! Same author as "The DaVinci Code".

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Hickey said:
I have always been interested in the Catholic church's history, architecture, and other assets. I read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" not too long ago in which a pope dies and the process of chossing another is explained in excellent detail. Great book! Same author as "The DaVinci Code".

Yeah, those books do get you interested in the Catholic Church. I haven't read Angels and Demons yet, but the Da Vinci Code was an excellent read.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Yep have to agree The Da Vinci Code was a good book. Not my favorite which is Lives of the Monster Dogs by Kristen Bakis

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
TRNDRVR said:
I'm kind of curious, is it a bad thing if a Mormon turns Catholic that someone is relieved that it hadn't happened?

HAHAHAHAH!!! DEFFINENTLY NOT A BAD THING......HAHAHAH......BETTER ?YES, Worse ?HELL NO!!!!

Now, to go from Mormon to Catholic to NON-Religious but Spiritual is even WAY better!
My older brother is an athiest, and at one time in my life I told my VERY catholic father that I didnt believe in god, so he turned around and told me that we would never have christmas again.....I told my brother that and he got all pissed at me and told me." Great! Now we dont get anymore presents!!""
HAHAHAHAHHA!! :D :D

I personally think that religion is intresting to observe from the outside but never be a part of in any way!!!
I dont like people telling me what to do!!! :rolleyes: :)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
lets not speculate on what religion is better than another, that is judgemental bullcrap
it is fine for you to feel that way, i encourage everyone to have opinions on religion. but don't come in here and bash certain religions

Brett

Meat-Hippy
xj_punk said:
lets not speculate on what religion is better than another, that is judgemental bullcrap
it is fine for you to feel that way, i encourage everyone to have opinions on religion. but don't come in here and bash certain religions

Dude, once again, no one is bashing any religions at all.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
xj_punk said:
Medsker said:
My dad held out for as long as he could but finally busted out laughing and had to tell him what had happened the previous night, to the relief of my brother that his five year old hadn't turned Catholic overnight.
I wasn’t bashing any religion when I originally asked my question, but I asked because I thought the above statement in Medsker's story was rather insinuating and hypocritical. Is was expressed as if it was a BAD thing for someone of the mormon religion to turn catholic, and that being catholic in their eyes was like being a lesser person. If I was a catholic, which I'm not, I would be insulted to know that my fellow believer in god looked down their nose at me because I wasn't a member of their organization.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
TRNDRVR said:
I wasn’t bashing any religion when I originally asked my question, but I asked because I thought the above statement in Medsker's story was rather insinuating and hypocritical. Is was expressed as if it was a BAD thing for someone of the mormon religion to turn catholic, and that being catholic in their eyes was like being a lesser person. If I was a catholic, which I'm not, I would be insulted to know that my fellow believer in god looked down their nose at me because I wasn't a member of their organization.
Well said.

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
xj_punk said:
but it is better to be a certain religion??? i don't agree.

AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN WHERE AT LEAST I KNOW I'M FREE!! :D ;)

At least everyone here is ALLOWED to express their own opinion. What about having your children or wives, husbands or family members shot, murdered, taken away from you for not believing in a certain religion. What if you were not allowed to leave your home or you had to hide yourself from the world?

No one is being judgemental, I am expressing my freedom of speech as you and everyone else has throughout this thread.

Like I said, I do not agree or support the majority of ideas that religion bases its beliefs on, but, I do find it fascinating to observe, along with politics. I am a spiritual person and have my personal beliefs as you do yours.

And, just like politics, religion is and will ALWAYS be a neverending debate with no conclusion. Everyone ALWAYS leaves the debate or conversation with the same beliefs they had when it all first started.

The only good thing about the freedom of speech is that, weather we are aware of it or not, we are more and more educated everyday about life and other people. Have you not learned a thing or two from this thread? ;) :p :D :D :D