Possible RTT custom build.....

CJJ92yj

Let me preface this by saying that I have not fully thought out this idea, so most of this will seem like random dribble, but please throw out any ideas anyway.:D

I'm looking for the largest RTT available. So far, it looks like the Ezi-Awn Series 3 Family Tent 1200 is the largest commercially available unit at 86" x 96". While this is a large tent, and would fit 3 comfortably, I'm still thinking I want something bigger. :eek: I'm looking in the 96"x108" range. My kids are now 5 and 7 years old, but with a dog and a few years, it's gonna get cozy for sure. Maybe I just like a lot of sleeping room though. :rofl:

I realize this is pretty darned huge. I guess I should clarify that I don't intend to put this on my roof actually, but on a 4'x6' trailer. I realize it's going to cost a fair amount, and I don't really plan to save money with such an endeavor. It's just that I can't find one in the size I think I want.

I'm thinking a 48"x96" base, with a 30"x96" flip over on both sides. I've got a lot of sketches going on, and figure it's doable if I properly place hinges and set a closed height of about 14". This would give me enough room to have cushions and leave sleeping bags in the closed top. The plan then would be to go to an awning shop and have a custom tent fabric made to suit my design. I've got a design worked out to have the tent fabric support bars part of the hinge for the flip-overs. The problem I then ran into was having the tent fabric zig-zaging through the conglomeration of decks when folded closed. I am afraid I'd tend to get a lot of tears with it set up like that.

I guess I could make a 54"x96" platform, and have a single flip-over, but I'd need kickers back to the trailer and fear that much leverage on an already light trailer may not bode well, even if I had jacks on all 4 corners of the trailer. Perhaps adjustable feet on down to the ground on the flip-over may be the solution. But how to accomplish this and still have a simple setup (the wife may need to do this by herself). Ideally a simple flip and sleep would be preferred, but I realize at the size I am talking it may not be a reality. The advantage to a single-flip style is that I can maintain a lower closed profile, which I like.

So, with all that said, feel free to toss out any/all ideas that you think may be of benefit. I've read what feels like the entire internet on anything related to building a RTT, but realize I may have missed more than I've read. So feel free to toss up any links to builds and the like as well.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Check out THIS thread on ExpeditionPortal.com

First post from said thread:

Here is a product idea I’ve been kicking around for some time now and was hoping to get some feedback from the Expo community.

What if? There was a DIY Trailer / Roof top tent available? If it had an expedition / outfitter quality, canvas tent body but, you had to put in some “sweat equity” by building the folding based?

How does putting in some “sweat equity” appeal to folks?
Feedback, input, thoughts would all be greatly appreciated.

Also for folks with trailers, how tall are they? For gauging the range of height a changing room floor would need to deal with.

Some thoughts:
- Plans / guide available for building a base which includes hinge set.
- Plans / guide for DIY bows and bows sets available.
“Standard” folding, instant up design, with a few awning poles but no stakes or guide wires.
- Fabric would be highly water resistant, breathable marine quality canvas.
- Floor dimensions around 56” wide x 84” long.
- Design optimizations for trailer top applications, such as a taller door than standard RTTs so you can have an integrated awning over the door that is setup for a zip on changing room.
- In some trailer top applications, half of the folding floor could be the trailers top / lid.
- A retail price of $700-$900 for tent body, hinge set, and bow set.
- Notably less to ship that a standard RTT.
- Changing room, with full floor would retail for $225-$300
- Not sure what to do about a mattress, it’s hard to have a “one size fits all” solution.
- I know a ladder would be needed for Rooftop applications, but have not looked at this detail yet.

Here are working prototype pictures of the tent body
3315875105_a57f1053de_m.jpg
3316702286_732b901a4e_m.jpg

What do folks think?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Im not exactly sure what size the Mombasa first gen. RTT is, But it fits my family of 4 but we dont bring dogs, My kids are 8 and 6.
The only real drawback is the material the tent is made out of, But for the $$$ I can live with it.
If you ever want to see what its like, PM me, You have been to my house before ;)

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I guess I could make a 54"x96" platform, and have a single flip-over, but I'd need kickers back to the trailer and fear that much leverage on an already light trailer may not bode well

Then don't do Kickers back to the trailer instead do a pole(or 2) that is adjustable that goes to the ground to support the single fold out. you could use this pole also to grab onto and pull when you are opening the RTT to make it easier for the wife to open the tent up) I don't know what your plan is for hinges but take a look at the hinges we did on Sams RTT they work great.

As for the pop up it shouldn't be that bad. If you do 3 arch poles all going from a single center point (the poles will need to be highest adjustable and may be nicer if they are all external so you can extend them while still outside.) you could still use the hinge as the single point on your poles like you are talking this way.

If you are worried about the Zig zagging you could always rig it so you have to climb on and attach the tent to the poles but I don't think that you would have a problem with tears if you kept the poles on the outside with only a few attachment points that keep the tent roof a couple inches away from the pole itself.

CJJ92yj

Jason:
Thanks for that link. I've been scouring that site a lot and missed that one. Definitely some good ideas on there as far as the tent goes.

Brian:
I may have to take you up on that offer some time. BTW, cup check Shane for me! :D

Scott:
Yeah, the single-flip design lends itself better all around. I just dunno if I really like support poles going to the ground. I guess it's not that bad, personal taste I guess.

I like the hinges on Sam's build. I've been eyeing that thread a lot lately. I think though that with mine being a full 8' long versus his 6', I may need something else to support in the middle. Maybe I could build in a rest along the bottom of the permanent side that the flip side would set on when open.

If I made the single-flip design, I'd possibly be able to keep the poles non-adjustable being that I will have 54" to work with. Higher would be nicer, but I really don't have to be able to stand up inside. I could learn to deal with a 54" center height. However the external adjustable thing has me wondering... However, being that it will already be about 48" to the bottom of the tent, I dunno if I wanna add a full 6' on top of that. This will require more thought.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
A dude was spitballing on ExPo and came up with this.. He is going for a main kit that could be fitted to nearly any vehicle, and have entry kits that vary from vehicle to vehicle.. I'm sure this could be done.

tent001.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Some intereseting ideas on here.

I have to ask, if you are going to put it on a trailer, why not just get a tent style camper trailer? I mean you can find them at a really great price, and some of them are really small. I saw one on KSL the other day which is almost the exact same size you are talking about, it had two beds, and a space in the middle, with nothing else. I think he was only asking a grand or so. I dono, something that small and light you could easily lift and pull behind any vehicle you wanted.

Just curious. I like the drawing above, and if you were actually looking to have it on your roof then I would say go for that, but since you are thinking of pulling it behind... Heck, check out the coleman tent trailer, that thing is really cool tool.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I have to ask, if you are going to put it on a trailer, why not just get a tent style camper trailer? I mean you can find them at a really great price, and some of them are really small. I saw one on KSL the other day which is almost the exact same size you are talking about, it had two beds, and a space in the middle, with nothing else. I think he was only asking a grand or so. I dono, something that small and light you could easily lift and pull behind any vehicle you wanted.

Just curious. I like the drawing above, and if you were actually looking to have it on your roof then I would say go for that, but since you are thinking of pulling it behind... Heck, check out the coleman tent trailer, that thing is really cool tool.

You can't take a pre-fabbed camp trailer nearly as many places and they often weigh far more, just to put it in a nutshell. Sure you could SOA the camp trailer and mod it to work, but they often have thin frames, light duty axles, vulnerable body panels, etc.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad

I agree. I would think it would be alot easier to beef up the frame and suspension on a tent trailer, than it would to custom build a massive quality RTT.

But then again, I think regular ground tents have always just worked fine for me. They just don't look expeditiony. :greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I agree. I would think it would be alot easier to beef up the frame and suspension on a tent trailer, than it would to custom build a massive quality RTT.

I don't... you would dissassemble the trailer 100% before you had a structure worth starting with offroad. Add to that suspension, tongue and protection modifications and that is far more work than building a tent for a trailer he already has. Come to think of it I've really never seen a camp-trailer that is setup for decent off-road use. They are often too low, too long, too wide and too heavy for a trail such as HITR or Kokopelli, etc. My baseline is this... I'd consider it if I could pull it up and down Mineral Basin without slowing my regular pace, if it fails that its a compromised design imo :D

Mug

PHORmerly
There's a model sold at the Sportsman's Warehouse down here called Jumpin' Jack Trailer. It's a basic steel trailer that would fit 2 atvs but it folds out and has a built in canvas tent with room for a family. It's clearance isn't great, but worth looking into.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There's a model sold at the Sportsman's Warehouse down here called Jumpin' Jack Trailer. It's a basic steel trailer that would fit 2 atvs but it folds out and has a built in canvas tent with room for a family. It's clearance isn't great, but worth looking into.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/

A great trailer no doubt, but not much value imo for an 'expedition' setup. Having to unload 100% of your cargo before opening your tent would really make it a 'base camp' style setup. Great for some, my next door neighbor has one and absolutely loves it, for him and his quads, it works great. Despite that, they are heavy, light duty and have poor clearance. :)

A great trailer no doubt, but not much value imo for an 'expedition' setup. Having to unload 100% of your cargo before opening your tent would really make it a 'base camp' style setup. Great for some, my next door neighbor has one and absolutely loves it, for him and his quads, it works great. Despite that, they are heavy, light duty and have poor clearance. :)
Might I add grossly overpriced.....
$5k new:rofl:

CJJ92yj

Kurt pretty much hit all my reasons. I already have an older tent trailer. It weighs in at 2400# empty. Loaded with enough water for a few days, a cooler or two since I don't have a fridge, clothing, cooking equipment, sleeping bags, etc., I'm probably pushing 3000# loaded for my family of 4. That may not seem like much, but when pulling it with a Cherokee on anything other than flat pavement, it can be a decent workout.

My existing trailer weighs in at just over 600# empty. I figure I could add sides for around 150#. Then a roof for another 50#. So 800# plus a custom RTT in the size I am thinking would put me around 1000# empty. Assuming I loaded the same gear in this trailer, I'd be around 1500-1600# loaded versus the 3000# or so. That's a significant enough loss in weight to really count when considering expedition/overland travel.

Another thing to consider with a tent trailer is how it's constructed. You're looking at a serious upgrade and/or rebuild to make it off-road worthy. I've done enough to mine to make it somewhat capable, and it's recent trip around the GSL has really shown me how incapable it is of that type of travel. Even if you strengthen the frame, you have to consider that older ones (read - affordable enough to modify) have sides built of plywood then skinned. They just won't hold up to bumpy roads. I'm at the point now after that one GSL trip that I'm pretty much removing all the screws/bolts holding the corners together and am replacing with bigger/longer ones because of the current ones being stripped out.

Even if you had the time to put that much into readying a tent trailer for decent off-road use, you still have the size to contend with. At a full 66" wide x 98" long for the main box, it's a real burden at times to navigate on tougher terrain and trails. Being that I already have a 6'x4' trailer that is plenty stout, in my case it's really the best option. I'm likely to just end up ground tenting for a while until I can afford building a custom RTT. I've got most of the details ironed out, but the finances of it aren't there yet. building the sides and top are relatively cheap for me since I work at a steel fab shop. I'll end up buying all new steel, but if I buy through my work, I can beat the cheapest steel shops by about half. Probably be into the walls/roof for around $150 I figure, including all necessary hardware to make my box removable from the main trailer deck.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll be posting many, many pictures in a couple of weeks here. Lets just say I am in 'Off-Road Trailer' Nirvana. I've seen no fewer than a thousand different trailers in tow the last few days, hundreds of them at once at an 'off road expo'. You drive past a 'Camp Park' here and ever site has either a RTT or an offroad trailer. Pics to come :cool:

Ford Prefect

No no no, I am thinking something more like this

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=6952101&cat=209&lpid=

This thing will be gone in a heartbeat, but it would be perfect for what he wants (in so far as I know) It would be EASY to beef up if you really wanted to, and doing an SOA on it, then convert the wheels to something that will take a larger tire. You could have the entire thing ready to go for about $500 bucks, which is what you would spend on just the canvas if you wanted to DIY an RTT. Not to mention if you picked up an old axle from a similar vehicile you could use wheels and tires the same as on your vehicle, thus allowing for just one spare that you could use on the vehicle and trailer. I do like the link above for the trailer, that looks pretty decent too.

Ford Prefect

OH and I will also add...

Great on you if you want to build your own, I am not trying to convince you to stop that project. I love projects, I was merely wondering if something small like the like there would do the trick for you. When I factor in the time it will take to make it, and apply that against what I make per-hour at work, it is just too expensive to build it myself. I could us that time better with my family. That is my personal choice though. Just saying it is an option. Seeing as you already have a trailer (which I must have missed that part) then I can see your reason for wanting to build on.

I never meant that you should buy some typical highway bumper pull tent trailer, just one of the small ones, like the Coleman or something.

Anyhow, if you do build it I hope you will continue to post up here so we can see how it goes.

By the way, on that drawing, I was thinking, if you made two RTT's and then used a water tight zipper you could connect the two and still keep it a nice tight tent. (which would be pretty cool to have an RTT that slept four comfortably... hehe Good luck with the build!