POR-15

BrockSampson

Has anyone ever used this stuff?

Its supposed to be pretty durable. They call it 'powdercoat in a can'.

I was thinking of repainting all my suspension components with it.

Does anyone have a reason to NOT use it?

Thanks
Bryan

KHalls

Extendurai
I paint stuff for a living. I use it on mine.
I can tell you that this is some of the toughest paint I cave come across. It flows out nice with a brush on suspension parts and sticks like crazy to rougher metal that is prepped with metal ready. It does fade in the sun, therefore, if you want to have it, say on a bumper, you would want to shoot a topcoat on it when it is still tacky. After it dries, nothing will stick to it unless it is roughed up.
Also, it is pretty expensive, but a little goes a long way. They used to make a trial kit that has, I think a pint or so, that is not too expensive. Try it out.
If you get it on your hands, it is there to stay.
If you use it, do yourself a favor and don't get any where the lid fits on the can, or you will end up having to tear the can apart to get to it the next time.
I keep mine in a small fridge in the shop. Lasts longer that way.
My 2.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have used it. It is very brittle and would chip off the stuff I put it on very easily. I painted all my springs and shocks and it didn't last very long on the springs but the shocks stayed looking good.There could be a possibility I didn't put it on right as I am no paint expert but I followed all the directions. Was not worth the gold it costs in my opinion.

BrockSampson

Thanks for the replys.

I think I'll give this stuff a try. They do have a small starter kit that is only $20. I'll just paint a few small parts to see how it turns out.

According to there website, they have topcoats that are not sensitive to UV light. So if I do use it on everything I'll use the topcoat too.

And, even tho its a little pricey. It's still cheaper than powdercoat and I don't have strip the axles down to the bare housing.

So we'll see. This stuff sounds pretty promising.

Later
Bryan

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
There is another product out there (in fact, I was told that it bought out POR), cant remember the name right off, but it's $35 a quart and I just finished painting a CJ6 frame and will do most of the body as well, all with the one quart. We get it at a paint shop in SLC. I love the stuff, but you must spend the time prepping or it will just flake off. Your surface must be rough, so that it will bite to it. I've had good luck painting with a brush and spraying it on. USE A SPONDGE BRUSH NOT A HAIR TYPE BRUSH. Oh and I can attest that, just like the warning on the can lid says, only time will remove it from your skin.

I can get the info on it if you want it.

KHalls

Extendurai
Sure. If you can get the name of the product and where you got it that would be great.
Sounds like the price is much better.
Thanks

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Ok, here at work now. It's called Rust Seal. It's made by KBS and comes in a few different colors. I like the gloss black and the silver. We get it at Superoir Paint Supply around 1300 S and 300w. We pay $36.00 for it, but I'm not sure if we get a discount or not. We're pretty close to there, so if you'd like to come my the shop and see it in action, that'd be fine. The Rad Jeeper, 1410 S Jefferson.
Josh.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I've been eyeing that KBS stuff for a while. I talked to some one who works there and they said the owner used to work for POR-15 and decided to split off and make his own stuff.

BrockSampson

Thanks for posting the info for the KBS stuff. It looks to be the same as por 15 but a little cheaper.

Question about using this stuff. It says that you can paint right over rust. But can you paint over old paint too. Or do you need to remove all the old stuff.

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
KBS was started by the salesman that reped this area as well as one of the chemists from POR-15. The story goes that the chemist had come up with a formula that did not oxidize but the company was not interested. So the two broke off and did there own thing, Rust Seal. We have used both products. The place we buy it from switched form POR to Rust Seal being the salesman to them is the main guy.

The key to this stuff is the prep work. It works really well over sandblasted metal because it soaks it up like a sponge. If it has not been sandblasted you always want to degrease the area you are doing, POR-15's product for doing this is called Marine Clean, KBS has a similar product. If you don't degrease it will bead up. We used gallons of this stuff on the Rad Wag, I hate rust! Two coats plus on the frame and underbody. We even did it over the interior floor boards, some painted and some bare steel. We sanded the painted areas to prep it but probably not rough enough and some of it has pealed up. We probably did not degrease it well enough either.

I have heard reports of POR not holding up like the company claims. We'll see what happens. Powder coating also chipps pretty good as well. This stuff is much heavier duty than paint! If you get it on clothing it never comes out and it takes a very long time to wear off your hands.

BrockSampson

Well I got my KBS 'chassis kit' in the mail today. Won't have time to paint anything until the weekend, seeing as how it is going to take a full day to get all three coats on. Got what was left of all the old paint off the axles and links. So, they are ready for cleaning and paint. I decided to herculine the fender wells and chassis. We'll see how it holds up. I'll post up some before and after pics when I get done.

On a side note. How do you think the KBS stuff would hold up on the body. I've been thinking of using it on the lower rocker panels to help with rock chips and such.

Bryan